What have i damaged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markland

Car
2006 c180k Sport
Hi well basically i changed the Thermostat in my 2006 c180k saloon and all went well until i was lowering the car down on my trolley jack using the front centre jack point and suddenly the jack slipped and the car came crashing down.:doh:

The jack slipped backwards and through the plastic undertray, and as far as i can see (without jacking the car up, i dont trust the jack no more) has snapped off a metal bracket with some pipes on it. I have searched the web and looked through haynes manual but can't find what these pipes are.

The coolant isn't leaking and the car drives fine.

first pic is of a c180 and second a diesel (mines petrol) taken from haynes manual

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

These look like either power steering pipes or transfer pipes for the automatic transmission fluid to the heat exchanger coil in the radiator. You need to trace where they run to/ from to determine their function. If they are not leaking then you have been very lucky! Check your power steering reservoir and gearbox fluid levels --- If there are no signs of leaking hydraulic fluid [ small pools under the car] then again no problem. Immobilise/support the pipes if you can using broad nylon lock ties till you can get a new bracket made up/ordered. This is not a permanent solution because eventually the nylon ties will "fret" their way through the flexible pipe causing a leak.

Thanks for the reply grober, i checked the power steering fluid with the engine cold and its fine. The broken bracket does rattle at full lock, i tested this by wrapping it with a cloth to stop it clanging against the jacking point and the noise went.
I'm not too confident to jack and axle stand the car up and inspect properly after what happened.

I'm going to get it checked out by my regular mechanic and get it inspected properly.

Thanks for the help!

Glad to hear you didn't get hurt, it's understandable that you don't want to go under it. Even though i have jacked up many cars, many times, i always like to have someone else around, safely does it :)

I have a set of little ramps here that your more than weelcome to borrow if your close?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom