What does it feel like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TDE1

MB Enthusiast
Car
MB & BMW
To have created a new human being?

(Didn't want to impose on Shude's great news, but it got me wondering...)

Can anyone put it into words? The emotions, the pride, the achievement? The responsibility!

Not being a dad (yet, but trying :)), I can't begin to imagine what it must be like.

Do tell.

The horror - they are born with totally black eyes !!! Well when they first come out their pupils are so large they look like it. Noone told me this and I thought I have spawned the girl from V and was waiting for the forked tongue !!!

The shock - that you are no longer only responsible for yourself !!!

The fatigue - seriously, they all tell you that you won't sleep again and you think they are joking - THEY ARE NOT !!!

The poverty - look in your wallet, see £100, look again and see that none of it will be spent on you.

The conflict - you love your children because you are told you should, but you really do want to throttle them when they peel the wallpaper off the walls, keep you up all night, throw up over you when you are late for work and don't have enough time to change.

The jealousy - when the den or the office, becomes the nursery. When your 4 year old has a bedroom twice as big as the room you had when you were 16.

The pecking order - you are last, look up and see the amoeba looking down at you.

The cliche - they grow up so fast - honestly, it is terrifying how quickly they grow up and are arguing with you, using extremely advanced arguing skills that your wife trains them in whilst you are assembling IKEA furniture for the third largest room in the house, which isn't your either.

The joy - well apart from all of the above, they're what you were put on the planet to make, they give you no end of joy, the moment when she comes home and has won the marvellous manners trophy or swam her first lap or scored his first try or lost his first tooth.

Wouldn't swap mine for all the money in the world...

Last edited:
What a lovely and thought provoking thread, as many people take for granted childbirth.

I have found it the most over overwhelming journey of emotions that you could experiance. Learning new lessons everyday as instinct and intuition guides you on a journey of discovery along with mistakes, highs and lows.

The feeling of being a super hero and protecting, nurturing and the knotted feeling in your stomach when they have a tumble, feeling unwell and them not being able to tell you what is wrong.

The concern of what type of world and society will they grow up in and the dangers of living in real wide world.

The most precious gift you could ever recieve.

Regards.

The horror - they are born with totally black eyes !!! Well when they first come out their pupils are so large they look like it. Noone told me this and I thought I have spawned the girl from V and was waiting for the forked tongue !!!

The shock - that you are no longer only responsible for yourself !!!

The fatigue - seriously, they all tell you that you won't sleep again and you think they are joking - THEY ARE NOT !!!

The poverty - look in your wallet, see £100, look again and see that none of it will be spent on you.

The conflict - you love your children because you are told you should, but you really do want to throttle them when they peel the wallpaper off the walls, keep you up all night, throw up over you when you are late for work and on't have enough time to change.

The jealousy - when the den or the office, becomes the nursery. When your 4 year old has a bedroom twice as big as the room you had when you were 16.

The pecking order - you are last, look up and see the amoeba looking down at you.

The cliche - they grow up so fast - honestly, it is terrifying how quickly they grow up and are arguing with you, using extremely advanced arguing skills that your wife trains them in whilst you are assembling IKEA furniture for the third largets room in the house, which isn't your either.

The joy - well apart from all of the above, they're what you were put on the planet to make, they give you no end of joy, the moment when she comes home and has won the marvellous manners trophy or swan her first lap or scored his first try or lost his first tooth.

Wouldn't swap mine for all the money in the world...

Fantastic! I must be mad, as not a word of that has put me off (and I'm sure it wasn't meant to). Sounds like you've adored every second of it:)

The thought of being tooth fairy, swimming coach, mentor etc would have scared the bejeesus out of me once. So did the idea that I would get broody one day!

Bit of a bugger to find out they do not come with an instruction manual nor a Mute button

To have created a new human being?

(Didn't want to impose on Shude's great news, but it got me wondering...)

Can anyone put it into words? The emotions, the pride, the achievement? The responsibility!

Not being a dad (yet, but trying :)), I can't begin to imagine what it must be like.

Do tell.

The hardest job you'll ever have, but also the most rewarding.

Mozzer has hit the nail on the head with his post, very thoughtful and honest.

Is it only mine that are a pain in the @rse then?

Only kidding apart from the delivery, which to be honest wasn't the best day(s) out I've ever had, they have made my life better than I could imagine and I hope to reciprocate that. I am so proud of everything they ever achieve, even when it is only crawling and blowing raspberries, and as a bonus they have made me love and appreciate my wife more than ever. I just cannot believe we put it off so long.

On the flip side they have turned me into a potential murderer!!

Whatever you feel towards nieces/nephews/children of friends is NOTHING like what you will feel for your own.

And at any tme they will be able to bring a tear to your eye, whether through happiness or sadness.

Fabulous.

Remember, it's easy to be a father, but the hardest job in the world to be a dad.

Absolutely agree with Mozzer.

I wasn't quite prepared for the purple conehead handed to me that has evolved into the strapping 17-year old Master E. Or for the perfect pink bundle that arrived a few years later (after a dramatic labour and C-Section where I felt my whole world was going to fall apart before my eyes) - now a perfect pre-teen madam!

I also appreciate more everything my Mum and Dad did for me - they look at my two and smile (calling it divine retribution, I think). Nothing anyone can say will prepare you for the highs and lows - or those times when they throw an arm around you and say "I love you,Dad" for no apparent reason...

Mind you, it's half-term next week so I'm not sure if I'd give the same response next Friday!

What a sweet thread.
All I can add is that they will make you cry.
Read into that what you will.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 129
Good thread. Junior BTB is 4 now, can't believe how quickly it's gone.

pic19.jpg

pic01.jpg

Didn't want to impose on Shude's great news, but it got me wondering
So far it's been equal parts joy and terror, suspect it will be like this for a while!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom