what irish plate is worth £3000?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We've been here before,the chap just makes a big deal on his plates
He's a member here but he must understand that plates mean nothing to some people

Cheap and tacky looking imho, like GAZ 5656, OIL 5655, BAZ5657 cheap covers and not long ago started at £69

Isn't that just a standard plate in Ireland?

3*3 with nice numbers such as MBZ 500 would looks ok...ish, maybe, possibly,

I just don't like cheap covers on UK cars sorry :(

For 3K you could get a nice dateless number 3*3 possibly your initails and some numbers, I know what I would rather invest in.

Direct copy and paste from the ad

no plate worth 3k on its own!!

He is correct. No plate is worth 3K on its own. Would not touch it with someone elses barge pole at that price.

£3000 will buy you virtually any (Northern) Irish plate except those featuring the number 1.

There are a few exceptions, of course. Looking at DVA auction prices, the record so far is for BIG 1, which went for £80,000, and WIL 1 (£50,000).

MBZ 3744 is worth peanuts - perhaps a couple of hundred pounds to the right buyer.

^ Now that is a good plate.

I'm not sure (the memory dims somewhat) but I think the Mayor of Belfast's oficial car was UZ I

Are you sure that wasn't the mayor of Tel-Aviv? :D

As above, the Lord Mayor of Belfast's car is registered 1 WZ (now on a BMW):

4858142712_8014a013de_s.jpg

MBZ 3744 is worth...well you make up your own minds.....

Attachments

• mbz.jpg
    mbz.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 159
Those are asking prices and there is reason why they are still for sale = The Price!

I think we did this one a few weeks back, Northern Irish plates are cheap unless they are very low in number/digits and they will fetch what the market will bear at that point in time. My neighbour tends to avoid them in the main and he's been in the late business for 25 years.

My neighbour tends to avoid them in the main and he's been in the late business for 25 years.

Is your neighbour Tony Hill? If so, he's been in the business a while longer than that...

My brother once worked for a shopfitting company called CIL International.

They had a load of Irish plates that were CIL 1-6. They all looked very smart on the firms Mercs.

Is your neighbour Tony Hill? If so, he's been in the business a while longer than that...

that's the fella you're probably right I just recall that figure in a conversation with him, perhaps that is how long Elite have been around?

Aberdeen being oil town there's a load of OIL plates, the winner being a chap not far from me with OIL 1 on a Nissan pickup truck!

that's the fella you're probably right I just recall that figure in a conversation with him, perhaps that is how long Elite have been around?

He got started in 1973, when he managed to buy HTV 1 and 1 HTV (including the cars they were on) for £200 each, hoping to sell them on to the local ITV franchise holder. However, they weren't interested, so he advertised them in the Sunday Times and managed to make £200 profit on the deal. Thus he got the bug for number plate dealing, and began trading as Elite Registrations a couple of years later.

He got started in 1973, when he managed to buy HTV 1 and 1 HTV (including the cars they were on) for £200 each, hoping to sell them on to the local ITV franchise holder. However, they weren't interested, so he advertised them in the Sunday Times and managed to make £200 profit on the deal. Thus he got the bug for number plate dealing, and began trading as Elite Registrations a couple of years later.

Tony Hill also tried his hand at racehorse ownership with a horse named "Elite Reg". A risky business if the horse turns out to be useless, but this horse wasn't at all bad.
The horse won 15 races over hurdles and fences which gave the company some super publicity, albeit after Mr Hill had sold it. Ouch! LINK.

Not quite as painful as the mistake made by broadcaster John Inverdale, though. He relinquished his share in the horse "Make A Stand" which subsequently went on to win The Champion Hurdle. :doh:

Both horses were dramatically improved after joining the then, all conquering trainer Martin Pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom