What does self blipping on the downshift mean?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

1sttimer

Car
C63 Estate
Saw the phrase in the title of this thread in an AutoCar article about the C63. What does it mean?

Imagine you were driving a manual transmission car. As you downshift, you disengage the clutch and blip the throttle to get the engine spinning faster before you re-engage the clutch. The AMG cars do this automatically.

Imagine you were driving a manual transmission car. As you downshift, you disengage the clutch and blip the throttle to get the engine spinning faster before you re-engage the clutch. The AMG cars do this automatically.

And it's great :thumb:.

It's just another gizmo designed by "Ze Germanz" to fool us poor, simple folk into believing that all AMG drivers are "Ze T*tz", when in reality they can't drive for sh*t!!!
I'm only joking lads, you know I love ya...

years and years ago it used to be called "double de clutching" until synchromesh came into being

And it sounds the Hounds gonads when pressing on!

When pushing on it is needed. It is heel and toe for autos.
It make for a much smoother down change and keeps the car's chassis much more stable when under hard braking or cornering.

If you're braking hard while in Sport and Manual mode it blips for you, sounds great while late braking on the roundabouts. Comfort mode is quite a bit more subtle.

"Double clutch" was the standard method for downshifts before syncromesh gears were invented, and some lorry drivers use it to this day.

I developed the habbit when driving light lorries many years ago and still do this on manual cars without giving it much thought, even though it is not stricly necesary when driving normally a modern car.

When I used to race heel and toe was used to help the downshift easier at high revs under braking into a corner or chicane, you would brake with the toes and blip the throttle with the heel as you downshifted to assist the gearbox clutch assembly rpm's to match the engine rpm keeping a smoother transition between shifts and engine braking.
worked for me :)

Also
I used to drive a truck with a "Chinese crash box" which was double de-clutched slightly different technique due to the syncros.

Good luck to the AMG'rs

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom