What filler for bumper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Druk

Gone but not forgotten - RIP
Car
2011 S212 E350CDi. 1981 R107 300TurboDiesel.
As the title. Got facelift Sport rear bumper to upgrade the 211 but it came with some superficial damage, deep scratches etc. Rub down with wet-n-dry and surface fill with what?

Ta.

I sorted some deep scuffs on my C bumpers when i bought it early last year & used what i always have, Davids P38. Iv stuck with it for 30 years, it doesnt crack or shrink like some do.

when i facelifted my CLK i too had some damage on the 2nd hand sideskirts i got.... i just fixed it with some plastic bumper filler stuff from Hellfrauds. It was fine and never cracked afterwards. I reinforced more behind the crack where it coudlnt be seen (ie a big lump of the filler stuff) to make sure it was nice and thick.

A filler called Plastic Padding, good stuff for bumpers.

sTeVe

Don't use P38 for bumpers use a dedicated plastic or bumper filler it has higher adhesion and flex qualities there are many to choose from.

I have used the HALFORDS stuff Davids Isopon High adhesive bumper filler with good results. David's Bumper Filler 100ml from Halfords Price £6.49 As with all body repairs its down to surface preparation and priming. If the bumper is cracked then re-enforcing it from behind with some fiberglass is a good idea as ha s been suggested. How to Repair a Plastic Bumper?

and here's how the pros do it they seem to use a product called 3M Automix 5895 but I don't think is readily available in the U.K.?? How To Repair Your Plastic Bumper Filler Used Photo

Fibreglass will not stick on its own to a plastic bumper, you can though use the fibreglass matting and embed it in the filler, build up in layers, gives quite a bit of strength.
Stainless steel mesh is quite effective if you can find it for making shapes,
Form on suitably shaped wooden dolly or plug.

goldestate,the OP is only talking about superficial scratches/scuffs, not large holes.

on mine the sractches were not that deep so i used stopper then filler primmer (if thats what it's called)

Out of curiosity, will a P38 type product "hold" in small scratches?

Way back in the day, I had trouble making the stuff stick to small areas...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll give the P38 a try while the bumper is still off and see if I can flex it out as an experiment.

Please do, although i did mine last april & there's no sign of a fault.
Baron,good idea i use on shallow scratches is to file the scratch out a bit with a 3 cornered file, but not much, probably 1mm.

You can add a flexing agent to P38 but you are still left with adhesion problems.
Bumper filler is available at Halfords and is much more likely to be succesfull in the long term.

So what's best..P38 or Halfords bumper filler?

There's only one way to find out..........................:bannana:

Price difference between a filler specifically designed to repair bumpers and standard P38 = not a lot. Time and effort + materials to achieve a decent finish and paint [ metallic + clearcoat] to reasonable standard considerably more. Pretty obvious to me.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom