What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I imagine very little this evening as last night we had braised Venison cooked in Madeira with chestnuts, shallots, lardons, chestnut and porcini mushrooms, Dauphinoise potatoes, Savoy cabbage and carrots roasted with herbs and honey followed by a Lemon and Raspberry Pavlova and cheese :)

Fresh hot chocolate au pain with melon for breakfast.

Katsu Chicken with crispy chicken, rice. Served with a salad of cucumber ribbons and finely sliced radishes pickled in white wine vinegar.
I've often wondered about pickling thin sliced vegetables. How long do you leave them in the wine vinegar? Do you add sugar and any spices to aid the pickling?

Fresh hot chocolate au pain with melon for breakfast.

Katsu Chicken with crispy chicken, rice. Served with a salad of cucumber ribbons and finely sliced radishes pickled in white wine vinegar.
My daughter wasn’t feeling the katsu, so I rustled-up a Milanese style spaghetti dish for her using the same crispy breadcrumbed chicken breasts, and a tomato, basil and mushroom sauce.
I've often wondered about pickling thin sliced vegetables. How long do you leave them in the wine vinegar? Do you add sugar and any spices to aid the pickling?
I just used white wine vinegar - nothing else added - a couple of hours is more than enough, it takes surprisingly little time to absorb the tang from the vinegar - just 30 minutes would be enough to get most the taste without losing too much crunch.

I slice the vegetables as thinly as possible - or use a peeler for cucumber, carrots, and similar - and lie them as evenly and as flat as possible in a large baking dish and pour the white wine vinegar in - the level doesn’t need to come above the vegetables.

Cauliflower and carrots pickle really well in a jar but don’t leave them more than a week as they go soft more quickly than onions - or maybe they soften at the same rate - but don’t feel better for it!

My daughter wasn’t feeling the katsu, so I rustled-up a Milanese style spaghetti dish for her using the same crispy breadcrumbed chicken breasts, and a tomato, basil and mushroom sauce.

I just used white wine vinegar - nothing else added - a couple of hours is more than enough, it takes surprisingly little time to absorb the tang from the vinegar - just 30 minutes would be enough to get most the taste without losing too much crunch.

I slice the vegetables as thinly as possible - or use a peeler for cucumber, carrots, and similar - and lie them as evenly and as flat as possible in a large baking dish and pour the white wine vinegar in - the level doesn’t need to come above the vegetables.

Cauliflower and carrots pickle really well in a jar but don’t leave them more than a week as they go soft more quickly than onions - or maybe they soften at the same rate - but don’t feel better for it!
Thanks Rob, I’ll give that a try.

Do you use Panko breadcrumbs for the Katsu? I like the taste and deep crunch, but don’t get as good a coating as something like Paxo Golden Breadcrumbs.

Do you use Panko breadcrumbs for the Katsu? I like the taste and deep crunch, but don’t get as good a coating as something like Paxo Golden Breadcrumbs.
Are you coating your chicken/fish/ meat etc in flour, then beaten egg, and then breadcrumbs? Sometimes you need to repeat the process.

I like the look of that, Roger.

Is that coleslaw? Don't get that on the kebabs around here, although there is an ourstanding place nearby.

Is there a pita or naan bread hiding somewhere?
Yes that's coleslaw. Under that salad there is a pile of chips and doner meat with extra chilli sauce. No pitta bread. It's fattening;)

Yes that's coleslaw. Under that salad there is a pile of chips and doner meat with extra chilli sauce. No pitta bread. It's fattening;)

No fattening pita bread, but chips!

I read somewhere that a kebab is a pretty healthy meal.
My trouble is, I do like chips with mine and have pita bread.

Beef stew home made one of the lads dropped off for us, looking after his old mum and dad.

Was lovely by the way, mushrooms and shalottes. (edit)

Roasted Pork chops, Sprouts (yum yum) Cauliflower, Peas, Roast spuds and thick onion gravy.

Are you coating your chicken/fish/ meat etc in flour, then beaten egg, and then breadcrumbs? Sometimes you need to repeat the process.
Is there another way of coating? I do sometimes repeat the process for a ‘stronger’ coating of Panko, but without the flour second time around.

Yes panko, but I actually prefer the M&S breaded chicken breasts out of the chilled cabinets - they do a big pack with 7-8 fillets for £8 - I think they come out better and quicker/easier too. I find that the coating can crumble away when I make it myself and that never happens with the M&S ones!

I told my wife about your kebabs today and it even got her fancying one - she never fancies one but once in a blue moon has one to keep me quiet!

She won’t eat one from our local places - but she will have a healthy one from German Doner Kebab (GDK) in their wonderful waffle bread - link below:

Toad in the hole, mash, peas, gravy.

Beef casserole with jacket spud.

Did omlettes last night with a little turmeric added to the egg, can't say we noticed any difference from previous non-turmeric version but plates got cleared. Omlettes had mushroom (white and chestnut) and yellow pepper pre-fried, plus king prawn, chunky chips and Picpoul de Pinet - lovely! Thick Barnsley chops from the farm shop tonight, haven't yet decided how to cook, probably baked on veg.

Oven cooked fish and chips from the freezer. (Tartare sauce out of a jar.) Quick and easy after taking junior KE to her gymnastic class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom