What does EGR delete actually do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jacksona

Car
2014 SL 350 AMG Sport, Cavansite Blue, Porcelain Leather
Probably a stupid question, but what does an EGR delete do? If I get a remap, is it something that can be done at the same time? Is it just a software change? Any downsides?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, i also will join you in asking what it actually does and what benefits?

Celtic offer this but didn`t get around to talking about it when i had the remap done, i don`t have the DPF on the motor either.

Rather than pass some exhaust gases back into the engine, it will pass them straight out the exhaust

Thanks, but I'm none the wiser.

Surely, someone can explain what the benefits & downsides are...?

The egr allows some of the exhaust to burn unburnt fuel by recycling it back into the engine,all to do with emissions.

Benefit: because very dirty diesel exhaust gasses are not put back into engine, only (relatively) clean air flows through intake manifold and swirl flaps will not be clogged (and saves you perhaps expensive repair). Perhaps engine runs slightly better economy too compared to situation where exhaust gasses are put it cyl (I bet you won't notice it).

Downsides: Since emissions get higher, you won't save the planet. Engine warming is slower too.

Last edited:
Instead of the engine ingesting some exhaust gases ( to aid NOx emissions) along with good clean air, deleting the EGR as already mentioned by bob6600, the engine is only taking in clean air. The more air the better fuel burn, the better the power produced. Also too, EGR's get clogged from carbon build up and can cause engine running issues like rough idle and hard starting.

The function of the egr valve =[exhaust gas recirculation] valve is to re-introduce some of the burnt exhaust gas from the exhaust manifold back into the inlet manifold to mix with the air/fuel mix. This gas is mainly inert [can't burn]as its already been combusted- this has the effect of lowering the combustion gas temperature in the cylinder- which in turn reduces the Oxides of Nitrogen NOx in the resultant exhaust gases to fulfil emissions regulations. This may reduce power and the unit often goes wrong as it has to cope with switching very hot exhaust gases. The result of EGR removal is increased exhaust NOx emissions[YOUTUBE]lL_ElXQVJo8[/YOUTUBE]

So would the EGR delete make it more likely to fail the MOT emissions test or does it not really make too much difference?

So would the EGR delete make it more likely to fail the MOT emissions test or does it not really make too much difference?

I've never heard of a car failing because of the EGR delete, it's a common modification too. From my understanding it only allows 5-10% of exhaust gases back into the cylinders so not a major amount.

My previous car was a Jaguar X type 2.2d. Was blowing far too much black smoke when accelarating hard ( was damn quick for what it was). Anyway I friend who was a mechanic suggesting simply blanking the EGR valve off. Brought a metal plate ( around £3.00) from ebay and he just placed it in front. Took about 20mins and the results were instant. Smoother, faster and far far less smoke. I recall him explaining in laymans terms, that the plate blocked the used dirty and hence crap air going back into the engine. To put it simple, it was like giving someone fresh air to breath rather than air full or carbon dioxide etc....

Some really useful responses. Thanks! [emoji106]

My previous car was a Jaguar X type 2.2d. Was blowing far too much black smoke when accelarating hard ( was damn quick for what it was). Anyway I friend who was a mechanic suggesting simply blanking the EGR valve off. Brought a metal plate ( around £3.00) from ebay and he just placed it in front. Took about 20mins and the results were instant. Smoother, faster and far far less smoke. I recall him explaining in laymans terms, that the plate blocked the used dirty and hence crap air going back into the engine. To put it simple, it was like giving someone fresh air to breath rather than air full or carbon dioxide etc....

Too bad in Mercedes this works only earliest models of W202/W210 etc... any newer triggers limp mode. But there is a tweak that disables it in newer models, and of course if someone gets more power via remapping, EGR delete is easy and cheap to perform at same time.

I have just been on to Celtic as they have the EGR Delete available and they said when i had my remap it should of been included when loaded but i did not ask for it so it will be £195 to have a mobile chap come out to redo it all again?

So anyone getting a Celtic remap ask for the EGR Delete and it is included FREE

I have been thinking all the time about this EGR Delete and it should then stop the oil leaking from the return hose down onto the inlet port shut off motor and into the turbo which supposedly packs up because of oil intrusion.

I have the newer updated red sealing ring on the turbo and it has stopped any leakage as i check every month for any oil on the bolt heads!

Of course then this Delete also has the advantage of preserving more the flaps in the inlet manifold from crudding up together also with the EGR valve itself.

It all follows through because then the vary turbo blades won`t get crudded and remain easy to move and then avoids putting pressure on the Turbo Electrical Actuator so it does not wear so quickly.

So if you add up all these advantage with cost in ££££££`s and also time and inconvenience then the EGR Delete must be a big MUST DO...

OK, so is it enough just to get the software changed to disable EGR, or must the hardware be removed/blanked off as well - and if so, does it all need to be done at the same time?

OK, so is it enough just to get the software changed to disable EGR, or must the hardware be removed/blanked off as well - and if so, does it all need to be done at the same time?

Just electronics and a disconnect of an electrical plug.

No, the amended map removes the signal to valve that opens this applies to vacuum or electrically operated valves.

I had one on a Honda diesel, it was dyno before and after. The yield was about 4hp but it increased temp.

Overall I found it worthwhile and good not to have to clean it out every 20k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom