What is a standard clearance of Avantagrade? Is 10cm too low?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocho

Hi

I own E300TD 1998 and reasonably happy with its clarance and the car has been driven through various dirt roads with no apparent problems. With no passeners/load the clearance as measured as distance between the road surface and outer shell of the car just after the front wheel arch (I noticed it is about the lowest point in bodywork) is 15cm.

I am considerin buying this avantagrde (Mercedes-Benz E Class E320 CDi Avantgarde 5dr Tip Auto Diesel Estate 3.2 2002) but low clearance concerns me - it is about 10cm. I understand that Avantgade is supposed to be lower but by about 1.5cm not full 5cm. Does it mean the car was modified by lowrin it further? Or does it mean it has some problems? How much would it cost to put it to proper clearanc so that speedbump / country dirt roads were not a threat for the car?

The only way to compare ride heights is by measuring between the top of the wheel arch and the centre of the wheels.

The last time I did this my measurements were, front 13.75" and rear 14.75".

And this is how it stood then:

2009_0417_130635-Copy_zps429aa258.jpg

The front may have been a little lower than it is now...because the front springs were both broken at the time .

Last edited:
Mine E300TD 1998 Elegance both front and back are 14.5". So at most there should be 0.75" difference - quite small, I would say, as 0.75" is under 2cm.

So the car I saw yestrday must have been lowered below Avantarde specification as it is about 4-5cm lower rather than 2cm lower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom