What does kickdown do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Olivier

MB Enthusiast
Car
E300 TD
Hello, just learned yesterday that there is a kickdown switck ant the end of the pedal. I am pretty sure I have never use it as when I floor the pedal I just floor it, not stamp it.
What is the kickdown for? What does it do?
Thank you.
Olivier

Kickdown forces the auto box to drop a gear for max acceleration :)

Thank you. I'll give it a go. Woohoo... Dropping gears is always good :),
Love the sound of it....
Olivier

You can also push the gear lever to the left and keep it pushed, instead of just going down a gear it will drop to the most appropriate gear to acccelerate in.

You can also push the gear lever to the left and keep it pushed, instead of just going down a gear it will drop to the most appropriate gear to acccelerate in.

Not on the OP's '97 TD300....

Does not compute :confused:
The gear lever is already stuck on the left?
Cheers :)

Just did it. It's OK, it does drop a gear and rev quite high.
Need to push it hard on the floor though.
Thank you all
Olivier

Can some one explain the way its done in more detail - I am afraid I could damage my auto gearbox by doing it wrong?

You just need to floor the pedal. Try with the engine off, push the pedal all the way down, then press it harder and you'll feel a click, this is the switch.
That's all :D

You wont break your gearbox! This switch is in almost all automatic Mercedes and is designed to be used. If it would break your box it would not be there for you to be clicking everytime you felt the need.

When you need maximum acceleration just floor the pedal to the switch and click it, not much to it really

do not press if you have a V8 or AMG model in the wet otherwise it becomes known as the button of death

Hahahahahahhahhahahah !!

True ....

Will drop more than one depending on your speed/revs.

Is that correct? I understood it will only drop one cog which is why the triptronic box was bought in. By pushing and holding the gear selector to the left the box drops to the gear giving the best acceleration..

Mine will go a couple of gears easily when kicking down from cruising.
That's the fundamental difference between pressing the pedal to the floor and kicking down.

Does anyone thought of putting it on a puch button near the gearstick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom