What great new neighbours to have - one for Charles Morgan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4, 1994 E320 Coupe, 1995 E300 estate
Just found out our new French neighbours family own vineyards. Turns out they are the negociants, Bouchard pere et fils. Charles, for that is the gents name, does not have a tele so we have invited him around tomorrow evening to watch France lose to Spain. I wonder if he will bring something nice to drink:rolleyes:

Bouchard have some great vineyards which they own (as much as being negociants), one of the most lovely Burgundies I have had was a 1961 Bouchard Volnay Caillerets Cuvee Ancienne Carnot. They have pretty substantial production of Grand Cru too - so a nice neighbour to have.

I am sure they have enough money to afford a tv though!

The absence of a tele seems to be down to the fact he has 3 sons under the age of 5. He was telling me they have 1.2 hectares of la tache too.

La Tache is a monopole, owned entirely by Domaine de la Romanee Conti. At 5 hectares in total, the notion that Bouchard could own a fifth without anybody noticing is pretty implausible. Is he having a laugh?

I like the Bouchard Chablis, premier cru is pricey enough for me though. In fact I'm not sure I've even tried a Grand Cru.

My favourite was Laroche Chablis, I used to buy it in Tesco's, then the price when up, then it dissapeared altogether.

Currently working through some cases of Marmesa Vinyards Hollister Peak Chardonnay from California (Tesco direct this time). It's a bargain.

(I can't drink red - I have that intolerance thing to it)

I don't think so. I will get the full SP off him tomorrow. Could be I misheard him I guess. I certainly did not mishear him when he asked whether we wanted any deer for the freezer. He has also given us some lovely terrine de sanglier and terrine de cerf au vin rouge Bourgogne. As Natalie had rush him and one of his sons over to hospital earlier (the child had split his head open as boys are want to do) he was not really in a jokey frame of mind

As Natalie had rush him and one of his sons over to hospital earlier (the child had split his head open as boys are want to do) he was not really in a jokey frame of mind

Reminds me of asking a fishing boat owner that had been sunk overnight, if it was to get the fish to swim straight into the hold without any effort...

The ships-mate laughed...

Bouchard used to produce wine from La Romanee (under a hectare) which is just across the road from La Tache (albeit separated by La Grande Rue), but that was under an arrangement with Ligier-Belair since terminated. I have had it once and have a couple of bottles.

I like the Bouchard Chablis, premier cru is pricey enough for me though. In fact I'm not sure I've even tried a Grand Cru.

My favourite was Laroche Chablis, I used to buy it in Tesco's, then the price when up, then it dissapeared altogether.

Majestic stocks Laroche, they also have Vocoret (decent VV) and Fevre Maladiere (a good effort for a basic Chablis), but I wouldn't buy at their listed prices without discount.

Grand Cru Chablis can be one of the great whites of the world, but needs age and careful selection. A Raveneau Les Clos (alas I forget the vintage) sits in my memory as an absolute great, but that isn't for mere mortals nowadays. Fevre Les Clos is often available very reasonably in sales, there being some suspicion about its ability to age and certain atypicality, but the 06 was rather lovely (if a little tropical) lately.

A region I have come late to, but some magnificent whites in a lipsmacking, acidic yet fleshy style at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom