What have i done? 300c

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunning

MB Enthusiast
Car
800BHP Rothmans 911 / Range Rover / s212
So due to needing an estate and an auto as I'm about to have surgery not allowing me to change gear for 2/3 months, I thought I'd chop the 911 for a newer 4.8 cayenne turbo or a RR 5.0 supercharged. Decided against both and bought a cheap 300c diesel tourer and keeping the 911.

After owning the newer grand cherokee 3.0 diesel and being impressed with it a few years back I'm wondering if this will be any good? Picking it up towards the end of next week some time.

Few plans like dechrome it and put a detachable towbar on it. Maybe SRT wheels instead of the startech. It's quite a good spec and runs the mercedes 3.0 v6 diesel.

Any thoughts on them? I don't really know why I bought a 300c as they are an odd car but it just took my fancy and is a way of saving money.

Last edited:
Just don't put Bentley badges on it like some do. :)

lol ive seen one of those kicking about Bently badges everywhere on it lmfao, why oh why?

Never liked them when they 1st came out but they are really growing on me. be good to see how the op gets on.

Few plans like dechrome it …

How about black wheels? With the outer edge diamond cut? Might need to leave the chrome on…

A very good friend of mine has one and I am always pleasantly surprised with the engine's pull and the car's general comfort. He's had it for at least five years now with no problems or glitches.
I will admit to considering a new one in 2010 but ended up with a new Saab instead……any other car makers or models you don't want to see around any more? I'm the man to finish them.

So due to needing an estate and an auto as I'm about to have surgery not allowing me to change gear for 2/3 months, I thought I'd chop the 911 for a newer 4.8 cayenne turbo or a RR 5.0 supercharged. Decided against both and bought a cheap 300c diesel tourer and keeping the 911.

After owning the newer grand cherokee 3.0 diesel and being impressed with it a few years back I'm wondering if this will be any good? Picking it up towards the end of next week some time.

Few plans like dechrome it and put a detachable towbar on it. Maybe SRT wheels instead of the startech. It's quite a good spec and runs the mercedes 3.0 v6 diesel.

Any thoughts on them? I don't really know why I bought a 300c as they are an odd car but it just took my fancy and is a way of saving money.

I believe you now have to join FBI , CIA , CSI , NCIS or one of the other crime fighting acronyms :)

Good luck with it .

I think they look quite smart , but for the plastic interiors which let them down .

I believe you now have to join FBI , CIA , CSI , NCIS or one of the other crime fighting acronyms :)

Albeit the new model, watching Breaking Bad made me think about one of these cars. But then I also thought I should have studied Chemistry.

They do have a certain appeal, enjoy it.

Thanks for the feedback there guys. I'll be doing so many miles and wanting power it seemed like a good option. Agreed about the plastic interior is shocking but it's something I got used to in the jeep. Bentley badges will not go anywhere near my car! I'd feel like a proper goon! And I wouldn't run black wheels on a black car as it's too gangster for me. Maybe gun metal grey?

I always wanted a 300c. I still think they are one of the best looking cars around.

But...

I went to test drive one years ago, opened the door, bumped myself on the door pillar getting in, sat down, looked around, got out, went and bought a lexus! Awful awful interior... And I'm not that fussy!

Up on a ramp they look just like a merc w211 or W220.

The interior fit and finish isn't up to Merc standards (it's american after all) but mechanically it'll be good if maintained correctly.

They basically a w211 chassis with a v6 diesel mercedes engine , IMHO they are fine the interior a bit American !!:)

Last edited:
There are three or four of them around here, when they first came out they didn't seem to fit in but now they don't seem to stand out as much. Do they use four cilinders when you are around town then all eight when you stick your foot down. Other than that I don't think anything of them Good luck with yours.

Up on a ramp they look just like a merc w211 or W220.

The interior fit and finish isn't up to Merc standards (it's american after all) but mechanically it'll be good if maintained correctly.

They basically a w211 chassis with a v6 diesel mercedes engine , IMHO they are fine the interior a bit American !!:)

I thought they used the defunct W210 floorpan.

I thought too but after read this I'm not sure anymore!

Last edited:
I rented one in Florida for three weeks. It was comfortable enough and huge but I found the A pillars were so large they could completely obscure a Lincoln Navigator at a junction.

I found myself looking around it much like you look around roof support in a football stadium.

I always thought the original 300c was stunning. Not so sure about the current/new incarnation. Yours looks lovely.

Only been in one as a back seat passenger, acres of space and very comfortable.

I would have considered one if they weren't that big .

All in all it is one of very few good American cars in recent years (SUVs and oddball cars aside...).

Enjoy!

Always loved the look of the 300C.
In fact I'm still thinking about buying one as a second car.
Such bargain too!

Never been all that keen on the saloon, but they do seem to be an incredible amount of car for the money, and the estate has a certain thuggish appeal, particularly in black. Does anyone know how they compare on space with a W210 or W211 estate?

Mind you, after the E55K even the V8 Hemi-engined version would seem awfully slow, judging by the only performance figures I've seen. Thinks: if it's a Mercedes power train, I wonder how easy it would be to remap the diesel engine to produce decent performance?

Last edited:
I thought they used the defunct W210 floorpan.

I was lead to believe that for years as that is what all the motoring journos spouted but it's just not true.
Get one on a ramp and they don't resemble a 210 that much.

There is a lot more 211 DNA underneath than you think. The 211 in turn nicks bits and pieces from the 210 and 220 but the whole front end, I.e suspension, subframe, engine, gearbox...they are all lifted straight from a 211.

The rear end suspension is unmistakeably Mercedes but as you know it's been somewhat unchanged since it's introduction in the 201.

The twin rear exhaust boxes and the piping that it required makes the rear end of the floor and suspension look a lot more 211 than 210.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom