What has failed??? HELP please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well I’ve just changed the starter battery in my SL as it was 14 years old because my key wouldn’t turn in my ignition, only to find out it wasn’t the battery, and yes, it was the original. It’s funny how some batteries last longer then others.....

Hi all
New alternator fitted, I went for a new Bosch one at £268 + £75 to fit plus vat = £411. I could have got a MB from MB Newcastle for £63 inclusive. I looked into batteries & they can't post them so had to call MB Watford £160 & £70 plus VAT which wasn't a lot more than Newcastle. I haven't bought them yet-all seems well at the moment with no malfunction messages. I am going on a longish run & tomorrow plus it is turning colder on Thursday so will see how things are then. Thanks to everyone for their help & comments-much appreciated as always. Rob

Good to hear you have got sorted Rob and hopefully that's the end of that for you. Always good to update posts with the outcome, may help someone else in the future. :)

Yes well done,as you have found out the battery in the engine bay is a weird size,if you go on the battery shops web sites they only have the big battery in the boot,I would say that I bought my car with a non mercedes battery in the boot and it has not given a ounce of trouble,the one in the engine bay is the original Varta so 10 years old but still starts the car,but I did look at maybe finding one just so I knew where to get one,and of course it seems Mercedes is the only place to buy one,maybe one of our members knows of a way to fit a non Varta battery in my W221.

Hi all
New alternator fitted, I went for a new Bosch one at £268 + £75 to fit plus vat = £411. I could have got a MB from MB Newcastle for £63 inclusive. I looked into batteries & they can't post them so had to call MB Watford £160 & £70 plus VAT which wasn't a lot more than Newcastle. I haven't bought them yet-all seems well at the moment with no malfunction messages. I am going on a longish run & tomorrow plus it is turning colder on Thursday so will see how things are then. Thanks to everyone for their help & comments-much appreciated as always. Rob

Give MB Grangemouth a call. They will deliver a battery and I'm sure cheaper than Watford.
Also, if you are sure of the type you want, take a look at Tayna for batteries. Very competitive pricing.

eg. for a S211... 019 Car Batteries

This is the same auxillary battery (Fiamm) sold by MB for £70+VAT.
Fiamm Equivalent Batteries - Motorcycle Batteries

Hi again Just did a 170 mile round trip today & all is well-ie no sign of the battery protection warning which is good. Can an alternators performance drop or do they either work 100% or not. I occasionally used to get the warning light on even on runs but normally just for a few minutes. Fingers crossed for the MOT tomorrow. Thanks Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom