What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Bit of a disappointment last night, decided to try Jamie Oliver's sirloin with chimichura sauce, from his TV program last Monday on Ch4. Even had the relevant part of the program on a TV I could see from the kitchen (paused so I could do "stage by stage"!) as well as the cook book. Bought a big lump of sirloin (it weighed about 18ozs as cut), trimmed and cooked turning it every minute for 3 minutes per side, then sliced - that part was lovely, the steak was almost blue in the middle. Made the chimichura sauce exactly as he did, that was really disappointing, no taste to it at all, no chilli bite despite 2 full red chillis in it. Lots of sauce left over so now in the freezer, not sure what to do with it!

This will change the way I cook sirloin from now, makes my griddles redundant as like Jamie I used a normal fry pan (I happen to have exactly the pan he used on the show!!), Pull the fat off the sirloin, chop it up and render it in the frypan, no need for cooking oil! Cut off the tough bit between the fat and the meat and throw it away. Season the steak well with sea salt and coarse black pepper, pan at medium heat (7 out of 10 on our induction hob), fry steak turning it every 1 minute, I did 3 minutes per side which was perfect for me but a bit too rare for Cora. Let the steak rest for a couple of minutes then slice the cooked steak in 5-8mm slices and serve.

Don't know about tonight, but just had a dozen fishfingers for lunch.

Bit of a disappointment last night, decided to try Jamie Oliver's sirloin with chimichura sauce, from his TV program last Monday on Ch4. Even had the relevant part of the program on a TV I could see from the kitchen (paused so I could do "stage by stage"!) as well as the cook book. Bought a big lump of sirloin (it weighed about 18ozs as cut), trimmed and cooked turning it every minute for 3 minutes per side, then sliced - that part was lovely, the steak was almost blue in the middle. Made the chimichura sauce exactly as he did, that was really disappointing, no taste to it at all, no chilli bite despite 2 full red chillis in it. Lots of sauce left over so now in the freezer, not sure what to do with it!

This will change the way I cook sirloin from now, makes my griddles redundant as like Jamie I used a normal fry pan (I happen to have exactly the pan he used on the show!!), Pull the fat off the sirloin, chop it up and render it in the frypan, no need for cooking oil! Cut off the tough bit between the fat and the meat and throw it away. Season the steak well with sea salt and coarse black pepper, pan at medium heat (7 out of 10 on our induction hob), fry steak turning it every 1 minute, I did 3 minutes per side which was perfect for me but a bit too rare for Cora. Let the steak rest for a couple of minutes then slice the cooked steak in 5-8mm slices and serve.
I have never enjoyed steak s much as I have since buying my large Weber gas bbq last year. It cooks them beautifully, infact, it cooks everything really well, much better than my previous bbq (also gas).

I also love to BBQ steak - but not had the weather for a while now, and BBQ is now covered up for the winter!

I also love to BBQ steak - but not had the weather for a while now, and BBQ is now covered up for the winter!
I try to use ours throughout the year, as the results are so nice. Another nice thing to cook is the classic roast chicken, cooked over a can of beer.

Had a "simply cook " beef rendang curry last night.
Recipe said use sirloin or rump.
Asked the butcher, he said nether.
He said use these - fillet tails, explained that they're the small bits left that they can't sell.
It was a great shout by him, because they were fantastically tender, and the meal was quite delicious.

Had a "simply cook " beef rendang curry last night.
Recipe said use sirloin or rump.
Asked the butcher, he said nether.
He said use these - fillet tails, explained that they're the small bits left that they can't sell.
It was a great shout by him, because they were fantastically tender, and the meal was quite delicious.
Filet tails are great value, especially if you’re slicing it - the thin end can be tricky to cut as it cools so much more quickly.

Usually half the price of filet (per kg) and no different in taste, texture or tenderness, just more tricky to cook.

When we buy a whole fillet we have the tails too and use them for steak sandwiches - they’re absolutely perfect for that.

Often appear in the "reduced for quick sale" at Tescos, I grab them as they're superb VFM for just about anything! Same for sirloin or ribeye - if they turn out to be not suitable for using as a steak they are excellent chopped up for curries or similar!

Filet tails are great value, especially if you’re slicing it - the thin end can be tricky to cut as it cools so much more quickly.

Usually half the price of filet (per kg) and no different in taste, texture or tenderness, just more tricky to cook.

When we buy a whole fillet we have the tails too and use them for steak sandwiches - they’re absolutely perfect for that.
I'll be honest, it was the first I heard of them.
I got 400 grams, it was something like £7.50.
They were sliced into strips were needed, and fried for maybe 40 seconds, then just left to rest on a warm plate while the curry was made, then chucked on for 3 or 4 minutes towards the end to warm them through.

They'd be great in a baguette with some fried onions and English mustard.
Infact I think that's what I think will be for lunch tomorrow.

They'd be great in a baguette with some fried onions and English mustard.
Infact I think that's what I think will be for lunch tomorrow.
They’re absolutely perfect for that. It sounds like they were already chopped/sliced when you bought it.

Intact they’re cone shaped as the filet tapers at the end - and the “point” is tricky to cook as a steak so slicing is ideal.

Alternatively if the tail is longer, then a trick my butcher suggested is to fold the tapered section back on itself and tie it.

It makes the thickness of the piece of meat more consistent and therefore it cooks much more uniformly, like a centre filet.

Sear it on all sides, in the over for 10 minutes, 10 minutes to rest, and then slice super thinly and it’s blooming wonderful.

They’re absolutely perfect for that. It sounds like they were already chopped/sliced when you bought it.
They definitely were in bits, I just had to slice them half mostly, there were a few bigger bits, but just sliced into thirds/quarters.

Went back today to get more - didn't have any left, so got two fillet steaks for our dinner tonight.
Also asked him about something for beef stroganoff since he didn't have fillet tails.
He said to use flank steak for that, hope he's right.

But tonight is fillet steak/chips & peppercorn sauce.

Tomorrow night will be a simply cook recipe for beef stroganoff.

They definitely were in bits, I just had to slice them half mostly, there were a few bigger bits, but just sliced into thirds/quarters.

Went back today to get more - didn't have any left, so got two fillet steaks for our dinner tonight.
Also asked him about something for beef stroganoff since he didn't have fillet tails.
He said to use flank steak for that, hope he's right.

But tonight is fillet steak/chips & peppercorn sauce.

Tomorrow night will be a simply cook recipe for beef stroganoff.
Nice! Filet steak and peppercorn sauce - that’s living the dream! 👌🏻

I tend to take the recommendation of my butcher, and he got us into whole rump medallions, which he swears is a better cut than fillet, and I have to say it is very good.

We buy whole medallions and either cut them into steaks or roast them. It’s tender -and very lean, and takes no time to cook so it’s great for midweek roasts.

If you enjoy filet then it’s worth asking your butcher and giving them a go as it’s around half the price of filet (per kg). Cooked rare and sliced thinly, great for sandwiches 👍🏻

Nice! Filet steak and peppercorn sauce - that’s living the dream! 👌🏻

I tend to take the recommendation of my butcher, and he got us into whole rump medallions, which he swears is a better cut than fillet, and I have to say it is very good.

We buy whole medallions and either cut them into steaks or roast them. It’s tender -and very lean, and takes no time to cook so it’s great for midweek roasts.

If you enjoy filet then it’s worth asking your butcher and giving them a go as it’s around half the price of filet (per kg). Cooked rare and sliced thinly, great for sandwiches 👍🏻
Warming up to room temperature nicely

Attachments

• 16028720144388858488184995484683.jpg
    16028720144388858488184995484683.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Homemade lasagne and might have lemon meringue for afters

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom