What happens in the States usually happens here eventually

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My heart goes out to them.

A US gallon is 3.7854 litres which makes regular very close to $1.00 per litre, still half the price UK motorists are paying.

My heart goes out to them.

A US gallon is 3.7854 litres which makes regular very close to $1.00 per litre, still half the price UK motorists are paying.

That's true but (sweeping generalisation) they drive twice as far as we do in vehicles that do half the MPG, so it's effectively more like twice the cost it is here.

It is *really* hurting the average American.

Iraq has one of the world's largest oil reserves. Now that it's owned by the US they just need to step up production.

:devil:

Iraq has one of the world's largest oil reserves. Now that it's owned by the US they just need to step up production.
:devil:

Iraq was a victory for democracy.
(Now where's our goddamn oil?)

Maybe they should start realising you don't need a truck cab the size of an aeroplane, just as they don't all need to be driving massive pick ups with thumping great V8's.....my heart bleeds...it really does!

Well, they'll all be in recession in six months and won't need their trucks to drive to work cos there won't be any.:devil:

Then, maybe the price of petrol will come down for all the rest of us.:bannana:

I used to be an economist but it was a long time ago, in another place....

So the driver that picked us up from San Francisco airport mentioned that he wasn't using his Hummer as much - fair enough, this is what he collected us in, all 6.5 litres........

escfz7.jpg

A different mind set - read a car review in the local rag, limited edition Mustang, 4.6 V8, leather, etc. The downside according to the reviewer was it was a "bit pricey" at approx £17k

Mike

So the driver that picked us up from San Francisco airport mentioned that he wasn't using his Hummer as much - fair enough, this is what he collected us in, all 6.5 litres........
I like that :cool: (in that environment). They do have plenty of smaller cars and buyers are trading down to those. Is that a couple of Volvo's across the bonnet of the Escalade?
A different mind set - read a car review in the local rag, limited edition Mustang, 4.6 V8, leather, etc. The downside according to the reviewer was it was a "bit pricey" at approx £17k
Look at the price of Merc's in the US. *Entry* level C Class is C300 (none of your 4cyl rubbish :) ) - about the same price as that Mustang. A GL is well under £30K.

Last edited:
Useful info on the market and taxation forces at work in the US

http://www.eia.doe.gov/bookshelf/brochures/diesel/index.html

"The State of California assesses a combined State and local sales and use tax of 7.25% on top of the 24.4 cents/gallon Federal excise tax and an 18.0 cents/gallon State tax." Gasp.

Remind me: how much taxes do we pay on diesel?

As you may be aware the Americans reportedly have a rather limited knowledge of matters worldwide - Not everything passes them by though, mentioned to me a couple of times is the fact the UK is under the thumb with taxes and speed cameras, nice to know some information gets across the pond, oh and binge drinking!

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom