What engine oil do you use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twistedmind

Car
Mercedes C350e
I know there are lots of threads on types of engine oil, but i would like to know what type of brands you like to stick too.

I have used Castrol edge in the past. But didn't like it. (More engine noise)

What brand do you use ???????

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

We use shell helix ultra 5w40 229.5 in the garage
It's very good stuff :thumb:

I've used Castrol quite a lot, and always been quite happy with it.
Used Mobil in one car, never again. Engine was finished!
Motul and Agip in some others.

I generally use what the manufacturer recommended if its an expensive engine to rebuild.

The normal stuff gets whatever my mate has in his garage at the time!

I use gm dexos 2 with no probs, it meets the merc spec, i do my own oil and filter changes but my indy inspects it every year 6 months b4 mot

Last edited:
Decent (SL/CF or better) fully-synthetic 0w40 or 5w40, in a 110K '98 E55. If it were a (much) more modern, highly-stressed engine, I might use a 5w30. I suspect that "meets the Merc spec" simply means that the oil manufacturer has said that it does, and paid for the privilege of putting the claim on the bottle. And James, are you suggesting that the Mobil oil you used was the reason why the engine was finished? I rather suspect not.....

E55BOF

Last edited:
Decent (SL/CF or better) fully-synthetic 0w40 or 5w40, in a 110K '98 E55. If it were a (much) more modern, highly-stressed engine, I might use a 5w30. I suspect that "meets the Merc spec" simply means that the oil manufacturer has said that it does, and paid for the privilege of putting the claim on the bottle. And James, are you suggesting that the Mobil oil you used was the reason why the engine was finished? I rather suspect not.....

E55BOF

Probably not, I certainly have no proof.
I had an M straight six in E24, E28 and E34 Bm's
The only one that went bang had always been run on mobil, the others were on tws motorsport and where never a problem. It certainly put me off Mobil.

Been using the various Shell oils since the 70's never had any engine problems! Don't see a need to change, mind you the new Golf is on Castrol Edge I think, but will go to the Shell low ash oil when she goes independant.

If you mean FUCHS Titan then they were often OEM factory fill for Mercedes Benz. Don't know if that has changed with the PETRONAS sponsorship thing but a good quality manufacturer.

I know there are lots of threads on types of engine oil, but i would like to know what type of brands you like to stick too.

I have used Castrol edge in the past. But didn't like it. (More engine noise)

What brand do you use ???????

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Any tribologist's here ??

First MB dealer - Castrol 5w-30 / 229.5

Second MB dealer - Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 / 229.5

Olly PCS - Mobil Super 5w-30 / 229.51

All worked just fine....

mobil 1 0w40 everytime......... 230k miles so far and still runs like new.

Mobil 1 0W-40 for the AMG :D

Shell helix HX7 semi synth 10w 40 which can be had from ECP for £13,99 for 5l using MBClub30

Present favourite oil products are from Fuchs as they are a global player of long standing, but independent of the big oil companies. That said, I have been entirely happy with Castrol, Mobil and Shell lubricants in the past.

Regards, lim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom