What gift for a second time around marriage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igurisu

Car
911 Turbo
A close friend of mine is getting married for the second time, he and his partner have lived together for several years and have a fully furnished house.

I'm trying to decide what to buy as a gift, my thoughts so far are a hotel break, theatre tickets or break, nice meal at a restaurant.

Just wondering if there are any more leftfield ideas from the collective? I don't want to give money or vouchers. At the moment alcohol is out due to a medical condition as are any adventure type activities.

A close friend of mine is getting married for the second time, he and his partner have lived together for several years and have a fully furnished house.

I'm trying to decide what to buy as a gift, my thoughts so far are a hotel break, theatre tickets or break, nice meal at a restaurant.

Just wondering if there are any more leftfield ideas from the collective? I don't want to give money or vouchers. At the moment alcohol is out due to a medical condition as are any adventure type activities.

Avoid anything referring to third time lucky Pete.

Last edited:
Nothing. My inveterate meanness* speaking but if they have everything sensible why not just your good wishes?

(*as a lifelong bachelor I have forked out for numerous presents for weddings, christenings, birthday presents for godchildren etc etc etc. I draw the line at giving those on their second marriage anything - that is unless they returned my gift on the divorce!)

A charitable donation (you don't have to say how much) You will know them well enough to know what would float their boat in that direction.

Nothing. My inveterate meanness* speaking but if they have everything sensible why not just your good wishes?

Never mind meanness. Etiquette would once have dictated precisely this approach, in an age when wedding presents were strictly for those starting out in life, rather than those whose lives are already well established. Nowadays, of course, the occasion tends to take precedence over the circumstances in determining whether a gift should be forthcoming, and it is a brave guest that turns up empty-handed, risking a Batemanesque reaction from the assembled throng.

So, be original, be individual but exercise restraint. Use your personal knowledge of the couple to give them something that you know they will truly appreciate, without seeking to overwhelm them with your largesse.

A charitable donation (you don't have to say how much) You will know them well enough to know what would float their boat in that direction.

Perfect idea John, many thanks. My friend is currently recovering from a stroke so a donation to stroke research would be ideal, many thanks.

Charles, Mocas, thanks also for your input. I am aware that formally there would be no gift and its not as though they would expect sometihng. I have known my friend since we attended primary school together, subsequent other schools and worked together for the first 10 years of our working lives.

I just wanted to mark the occasion, the charitable donation is spot on.

I got remarried a few weeks back and like your chum, we already have the perfect number of toasters, irons, tea-sets, glasses, sheets, towels, ornaments, etc., etc.

Mostly we got vouchers for John Lewis, M&S and garden centres but a few folk gave us vouchers for an afternoon tea at a nice hotel / romantic meal for two at a decent restaurant.

Others just put some Lottery scratch cards in with the card. Good fun. We didn't win anything though!

We did stump up for a jolly good wedding breakfast and a free bar to get the proceedings under way. It was a lovely day with friends and family and our best gift was having so many people who are important to us in the same room.

Palmfrem, the lottery scratch cards sound like fun, you never know what could be inside :)

When I got married for the second time, we wanted to have a bit of a bash. My Son was my best man and my daughters were our bridesmaids.

We had a party for friends family and neighbours in a marquee in our back garden. We stated on the invites that gifts were not expected or required as (like others we are all toastered up).

What did happen was that our friends got together and paid for the party.

1 couple insisted on paying for the band.

Another got one of his photographers to take all the photo's free of charge.

Another hired a film crew catering unit for the evening.

When it cam to paying for the marquee hire. They guy said Oh that's OK you friend called me and paid it on your behalf.

We did pay for the booze.

A great day/night with great friends and a fantastic photo album to look at every now and again.

Forget being "original" as an important thing. What is important is giving a gift that they can look at in 10 or 20 years time and remember you with love and affection.
I would go for something made from cut crystal. How deep your pockets will dictate the size or grandness of the gift. A vase is always a useful and handy item.

A friend of mine got whacked by a Le Creuset gratin dish hurled by his second wife (soon to be second ex..).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom