What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been with Waitrose for many years, Findlatier and Todd before that, so get many freeebies and special offers.
Free delivery is at a much lower cost but we generally order monthly at £400, so delivery isn't a consideration. Outside this COVID-19 I get named day delivery FOC.

The children were cooking dinner tonight, for the first time ever. I couldn’t bare the suspense and braved walking into the kitchen.

When I found out it was a wrap - lay flat on the plate - with rice, chopped tinned tomatoes, grated cheese, and sweetcorn 😳 I promptly made myself a cheese, pickle and salad sandwich 😁

The children were cooking dinner tonight, for the first time ever. I couldn’t bare the suspense and braved walking into the kitchen.

When I found out it was a wrap - lay flat on the plate - with rice, chopped tinned tomatoes, grated cheese, and sweetcorn 😳 I promptly made myself a cheese, pickle and salad sandwich 😁
My 10 year old daughter made a cake all by herself. I said to her you can use whatever you want..... It was the biggest thing you have ever seen, inedible and the mess was :oops: I also said to her that she can make a mess as long as she tidies up. We have oak flooring in our kitchen and it was covered in butter and flour. She decided to clean it by dripping Fairy all over it. Que ice rink.
It was a social experiment, to see what she would do.

My 10 year old daughter made a cake all by herself. I said to her you can use whatever you want..... It was the biggest thing you have ever seen, inedible and the mess was :oops: I also said to her that she can make a mess as long as she tidies up. We have oak flooring in our kitchen and it was covered in butter and flour. She decided to clean it by dripping Fairy all over it. Que ice rink.
It was a social experiment, to see what she would do.

Hope you both at least made appreciative noises for the effort if nothing else and then some gentle & constructive criticism!

(Remember my own two when little bringing us breakfast in bed - stewed tea with tea leaves still in and soggy ripped toast. Consuming with a smile on our faces!)

Hope you both at least made appreciative noises for the effort if nothing else and then some gentle & constructive criticism!

(Remember my own two when little bringing us breakfast in bed - stewed tea with tea leaves still in and soggy ripped toast. Consuming with a smile on our faces!)

Of course, I did tell her the cake tasted awful though. I didn't really need to as she attempted to eat it herself and spat it out.

Today is a Tunisian dish I have concocted with lamb, onion, Tunisian spices, preserved lemon and couscous. Will also make some rougag flatbread to accompany it

("What's the recipie todayyy Jim?!" - bet well over 50% of members know and remember where that comes from!)

Today is a Tunisian dish I have concocted with lamb, onion, Tunisian spices, preserved lemon and couscous. Will also make some rougag flatbread to accompany it

("What's the recipie todayyy Jim?!" - bet well over 50% of members know and remember where that comes from!)
I’m in awe of the dishes available at your house. You should do bed & breakfast!

I managed to sidestep it without them realising I didn’t want it! To be fair my daughter has started making toast and tea for my wife in the morning, I guess my wife must be her favourite!

BBQ’ing again this evening. Enjoyed it last night but felt a wee bit odd without a glass of yummy stuff.

soon be Friday though.:)

Chicken madras tonight with turmeric rice and a pint of the amber nectar!

I’m in awe of the dishes available at your house. You should do bed & breakfast!

Thanks.

I love cooking and indeed am actually a qualified chef but, that was quite a number of years ago!

Sue and I do like our food (I do 95%+ of the cooking) and as neither of us particularly like takeaway, my place is in the kitchen. We don't eat like this all the time - tomorrow will be breaded chicken thighs & wings from Iceland with oven chips! My favourite kind of cooking is making something from very little (aka cheapskate......) I can make at least 5 meals from a chicken plus veg and store cupboard items. As you have seen, I also like to play/experiment with food - sometimes it goes wrong and that as far as we are concerned is what takeaways are for!!

I also make my own "convenience" food in the sense that I batch cook - we have a large larder freezer - it's not unusual to make 30 portions at a time. Lasagne using homemade pasta, chicken in my own seasoned breadcrumbs, chilli, pea & ham soup, fish pie, Mexican chorizo, hamburgers, reduced chicken stock (always have that on hand - family pass on their chicken carcasses!), 100 year sauces, soups etc.

We have a very small kitchen so it can be a challenge sometimes. I learnt to cook first in the RN and of course, space on board ship is at a premium so that was a good grounding.

Finally could I encourage people (especially where there are just the two of you) to invest in a halogen oven? I was given one and it stayed in the cupboard for about 6 months as I was far too grand to use something like that! Then one day our oven packed up, so it was used while we awaited a repair. Brilliant thing but limited in the quantity you can cook at one time, hence good for two people. We also use one at our caravan. Not brilliant for cakes and raw pastry, frying or long & slow cooking (I have a very old cast iron casserole dish for that) but everything else is brilliant. With the added bonus of reducing my cooking power bill by around 30%. Getting food in and out can take some getting used to - if you have the space and budget, get one with a hinged lid. Wish I could but do not have the space

+1 ^ for the halogen cooker, I've had one for years :thumb:

Thanks.

I love cooking and indeed am actually a qualified chef but.......

I’m only about an hour away from @Gollom so my first outing when lockdown is lifted will be southbound for 1 night B&B at their house to sample their culinary delights.
Not had the sample menu or room tariff through yet. I’ll keep you posted Rob.

Thanks.

I love cooking and indeed am actually a qualified chef but, that was quite a number of years ago!

Sue and I do like our food (I do 95%+ of the cooking) and as neither of us particularly like takeaway, my place is in the kitchen. We don't eat like this all the time - tomorrow will be breaded chicken thighs & wings from Iceland with oven chips! My favourite kind of cooking is making something from very little (aka cheapskate......) I can make at least 5 meals from a chicken plus veg and store cupboard items. As you have seen, I also like to play/experiment with food - sometimes it goes wrong and that as far as we are concerned is what takeaways are for!!

I also make my own "convenience" food in the sense that I batch cook - we have a large larder freezer - it's not unusual to make 30 portions at a time. Lasagne using homemade pasta, chicken in my own seasoned breadcrumbs, chilli, pea & ham soup, fish pie, Mexican chorizo, hamburgers, reduced chicken stock (always have that on hand - family pass on their chicken carcasses!), 100 year sauces, soups etc.

We have a very small kitchen so it can be a challenge sometimes. I learnt to cook first in the RN and of course, space on board ship is at a premium so that was a good grounding.

Finally could I encourage people (especially where there are just the two of you) to invest in a halogen oven? I was given one and it stayed in the cupboard for about 6 months as I was far too grand to use something like that! Then one day our oven packed up, so it was used while we awaited a repair. Brilliant thing but limited in the quantity you can cook at one time, hence good for two people. We also use one at our caravan. Not brilliant for cakes and raw pastry, frying or long & slow cooking (I have a very old cast iron casserole dish for that) but everything else is brilliant. With the added bonus of reducing my cooking power bill by around 30%. Getting food in and out can take some getting used to - if you have the space and budget, get one with a hinged lid. Wish I could but do not have the space
Some of my favourite gadgets:
  1. Pressure cooker - hours of simmering in 20 minutes
  2. Air fryer - oven chips in 6 minutes and nicer than oven cooked
  3. Bread maker - lazy but can be set so freshly baked loaf in the morning
  4. Bean to cup coffee machine - sounds and smells like an Italian cafe

1. Bread maker - lazy but can be set so freshly baked loaf in the morning

You tried making your own bread, in particular sourdough? Soooo satisfying producing something so delicious from just 3 ingredients and time. No kneading neither.

Best kitchen kit I have bought in a long while is the Ninja Foodie. Whole chicken in 30 mins with crispy skin is just one of many tricks .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom