What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In 1976 we were near the Thames looking for a pub on the river for a pint and lunch, saw a sign to "The Waterside Inn", sounded perfect. We're in jeans and T shirts. Turned out it was the Roux Brothers first restaurant in UK, Michelin stars etc!!. OK, they accepted us for lunch, wife asked for a steak well done, snooty head waiter said "perhaps Madam would prefer the rib roast" to which I replied "No, Madam would prefer a steak, well done" - which she got, and we both thoroughly enjoyed our lunch. 10 days later was wife's birthday so we booked a riverside table for dinner, dressed up, so much of the meal was disappointing I refused to ever again eat in a Roux Brothers restaurant despite getting a number of invitations to eat at La Gavroche in London!

Chicken marinated in soy sauce, miso paste and honey, and then stir fried. Served with broccoli, sugar snaps, and spring onions, dressed with toasted sesame seeds and pickled radishes, and served on jasmine rice.

That's a Lancashire steak, surely ...... Yorkshire one would be proper big.

p.s. what's that green stuff?
My nod to healthy eating ;) ! However I do enjoy a bit of salad with my meal.

Chef jokingly told her to 'get out' of the restaurant but said he wanted her to try a rare piece and he'd do it well if she still wanted it that way.
Almost 20 years ago we were at an international event run for Honda Pan-European owners in Noja, Spain. The evening meals at the hotel were superb and on one evening we were served steaks cooked blue. One of the guys on our table, Andy, was a Scot and he asked the waitress to return his steak to the kitchen for more cooking. A few minutes later she returned with his steak which was now cooked medium. "Nope," he said, "it needs more cooking", and she returned to the kitchen with it.

A few minute later the chef arrived at our table with a portable gas ring, a pan and Andy's steak, lit the burner and with a grin told Andy to cook it himself 😄

The exchange was all good humoured and I'll never forget Andy's advice to the chef: "I'm from Scotland. There, we cook a steak until it's black, then cook it again." 🤣

Little snacks with drinks.

Part baked baguette cut into rounds, sprayed with oil and baked for 6 minutes.

Season with S&P then top with rounds of goat's cheese (the log type with a skin), sprinkle of mixed herbs then bake for a further 6 minutes.

The Mrs likes a drizzle of honey on top, we sometimes put a slice of strawberry between the bread and cheese.

Season with S&P then top with rounds of goat's cheese (the log type with a skin), sprinkle of mixed herbs then bake for a further 6 minutes.

The Mrs likes a drizzle of honey on top, we sometimes put a slice of strawberry between the bread and cheese.

We love a little bit of sweet with soft cheeses too. Cranberry is our favourite

Last edited:

Sound lovely. Must try that.

We love a little bit of sweet with soft cheeses too. Cranberry is our favourite
We had bought the frozen, bread crumbed Camembert with a sachet of cranberry before and enjoyed the same in British restaurants but the best ever ones were in an Indonesian place in Lacanau (France) with the strawberries.

Lunch was home made burger in a bun with smoked cheese and salad. Last of the lager to wash it down.

Prawns and Pak Choi, basmati rice with a peanut, chilli and soy dressing for dinner tonight. Wine is chilling nicely in anticipation...

We had bought the frozen, bread crumbed Camembert with a sachet of cranberry before and enjoyed the same in British restaurants but the best ever ones were in an Indonesian place in Lacanau (France) with the strawberries.

Going to try that - thanks

Almost 20 years ago we were at an international event run for Honda Pan-European owners in Noja, Spain. The evening meals at the hotel were superb and on one evening we were served steaks cooked blue. One of the guys on our table, Andy, was a Scot and he asked the waitress to return his steak to the kitchen for more cooking. A few minutes later she returned with his steak which was now cooked medium. "Nope," he said, "it needs more cooking", and she returned to the kitchen with it.

I remember once we travelled to Paris from Scotland meeting colleagues from other countries for work meetings.
All went to the same place for dinner, standard Paris offering of steak and chips with pepper sauce with steak cooked in usual rare offering.
That night we were all violently ill and didn't make meetings next days.
After this I "preferred" to have the meat cooked to try and reduce the risks if i didn't know 100% just how good it was.

A few minute later the chef arrived at our table with a portable gas ring, a pan and Andy's steak, lit the burner and with a grin told Andy to cook it himself 😄

The exchange was all good humoured and I'll never forget Andy's advice to the chef: "I'm from Scotland. There, we cook a steak until it's black, then cook it again." 🤣

I remember once a Chef telling me that within reason if a customer likes something he has no problem whatsoever cooking it to their liking. A bit like if you like a white wine with steak and you enjoy it then that is all that matters.

Would be a dull place if we all liked the same thing.

As an example when I make Toast it is ready just as it starts to burn, for me toast has to be black. ;)

Sunday is my day off as herself likes the kitchen to herself doing the roast, all I have to do is prepare the meat for the oven, choose the wine and pour her a sherry (and an aperativ for myself of course!) about an hour before we sit down, then carve the meat. Today it's a small loin of pork, so I'll use the electric slicer for carving as SWMBO complains if it's carved more than 1-1.5mm thick, and this joint fits nicely on the slicer. Have a decent bottle of Chardonnay well chilled in the fridge ready! Probable accompaniements will be roast tatties (King Eddies), roast parsnips, think we still have a little celeriac left, roast carrots, and no doubt something green (not sure what).

Got home made Steak Pie in or Stew as it would be called, stew with puff pastry added later, smells lovely.
Love it, a staple pub lunch, usually presented in its own dish and as hot as a nuclear furnace!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom