What does Approved Used really mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GJL

Car
E220 CDI Avantgarde
I was the victim of a "no fault claim" incident when a young chap crashed into my parked Mercedes. I insisted it was repaired by a Mercedes garage. The Mercedes mechanics looked at the damage and informed me that the car had 1) had a quarter panel (rear driver side) replaced and had 2) had a further accident repair on that same panel after that. The second repair had been carried out badly such that the damage caused by the recent accident could not be carried out without rectifying the previous repair. The young chap's insurance company will not pay for that repair (betterment) soI am left with the bill for that aspect of the repair. My question is, what can one expect when buying an "Approved Used" car from Mercedes? "in short we have taken a very long look at it before you take your first" is their proud website boast. Is it unreasonable to expect a "bad repair" as stated by their own repair centre to be spotted when they carry out their check? I am outside of warranty on the purchase but still believe Mercedes to have owed a duty of care for my purchase. Any thoughts gratefully received.

I very much doubt bodywork will be covered by any warranty. Its cosmetic at the end of the day.

"Approved Used" generally means they've got the Saturday carwash boy to check the oil level and that the lights work so that they can charge you extra.

The 'Approved' program means it will come with at least 12 months warranty, as well as other benefits listed on the MB website.

I thought that one of the qualifying elements of being an approved car was that it hadnt had any substantial damage repaired.

Or was I dreaming that?

need to look at the small print I guess but I could have sworn there was something along the same lines that came up on here before.

Yep very basic it would appear.

Approved used is mostly about the warranty.

GJL wrote:
"The young chap's insurance company will not pay for that repair (betterment) soI am left with the bill for that aspect of the repair."

Ah, yes, I see your position now. The boy's bash has forced you into buying a repair you wouldn't otherwise have bothered with.

Last edited:
Many thanks. The post was born more out of irritation than anything else. I am currently speaking with MB to see what can be done. I rather expect a fob off, but as the MB repair shop themselves stated that the second repair had been badly carried out and that the wheel arch was mis-shapen I believe it is a fault that one could expect to have been noticed, particularly when I was told that they measure paint thickness etc. I will let you know how things progress in case it is of any use to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom