What happened to watch sizes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 W204 C180K
My every day watch packed in and was so old a battered I decided to buy a new one. Now I'd be the first to admit I'm never up to date with the latest fashion which can make me naive and so it turned out. My criteria was simple I wanted a reasonable quality stainless watch and bracelet that would last. A long time ago I had a nice Seiko with a blue face, so seeing something that looked very much like it I ordered one online. Big mistake, when it arrived it was perfectly nice watch in fact it would have been just what I wanted if it was 25% smaller. What has happened is that watches have gotten huge since I last took any interest in them. This watch was 44 mm excluding the crown and 11 mm thick It looked like something a Rapper would wear.

My old watch was just 35.5 mm. So the monster watch went back and I started searching for something a similar size to my old one which turned out to be near impossible. I finished up with one 37 mm across and 8 mm thick which is a little bigger than my old one but it's fine and also half the weight of the monster.

I know that there are many people here who like nice watches so what's the deal, are monster watches a passing fad or has form defeated function again.

Large watches are on trend however there are many sophisticated and understated watches available. Check out the Cartier Santos mid size 29mm or the Longines Hydroconquest, they do their in several sizes. A vintage Tag Heuer F1 is very nice and prices are just going up :)

It looked like something a Rapper would wear.

dc0a5ad3-f1b1-4f4e-bae2-e6686cdf1b73_flavor-flav-Tom-Briglia-filmmagic-3-30-12.jpg

Reactions: 190
My daughter has just "acquired" my old Tag watch that was purchased in the 80`s , the trend back then was for gents smaller dia watches that would have looked oversized on most females wrists whereas now with larger watches being fashionable she figured that once the strap was resized it would be fine so it was goodbye Mr Tag.

Fortunately it was replaced by an Omega Planet Ocean last week :), which is a big watch at 46mm dia and around 15mm thick so there is no way she will be claiming that one.

K

Large watches are on trend however there are many sophisticated and understated watches available. Check out the Cartier Santos mid size 29mm or the Longines Hydroconquest, they do their in several sizes. A vintage Tag Heuer F1 is very nice and prices are just going up :)

I did see that some models of more expensive watches were available in several different sizes. Real class always was understated. But that's much further up market than I want to go for a watch that I'll wear while changing the oil on the car.

Competing with phones now?
Just a bracelet or bangle if a phone is permanently at hand to read the time from.

I don't spend my life staring into a phone or even carry one all the time so I like to have a watch. I do spend a lot of time staring into this laptop so I could get the time from that :)

[QUOTE="94mattda”]A vintage Tag Heuer F1 is very nice and prices are just going up :)[/QUOTE]
That’s good to know. My wife had one for Christmas when she was a teenager but hasn’t worn for many many years - still services though!

Since she had an Apple Watch she doesn’t wear any of her watches. One comes out for very very special occasions but that’s it.

I love beautifully engineered watches but even I can’t find a good reason to wear one when my Apple Watch is so functional.

That said I would very much like a Bamford Heuer Monza...

My Panerai Carbotech has a 47mm case but me being quite a big lad it looks the right size - it would look daft on someone 5’8” and 10 stone.

My little sister gave me a watch she bought for herself, as it was "a tad on a small side".
It's a Tissot T-Race ... 43mm across (incl crown dome) o_O
28964133998_d71dcc6b47_o.jpg

After wearing nothing but Breguet style watches for decades (originals and homage, like Ingersol IN1800 LE), this has become my daily, if not a favourite watch ...

I did see that some models of more expensive watches were available in several different sizes. Real class always was understated. But that's much further up market than I want to go for a watch that I'll wear while changing the oil on the car.

You are very likely joking - but on the off chance you aren't.... Jewellery should be removed before working on a car. Someone I know wearing a watch with a metal bracelet bridged a positive battery post and the chassis. The resulting burn to his wrist was significant.

My every day watch packed in and was so old a battered I decided to buy a new one. Now I'd be the first to admit I'm never up to date with the latest fashion which can make me naive and so it turned out. My criteria was simple I wanted a reasonable quality stainless watch and bracelet that would last. A long time ago I had a nice Seiko with a blue face, so seeing something that looked very much like it I ordered one online. Big mistake, when it arrived it was perfectly nice watch in fact it would have been just what I wanted if it was 25% smaller. What has happened is that watches have gotten huge since I last took any interest in them. This watch was 44 mm excluding the crown and 11 mm thick It looked like something a Rapper would wear.

My old watch was just 35.5 mm. So the monster watch went back and I started searching for something a similar size to my old one which turned out to be near impossible. I finished up with one 37 mm across and 8 mm thick which is a little bigger than my old one but it's fine and also half the weight of the monster.

I know that there are many people here who like nice watches so what's the deal, are monster watches a passing fad or has form defeated function again.

What you know as a watch was a subtle timepiece so that you could conveniently tell the time. The expensive monster watches are for people who want to say "hey look at me"! All about wanting to show off wealth.

Sports watches have become quite chunky - e..g Casio G-Shock but I expect that there is a fucntional reaon - e.g. use with gloves on, see with goggles on etc I do like sports watches. It is amazing what technology is packed into watches tehse days. I was tempted to buy one of the new Casio's but they are seriously chunky (and I don't need a watch:wallbash:).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 219
This is something you notice on TV programmes, often the 'talent' will be undertaking some sort of manual labour - digging a garden or faffing around under a car - wearing a watch , and often not a cheap one either.

Odd behaviour. While I am at it another form of odd behavior is wearing a wrist watch on your right wrist (my eldest son does it) It drives me nuts. No reason , it just looks so wrong ...

Reactions: 219

I don't spend my life staring into a phone or even carry one all the time so I like to have a watch. I do spend a lot of time staring into this laptop so I could get the time from that :)

Since I retired, I've stopped wearing watches. Time does not really matter to me. It took about 2 years to stop getting up at 5 in the morning. Now I get up when I want to.:p

This is something you notice on TV programmes, often the 'talent' will be undertaking some sort of manual labour - digging a garden or faffing around under a car - wearing a watch , and often not a cheap one either.

Odd behaviour. While I am at it another form of odd behavior is wearing a wrist watch on your right wrist (my eldest son does it) It drives me nuts. No reason , it just looks so wrong ...

Loads of them seem to be sporting a Rolex. I got my first Rolex in about 1985 and nobody knew about them. Now they have become quite common:oops:.

Right wrist - left handers?

Loads of them seem to be sporting a Rolex. I got my first Rolex in about 1985 and nobody knew about them. Now they have become quite common:oops:.

Right wrist - left handers?
Not in my sons case, and very few watches have a 'winder' on the left hand side of the face. There was (is) an advert on TV for a watchfinding company where the model repeatedly swipes a screen searching for yet another watch...he is using his right hand which is 'normal' but for obvious advertising purposes he has a watch on his right wrist. It drives me nuts ....which says more about me than than the bloke with a watch ON THE WRONG WRIST :mad:.

I am going for a lie down now.

You are very likely joking - but on the off chance you aren't.... Jewellery should be removed before working on a car. Someone I know wearing a watch with a metal bracelet bridged a positive battery post and the chassis. The resulting burn to his wrist was significant.

It was just a car related example, I am aware of the risks. I don't wear a ring because of the risk of losing a finger if it gets caught in something. My brother broke his wrist when he fell out of a tree and the watch got caught. I was just trying to make the point that it's an everyday watch that won't be molly coddled.

Odd behaviour. While I am at it another form of odd behaviour is wearing a wrist watch on your right wrist (my eldest son does it) It drives me nuts. No reason , it just looks so wrong ...
I have worn a watch since I was about fourteen years old, I am right handed and wear my watch on my right wrist for the simple reason I can not fasten a strap on my left wrist with my right hand, strange but true:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom