What does Mercedes mean by "Left-side traffic" and "Right-side traffic"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pmw103

Car
S212 - E220 Bluetech coming soon
Hi All,
I would be the first to admit that I struggle with maps, GPS is my friend, and I always stop and ask for directions if lost! but I do know left from right and in the UK at least consistently have no trouble keeping to the correct side of the road.

Canada that was a whole different story but I got there in the end and the roads are massive and quiet so my one lapse was quickly corrected, but I had to think really hard to start with! Got used to it in the end though. The 4 way stop sign was also fun! Never seen that before.

So

In the UK steering wheel is on the right, and we on the whole keep left, unless passing with the steering wheel in the middle of the road. Otherwise known as Right had drive.

In Europe, the steering wheel is on the left, and on the whole you keep right, unless passing with the steering wheel in the middle of the road. Otherwise known as Left had drive.

I was reading the manual on the LED intelligent light system, in preparation for my first Mercedes arriving in August.

The turn of phrase confuses me and I am probably over thinking this too much.

Its written for multiple market and refers to left sided traffic and right sided traffic.

So

Does left sided traffic, mean the steering wheel is on the left (i.e Europe) or does it mean you keep left? (i.e UK)?

Does right sided traffic, mean the steering wheel is on the left (i.e Europe) or does it mean you keep left? (i.e UK)?

Sorry if this is a really dumb question, I just can’t make up my mind!

The message apparently says

Intell. Light System: System inoperative Inactive for left-side traffic

or

Intell. Light System: System inoperative Inactive for right-side traffic

and the setting is described as

Right-side traffic

or

Left-side traffic .

One time I will read it and conclude,

Interpretation 1

Left-side traffic = left hand drive (European)
Right-side traffic = right had drive (UK)

But then I think do they mean

Interpretation 2

Left-side traffic = driving and keeping left (UK)
Right-side traffic = driving and keeping right. (European)

I assume Interpretation 1, is correct but I am really not sure and wondered what you thought.

Side makes sense, but the use of the word traffic is ambiguous to my mind and makes me wonder in that context what do they mean by side?

From reading the manual I see the car has its default set, but I am just curious to understand what they mean.

Thanks
p

We drive on the left...ergo left side traffic means us...I think.

This exactly. Just checked on mine to confirm.

Therefore your explanation 2. The car will/should come set correctly anyway...

This exactly. Just checked on mine to confirm.

Therefore your explanation 2. The car will/should come set correctly anyway...

Hello, thank you very much for taking the time to check, that makes sense now, one mystery solved! Thanks for all your help and have a good day.

We drive on the left...ergo left side traffic means us...I think.

Hi, of course when you say it like that it makes perfect sense, thank you! hope you have a great day! p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom