What happens in Vegas ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

... mostly stays there. Just returned from twelve days in and around the city of excess. After four nights at the Bellagio (the hotel right in the centre of the Strip with the magnificent fountain show) we moved 20 minutes West to a quieter resort. Our plan was to drive to a selection of national parks including the Grand Canyon after overdosing on all that Las Vegas had to offer night and day. But US politics had other ideas and all the national parks were closed while we were there :(

Our four nights at the Bellagio were certainly entertaining as well as exhausting. I've never before seen so much plastic flashed around: not just the buildings, nor my credit card as Mrs KE explored the many shops during the day. The warm evenings brought out tons of plastic proudly displayed on female frontages! :D They totally distracted my attention from the roulette, crap tables and one-arm bandits so I didn't lose too much money (not that there was much left after all the shopping)!

For our week of "not getting around as much as intended because of the bloody US political system" we rented a minor muscle car - a Chevy Camaro convertible. What a disappointment! :(
1376651_10201194035666521_2143435110_n.jpg

Although we had the one with the smallest engine in the range (320hp 3.6L V6 direct injection) it really should have performed better. The stats indicate that it's similar performance to my C350, but there's really no comparison. The engine was smooth enough and didn't sound too bad with the top down, but it just lumbered up to speed with absolutely no excitement. And when it came to changing direction (yes, there are SOME bends in Nevada and Arizona) it had as much feel to it as a soggy sponge. It gave me no confidence to throw it around as it should have done. And it certainly made me appreciate all the goodies in my MB - constantly fiddling with the air con temperature and fan speed for optimum comfort was the nearest that this car came to being a drag machine! It was good, but should have been so much better on roads like this:
1374923_10201194129428865_1663863894_n.jpg

Stopped at the Bellagio for a week a couple of years ago. Had a roop dead central on the 27th floor IIRC - perfect for watching the fountains. Mrs Ted stopped in Tiffany's in Via Bellagio and relieved our bank account (well credit card) of $1.000. It was quite fun to see the attention she got from the assistants in all the other 'upmarket' shops as she went in with two Tiffany bags in her hand!!

Also did the grand canyon the year before.
Met Sid there. You can just see him if you look closely :)

View attachment 39573

Last edited:
Im off out there next Wednesday for 6 days on a stag do... Very excited. Love the place very much and will be going again in May with the wife as thats where we got married 2 years ago at the little chapel of the west.:D

Plenty of plastic on show is always a great thing to me! :D Has been a couple of years since I've been out to Vegas, stopped at the Venetian then heading back for a week over New Year at the MGM Grand. Renting a Corvette convertible for a few days to go explore a bit more hoping it isn't as much of a sponge as I think it will be but very much looking forward to getting out there nonetheless!

Im off out there next Wednesday for 6 days on a stag do... Very excited. Love the place very much and will be going again in May with the wife as thats where we got married 2 years ago at the little chapel of the west.:D

Stag do - 6 days in Vegas!

Blimey.

Mine was a few beers on a Friday night with my chums, a curry, disco and taxi home.

Why is the speed limit on that bit of road in the OP 15mph?
It's just for the severe dip that the sign is warning about. Hitting the dip at around 30 in the Camaro wasn't any problem though - there's so little feedback from the wheels through the steering that it was no more than a tad bouncy!

Although we had the one with the smallest engine in the range (320hp 3.6L V6 direct injection) it really should have performed better.
I was in the USA working at a sister company for a couple of weeks in 2011 and had a Cadillac CTS as a rental car with a similar engine. The performance was, frankly, pathetic bearing in mind the quoted power output which lead me to make the observation that American horses must be quite small - which got a good laugh from my American colleagues in the office :D

I was in the USA working at a sister company for a couple of weeks in 2011 and had a Cadillac CTS as a rental car with a similar engine. The performance was, frankly, pathetic bearing in mind the quoted power output which lead me to make the observation that American horses must be quite small - which got a good laugh from my American colleagues in the office :D

I got a Cadillac Escalade as an upgrade after a booking mess-up and the engine in that, a V8 of, I think, 6.3L was amazing - I only floored the gas pedal once, I didn't dare do it again! It was very sharp too - it took a few days to not snap passengers necks when starting from rest. It was also relatively economical - as soon as it was at cruising speed the dash indicated it had switched to V4 mode.

I found I had to obey the speed warning signs on tightly curved slip-roads though - if it said 25MPH then it really meant it!

Impossible to hold the camera steady for any good pics (and Mrs KE was also in close attendance all the time!). This is the best I can offer of one of the bars at the Fremont Street Experience:

Attachments

• Las Vegas 254.jpg
    Las Vegas 254.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 24
I'm flying out on the 29th this month!!!!!! To sema can't wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom