What is dimming mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

d w124

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
w124 3.6AMG styling E320 S124 Lorinser styling
Sorry about the silly question,but what`s the diffrence to standart mirror?
Thank`s in advance :)

The function of a rear view dimming mirror is to stop you from being blinded by traffic from behind ie, 4x4 which sits much higher or a car with unaligned beams. The mirror contains a sensor which will dim the mirror to stop the light being reflected into your eyes. It works on the same principal as LCD as was found in digital watches. You can also get dimming side mirrors as well but if you are referring to your W124, rear view dimming mirror was an option but extremely rare however I hace mainly seen them sell on ebay.de. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The function of a rear view dimming mirror is to stop you from being blinded by traffic from behind ie, 4x4 which sits much higher or a car with unaligned beams. The mirror contains a sensor which will dim the mirror to stop the light being reflected into your eyes. It works on the same principal as LCD as was found in digital watches. You can also get dimming side mirrors as well but if you are referring to your W124, rear view dimming mirror was an option but extremely rare however I hace mainly seen them sell on ebay.de. Hope this helps.
Of course i does help mate thnx.I`ll keep my eyes on this than Mercedes W124 automatisch abblendbarer Innenspiegel AMG on eBay (end time 03-Feb-10 22:30:47 GMT)

Be warned Dash, they always go for silly money. I also recall Simal aka Akaash who is a forum member had a spare one, see if he still has it?
Forgot to mention, the power source is taken from the dome light and they also work with the infra red locking.

Be warned Dash, they always go for silly money. I also recall Simal aka Akaash who is a forum member had a spare one, see if he still has it?
Forgot to mention, the power source is taken from the dome light and they also work with the infra red locking.
:doh: So much money,that i don`t even have is going on that car lol.I`ll give Simal a call and see,thnx.I don`t have the infra red though

You do realise when you send a PM he will get a notification, no need to keep posting to let him know.

Thats one rare item have never seen an actual W124 fitment one before, people often have to get a W202/W210 one and modify it.
Let`s say if find a w202-210,is there a way i can tell is dimming?

The standard manually operated antiglare interior rearview mirror has always worked fine for me. By switching its angle with the lever on the lower edge its very effective in reducing glare from vehicles behind. You then of course start to get blinded by the side mirrors if they are set correctly!

It will have a small black hole on either the lower right hand or in the centre of the mirror itself. (the light senstive cell)

Last edited:
The standard manually operated antiglare interior rearview mirror has always worked fine for me. By switching its angle with the lever on the lower edge its very effective in reducing glare from vehicles behind. You then of course start to get blinded by the side mirrors if they are set correctly!

And mercedes being cheap only fit the drivers side dimming exterior mirror as BMW fit both drivers and passengers. :(

If it has the manual angle adjustment lever, then it isn't auto-dimming. The auto-dimming mirror has light sensors front and back.

And mercedes being cheap only fit the drivers side dimming exterior mirror as BMW fit both drivers and passengers. :(
Not an issue!
Good thing is that (at least in 203/209) you can always purschase a left dimming external mirror glass and have that option in your car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom