What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're not alone there Steve, we actually have 3, plus have given them as gifts to a couple of folk. 1 is a 2 tealight job, the other 2 have 3 tealights, we use one of each every Sunday for the roast and use all 3 if we have guests, as we prefer to put dishes on the table for folk to help themselves rather than plating up in the kitchen, Mum style! Also have 2 "hostess trolleys", one table top version in the kitchen that we use virtually every evening to heat plates and keep stuff hot so we're not tied to the chaos of trying to have everything ready at the same moment, the other a proper trolley in the dining room that we use for Sunday roast and visitors, the tabletop one must be 40 years old but still works fine, although does not have a thermostat, we would not like to be without either of them!

when she saw the lamb on the spit she started singing ‘Mary had a little lamb’!!
Many years ago I was in Andorra at a restaurant called Tios, they had a wood rack across the back wall, angled wider at the top and narrow at the bottom, in which the logs were burning. Across the front they had 3 rotisseries, so the one at the top was close to the fire and the one at the bottom was further away. When the logs burnt down far enough they would drop out the bottom and get raked under the horizontal grilling area in front of the rack - great for steaks, warming irons for creme brule etc. Brilliant design that I wanted to copy if I'd ever had the money to put a building over our pool at the old house - unfortunately that never happened.

You're not alone there Steve, we actually have 3, plus have given them as gifts to a couple of folk. 1 is a 2 tealight job, the other 2 have 3 tealights, we use one of each every Sunday for the roast and use all 3 if we have guests, as we prefer to put dishes on the table for folk to help themselves rather than plating up in the kitchen, Mum style! Also have 2 "hostess trolleys", one table top version in the kitchen that we use virtually every evening to heat plates and keep stuff hot so we're not tied to the chaos of trying to have everything ready at the same moment, the other a proper trolley in the dining room that we use for Sunday roast and visitors, the tabletop one must be 40 years old but still works fine, although does not have a thermostat, we would not like to be without either of them!

Have you discovered the delight of a pizza that's hot till the last piece? Until I finally used the pizza stone someone bought me years ago, I didn't know there was such a thing as hot last-slice-of-pizza. If you don't have one I urge you purchase - good value in The Range

Thanks Steve, but can't remember the last time we had a pizza! Will pass on your recommendation to dear daughter though, as she and hubbie are more into thinga like that then us!

Thanks Steve, but can't remember the last time we had a pizza! Will pass on your recommendation to dear daughter though, as she and hubbie are more into thinga like that then us!
I also use mine for sourdough products like naan plus flatbreads

Brings back memories of my first trip to Helsinki. The reindeer steak with cloudberry sauce was superb. The only red nose would have been mine as a result of too many glasses of wine.

Brings back memories of my first trip to Helsinki. The reindeer steak with cloudberry sauce was superb. The only red nose would have been mine as a result of too many glasses of wine.
I'm guessing then that the price of wine in Finland is not as eye-watering and wallet-melting as in Sweden

Got talked into making a lasagne for tonight, so spent an hour or more in the kitchen this afternoon dicing pepper, onion, leek and carrot then making a ragu with a 50/50 mix of decent steak mince and pork mince (both low fat), 250g of each, plus passata, garlic (3 large cloves finely chopped), red wine and worcester sauce. Have now built the lasagne - layer of ragu, 2 layers of pasta, grated mozarella and white lasagne sauce, top layer pasta, white sauce, mozarella then topped with grated peccorino, Oven is pre-heating now so have poured us both a sundowner while it heats up. It'll get about 40 minutes at 175C, rotating the dish at least once, then a few minutes of grill to brown the peccorino nicely. Will serve with ciabatta rolls (decent olive oil and balsamic vinegar of course!) and a red Montepulciano - Italian food ,Italian wine! We'll only manage half of it tonight, the rest gets cling filmed into the fridge probably for Monday evening!

Got talked into making a lasagne for tonight, so spent an hour or more in the kitchen this afternoon dicing pepper, onion, leek and carrot then making a ragu with a 50/50 mix of decent steak mince and pork mince (both low fat), 250g of each, plus passata, garlic (3 large cloves finely chopped), red wine and worcester sauce. Have now built the lasagne - layer of ragu, 2 layers of pasta, grated mozarella and white lasagne sauce, top layer pasta, white sauce, mozarella then topped with grated peccorino, Oven is pre-heating now so have poured us both a sundowner while it heats up. It'll get about 40 minutes at 175C, rotating the dish at least once, then a few minutes of grill to brown the peccorino nicely. Will serve with ciabatta rolls (decent olive oil and balsamic vinegar of course!) and a red Montepulciano - Italian food ,Italian wine! We'll only manage half of it tonight, the rest gets cling filmed into the fridge probably for Monday evening!
A 'proper' lasagne is a thing of beauty and difficult to beat; and yours sounds properly proper. Enjoy! 😋

Had batter (no chilli in it) left over from the bhajis last night so thinned a little and used it to batter some cod (with twice fried chips and mushy peas of course) Worked very well - the fennel seeds in particular added a nice edge to the fish. Think that is something I'll add to normal batter in future.

Well, the lasagne turned out pretty well, SWMBO even said it was the best one I'd ever made! God it's filling, SWMBO finished her 1/4 but I've got tomorrow's lunch off my 1/4!

Attachments

• Lasagne.jpg
    Lasagne.jpg
    579.2 KB · Views: 7
  • Lasagne02.jpg
    Lasagne02.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 7
First Sunday roast for us today since New Years Day. REALLY enjoyed it.

Daughter did home made Yorkshire Puds with a light sprinkling of Nando’s Peri-peri which was............... different. 🥴 (bless her).

Last night we had curry from my favourite Nepalese place, all washed down with seemingly too much beer as I'm a tad groggy today, and the 6.30am alarm was most unwelcome

Cottage pie but made with finely chopped beef as opposed to mince and a cheesy crusty top served with Brussel sprouts!

^Another Brussel sprout supporter:thumb:
There aren't many of us left;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom