what documents do i need before i can put new private plates on ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sir Chumpalot

hi all, i have just recently purchased new number plates from the DVLA. i have recieved a V948 (authorisation certificate) new tax disc, V750 (DVLA receipt), and a new VT20 (MOT certificate)

i have not yet recieved the V5 log book, can i still display my plates without this?

Many thanks

James

hi all, i have just recently purchased new number plates from the DVLA. i have recieved a V948 (authorisation certificate) new tax disc, V750 (DVLA receipt), and a new VT20 (MOT certificate)

i have not yet recieved the V5 log book, can i still display my plates without this?

Many thanks

James
Yes

Yes you can put them no problem

yes - the V948 should be proof that you are entitled to the registration and that accompanied with proof of id (your driving licence) should satisfy the plate maker and get a set of plates made up for you.

Did you buy your tax disc online/over phone or in person at a Post office?

I ask this as if it was via the PO your new cherished index may not be assigned on the DVLA system at this time (PO workers only look at the paper work they do not conduct realtime live checks). DVLA is goverment run dont forget, just because you have one or two bits of papaer does'nt means its on all of them yet! Should you have used this option i would stongly advise you NOT to drive with your new plates untill the new format V5, big red thing now, is in your possession.

If it was with the DVLA direct phone/internet then your good to go as police, if you get stopped etc, get thier records from them direct (would have though the paper work should give advice on this though) and can enusre you are entiled to be in possession of the vehicle etc.

Last edited:

Many thanks

James

All of this you received from DVLA themselfs so your OK for the plates to go on.

All very interesting and useful information...

Do you also need to inform your insurer? And will they send you new Certificate of Insurance showing the new (private) registration mark? And are you technically not insured if you do not notify your insurer and you drive the car with the new plates and the old (un-modified) insurance certificate?

You would need to inform your insurer, whether it counts as uninsured I don't know but when I enquired about the process then my insurer told me it didn't count as a change of details (which they usually charge for) as it's still the same car... Best to keep it up to date anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom