What fuel additive for CDi engines?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jukie

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MY11 E350 CDi Avantgarde
Hi all,

What brand do people use? Miller's? Wynn's? Comma? Wurth?

Dieselman, I know from a previous thread you use Millers. Do you buy on-line? If so, from whom?

TIA, David.

I buy the Milers from one of their depots, in 5 litre cans.

Their website shows you where their stockists are. ALternatively ring them up, they're really helpful.

I use Comma Diesel Magic, I think it works, difficult to tell, I also use BP Ultimate diesel most of the time.

I used a good dose of the Comma stuff in a Pug 106 diesel that was puffing out a fair bit of smog. I changed the fuel filter and filled the new one up with diesel magic to give it a concentrated dose.

power +

i have a 300 td and have no smoke under any throttle position, and i use millers diesel power + and sure ive gained improvments in throttle responce seams i don;t to place the peddle down as much the car just lifts off and its gone quieter as well :bannana:

I had a good conversation with a major truck operator at Truckfest, they are using 10% vegetable oil in their HGV's, and higher in their vans and cars. The MD has a S320CDi and is running it on 65% along with the Sprinter vans!!

They saved over £110K on fuel bills last year and even more due to less servicing, they even get road tax rebates because the trucks go through the plating test (MOT) with less emmissions.

Using 10% vegetable oil is claimed to add lubricity back to the fuel, cleans the fuel system and improves mpg, performance and makes them run quieter, it is also much cheaper than additives.

Hmmm, makes you think when you run 4 private diesel vehicles!

All French diesel is now 10% biodiesel.

I've tried my car on upto 100% veggie oil, but it is a pain filling up at home

If you have an oil storage tank the 50% blend would be a nice measure.

Veg oil will certainly lubricate better then any mineral oil.

So how does one use veggie oil? Majority-fill your tank at a garage then pop down to Sainsbo's. buy some veggie oil and top your tank up in the car park??? :confused:

Last edited:
Have a shop around for the cheapest, cash and carry's sell it in large 25L drums but are not always the cheapest, sometimes the supermarkets sell it in 1L bottles cheaper, but you end up with loads of bottles. I reckon you need to be buying it less than 50p/L to be worthwhile as a fuel, but as an additive it does not matter too much on the price.

You can add the veg oil either before or after filling up, it will mix up when being sloshed around in the tank.

I have a empty 600 gallon tank at home and am seriously thinking of getting a load in and mixing it with regular diesel. The only thing holding me back is having to fork out for all that fuel in one go rather than a little each week.

I have had some quotes for bulk delivery of veg oil, the cheapest being 49ppl.

Be careful if using it regularly. You still need to pay the road fuel tax to C&E and this makes it more expensive than forecourt diesel.

Yes it is detectable due to the smell.

To run a higher concentration, or even neat, the viscosity can be lowered by adding a small pecentage of white spirit. About 0.3%.

Dieselman said:
Be careful if using it regularly. You still need to pay the road fuel tax to C&E and this makes it more expensive than forecourt diesel.

Yes it is detectable due to the smell.

To run a higher concentration, or even neat, the viscosity can be lowered by adding a small pecentage of white spirit. About 0.3%.

I almost got into an argument last week with a company who sell recycled veg oil as a diesel alternative, can't remember the exact name, they were from Norfolk way. They were so convinced that you do not have to pay the tax that after a while they made me think I was in the wrong and you can use it without declaring it, but you are right you are supposed to declare that you are using it.

Using a 10% mix, the smell is not noticable, smells different to normal diesel but not like a chip shop on a Fryday night.

Incidentally Lidl are selling 1ltr bottles for 45ppl, this can be negotiated down to 38ppl if you were to purchase 10 boxes of 15 bottles. (I would imagine :crazy: )

has anyone noticed the almost bleach smell off their diesel cars when you stop them and get out?

what about used oil....

heard somewhere about someone using a bog roll as a cheap filter (with core removed) to strain out the chips...

Just noticed that Tesco are selling 'Global Diesel' contains 5% Biodiesel, price was 81.9ppl compared to standard city diesel at 80.9ppl, all other local garages including BP, Shell, Texaco are all around 85ppl for normal diesel.

I will be sticking with my own 'home brew' of bio-diesel! Just returned fom a weeks holiday and clocked up over 1200 miles using a 10% mix, averaged 38mpg which is better than my normal 35mpg but that is probably down to the more relaxed holiday mode of driving.

guydewdney said:
what about used oil....

heard somewhere about someone using a bog roll as a cheap filter (with core removed) to strain out the chips...

Used is actually better.

Loo roll is a very fine filter but not for first stage as it would clog. Firstly use a sieve, then a coffee filter or filter bag then loo roll or a fuel filter.
If you filter below about 5 microns the used oil will actually be clear and very thin.

Question from Thicko

Guys - sorry to be so non-technical, but what is diesel additive? I have a S211 E320 CDI, which I run on BP Ultimate diesel having spent hours reading the various threads on here. Am I missing out by not using an additive? What do they do? What is the MB/Mobilo view of them?

Any advice appreciated,

Cheers

Matt. :confused:

Additives are designed to stop the injectors coking and wearing. In addition they usually have lubricity additives and often cetane improvers. The higher the cetane rating the smoother and more powerful your engine will be.

Ps. No question is a bad question, you will not be alone in thinking of it.

umm if the fuel strike occurs we should be ok did you all know that diesels were designed to run on veg diesel by rudolf diesel the inventor its nothing new why not high tax break for environmental fuel???????

Are you saying to put veggie oil of 10% mix into the diesel fuel tank straight off the sainsbury shelf.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom