What I'm sending to thames Water today!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alfie

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
W169 A, W205 C, R172 SLC, W447 vantastic
Here is a copy of a letter I've just sent to Thames water.

22nd June 2006

Customer Services Manager
Thames Valley Water
PO Box 188,
Bishops Rise,
Hatfield,
Herts
AL10 9AE

Customer reference; 1234567-8

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent bill advising me that you wish to increase my direct debit by just over 30%. I write to advise you that this request is denied for the reasons set out below.

I have struggled hard to think of any monopoly business where the customer collects the freely available product for the supplier and is billed for doing so (rebate available for those without guttering that allows rainfall to enter the sewer). Further, I struggle to find any business where the customer pays for the product and then returns the product to the supplier who charges for this (sewerage charge) where the supplier then cleans it up and sells it back to the customer again.

If the above wasn’t evidence of extortion alone, then the fact that the supplier can manage to lose over 800 million litres of the product every day and still make in excess of 300 million pounds profit per year is such evidence. Given the year on year profits and the obscene waste of so much water per day due to lack of investment, is it any wonder that the public and OFWAT are somewhat fed up with the supplier.

Because your company has failed to invest adequately in significantly reducing leakage and failed to invest in new reservoirs you have had to apply for a drought order. So whilst most of the country basks in having plenty of water, the South East faces water shortages. I am staggered that in the 21st century, we are without adequate water supplies in this area.

My consumption of water has dramatically reduced as I can no longer water my garden or wash my car with a hosepipe. Hence there is no reason whatsoever for my direct debit to be increased. Your request is denied. In fact I feel that as you are no longer providing the service I am paying for having restricted my usage via legislation, the direct debit should be reduced by 30%. Therefore please amend your records to reflect the new amount being the sum of £xx.xx.

Roll on the day that we are free to buy our water from any other company in just the same way as we can our gas and electricity. When it comes, you will lose a lot of customers.

Yours faithfully,

I no doubt i'll get some pathetic response about how they are 'doing all they can'.

Hehe. Unless your account is in credit I doubt they will reduce your DD. The letter will achieve little if anything I expect, but all good fun.

Rose Chap said:
Great letter Alfie!

Please give us all a laugh and post the response when you get it.

I look forward to it.:D

One thing for certain, they will not answer half the questions raised in the letter, if as already said they reply at all.:crazy:

the "sh-t happens " clause.

Nice one Alfie. Its high time someone took on these utilities. You will find there's a "sh-t happens" clause in the small print which probably lets them of the hook. It goes along the lines of :- yes altho we are a "-------- supply" company sometimes we cant supply you with --------, altho this is technically a breach of contract it doesnt apply to us cos we are "special "and we expect you to continue to pay for a commodity you dont receive. On the other hand if something bad happens to you to prevent you paying your bill like you lose your job or your house burns down WE STILL EXPECT YOU TO PAY YOUR BILL because we are greedy miserable ba---rds.

This is why I intend to swap all my DDs where possible for SOs. At least then they will have to write a begging letter for more money as opposed to a "we're charging you more from now on, so there" courtesy note.

I wish you the best of luck with the letter, every other customer should do the same!

Something to bear in mind with SO's. The bill is only 'paid' when the creditor receives the money. With a DD, the bill is paid as soon as they request it.

Many years ago, I paid my mortgage by SO, not DD (all to do with ex-wife and bla bla bla), and when I went to pay it off completely, I found out I had continually been in arrears becasue it was due on, say, 20th, and I wasn't paying it until 23rd, so it was showing as a month late.

As far as the water board are concerned, I'd say let them whistle; but I thought it worth mentioning.

PJ

masqueraid said:
On a separate note, what does your Direct Debit mandate say? If it says "unspecified amounts" then Thames can get away with ignoring your response completely. If your bank is unaware of your wishes they could legitimately authorise the tranfer of funds.
http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombudsman-news/27/27-directdebit-guarantee.htm

In reality they can pretty much do what they want with DDs. I had Kingston Telecoms (in Hull) set up a direct debit on my account for a broadband connection I don't have (I live in Surrey), and successfully take money. I knew nothing about it until I got my next statement.

I did eventually get the money back, but was astonished to be told that it's now quite possible for DDs to be set up now without the account owner knowing anything about it!

Alfie, as stated, change the dd to an so. All my bills are paid standing order, I control how much they get, after all, why should they owe me money:crazy: when they take too much each month

Great letter and hopefully you will get a reply in the same vane? Here in the West Country we have the highest charges in the country, thankfully though there are no restrictions.... Yet

Why isn't water charged at the same price nation wide?

John

Why isn't water charged at the same price nation wide?

The very same should be asked about gas and electricity - then companies would compete on service - fat chance :rolleyes:

Thames Water seem to be seriously in the doo.. With massive fines to pay they obviously are looking to get the money out of you one way or another.

Great Letter BTW

miro said:
I would have shown them my recently signed rain contract with the Heavens.

I have not had a reply yet and frankly I'm not bothered if they dont reply. It will just confirm my thoughts on what they think of their customers.

In the meantime I am investigating two things; 1). Diverting all rainfall from my guttering into water tanks either in the loft or elsewhere thus ensuring I pay less sewerage charge, 2). Investing in a borehole! Apparently I can sink a borehole in my garden but I am restricted on how much water I can take out of it. I am told its enough to feed my entire street! That way, the only thing the water company will get back from me is my sh?t! I can then wash my car with a hose as often as I like, for free!

Alfie said:
I have not had a reply yet and frankly I'm not bothered if they dont reply. It will just confirm my thoughts on what they think of their customers.

In the meantime I am investigating two things; 1). Diverting all rainfall from my guttering into water tanks either in the loft or elsewhere thus ensuring I pay less sewerage charge, 2). Investing in a borehole! Apparently I can sink a borehole in my garden but I am restricted on how much water I can take out of it. I am told its enough to feed my entire street! That way, the only thing the water company will get back from me is my sh?t! I can then wash my car with a hose as often as I like, for free!

I was interested in a borehole too, but never looked into it... Keep us informed, I might copy you ;)
Michele

I was interested in a borehole too, but never looked into it.

dont you need to dig the borehole 'before' you can look into it :D

seriously, with ref to a previous quote my question is how can saving your own water from the roof into containers save on the sewerage charge on ones water bill ? and apart from sending them the contents of the loo what about the waste water from washers, baths sinks etc etc does one recycle that at home too :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom