What gearbox mode should be the "default"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JerryC200Cdi

Hi all

W203 C200Cdi auto

This is the first ever automatic I have driven and I must say just getting used to it a bit more after a week or so.

When I picked up the car the auto mode was set to "C" and obviously there is an "S" (Sport) mode as well. I know that as the driver I am free to select anything I want, but is it best for acceleration, fuel economy and overall ease of driving to default to either the "S" mode or "C" mode? I may be mistaken but is "C" mode the same as "W" or winter setting that some cars have?

What do you guys suggest?

(S) Standard mode for all normal driving conditions. The car will pull away in first gear.
(C) Comfort mode, or the old W mode. The car will pull away in second gear and the gear changes will take longer.

S(Standard) C(Complacent) and M(7th to 2nd, ohh thats fun). This is partly untrue:)

So really then I should be in "S" standard mode most of the time and switch to "C" in winter conditions (ice, snow).:thumb:

I have played around with the manual shifts, but it sort of defeats the object of having an auto, although it's nice to give the old clutch leg a rest.

So really then I should be in "S" standard mode most of the time and switch to "C" in winter conditions (ice, snow).:thumb:

I have played around with the manual shifts, but it sort of defeats the object of having an auto, although it's nice to give the old clutch leg a rest.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as you're happy.

I usually keep my car in C for normal driving on suburban roads and motorways. It's smoother - particularly in slow congested conditions.

I only stick it into S when I want to expedite things a bit - usually on the open road or when I know I'll be dealing with other traffic.

if it is of any help, the latest handbook suggest that the new C classes default to "C" everytime you turn the car off.

I deliberately tried both modes whilst in the usual Motorway jam/slow traffic this morning. At 25-40 mph I did find that it was smoother I less gear changing going on in "C" than in "S".

S around town for stop start, C everywhere else. The car is too eagre to change down in S in open road conditions so leave it in C

W or S

From reading this I see that my 2000 year car has S and W which is the same as S and C now?

I too prefer the smoothness of W mode but always leave in S as I don't want to damage (?) the g/box by forcing it to set off in 2nd gear ALL the time.

Is this daft???

Thanks.

I was told that too that it does put some strain on the gear box. Mine was glued on W by some black goo (coffee, guiness?) and when I clean it properly, the S/W switch working properly, the car as since a clunk on S, never on W. Dunno for how many years the switch was glued in W???
Some say its OK, some say its bad.
Anymore imput on this? My car is an old one too, might be different with newer models?
As to answer the OP, S all the way for me.

It doesn't make any difference, use whichever you prefer.

Russ

It doesn't make any difference, use whichever you prefer.

Russ
You say that, but how do you know? If it were a manual car then setting off in 2nd would stress the clutch more... is there some other damage possible for the auto?

Why would merc make a car 5 gears when only 4 are really necessary? (except pulling a heavy load or setting off up hill I guess)

Maybe I've not bothered to play around enough but I can't tell the difference between S or W in my c270cdi, they both seem the same so I've just left it in S pretty much. I'm sure the manualy just says to use W in winter conditions (i.e. start off in 2nd)

Maybe yours is stuck like mine was?

You say that, but how do you know? If it were a manual car then setting off in 2nd would stress the clutch more... is there some other damage possible for the auto?

Why would merc make a car 5 gears when only 4 are really necessary? (except pulling a heavy load or setting off up hill I guess)

Would Mercedes make a setting on the gearbox that caused damage?
Would it not have a big sticker on it saying use only in an emergency?
There is no clutch to damage, so use whatever feels best for you, you will not damage anything. :)

Russ

You can happily drive the car in either S or C mode according to your mood.

FWIW, on my W204 C220 CDI I find that the most obvious difference between the modes is that the 'box tends to downshift more readily when in S mode. I'm fully aware that upshift points are lower in C mode too, but it's the difference in willingness to downshift that's most noticeable. After much experimentation, on this car the 'box pulls away in 1st gear regardless of setting, but the engine management system seems to vary the throttle response so that it's "more leisurely" getting off the line in C mode. Whichever mode I select seems to have little or no effect on fuel consumption. However...

On my wife's SLK350 there is a marked difference between C and S modes. In C mode the 'box pulls away in 2nd gear, the upshift points (even when using quite large amounts of throttle) are much lower and the 'box is almost reluctant to downshift even when you prod the loud pedal quite hard. This all turns the car into a very relaxed cruiser which can be quite pleasant if you just want to tootle round, but is a major impediment to more rapid progress. Unlike my W204, the SLK is noticeably more economical in C mode.

Well this morning I decided to experiment a bit with fuel consumption. I drove the 38 miles to work of which is the M1 in congestion, A1 nice 70-75MPH with cruise control to wetherby, then cross town and country roads to Harrogate in "S" mode and got 38.7 Miles per gallon of fuel according to the trip computer.

The return journey in "C" mode I got 40.6 MPG

As other posters have noted that the downshift is more noticeable in traffic in "S" mode but the "C" mode was more leisurely and I seem to have got a marginal improvement in fuel consumption.

S for scream if you want to go faster ,revs harder ,s pulls away in first.w pulls away generally second for less spin in the snow etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom