What drving style does "miles per tank" reflect?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JethroUK

Car
C220
Just got C220 Elegance and luvving it
Found the trip computer by accident and raised 2 questions

Why does it only display up to 40 mpg?

It show how many miles left in the tank which is obviously based upon your driving style but what is not clear is how much/distance/time of your current driving style is this based on?
Its not based upon immediate driving style that's obvious so it must be averaged/aggregated over a period of time/miles

Last 10 miles? Current trip? Since start of trip?

I find the range on mine to be pretty instantaneous given the quantity of fuel left in the tank.
The other day it went from 37 miles to 80+ miles in the space of a mile or two.

Soon got that back down, though...:devil:

…..Its not based upon immediate driving style that's obvious so it must be averaged/aggregated over a period of time/miles

Last 10 miles? Current trip? Since start of trip?

AFAIK Based on your MPG "Since Reset".

These numbers mean nothing to me. The range I get is totally dependent on the wife's bladder capacity. I once got about 90 miles after a medium Starbucks.

I am not sure why manufacturers bother with range ie 'miles left' figure, it is an estimate based on an estimate.

The calculated mpg showing on the car's computer is not very accurate to begin with, and the assumption that the fuel consumption will remain unchanged over the next 300 miles will only be correct when driving on an empty motorway in the Netherlands using cruise control, while not switching on or switching off any electrical systems.

So it's a nice to have feature, but still a gimmick at best.

markjay said:
So it's a nice to have feature, but a gimmick at best.

Yes, but trying to get it to go higher is a good alternative to the 'beat the Satnav ETA' game though.

And combining the two, ie getting there faster on less fuel, is REALLY exciting...........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom