What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am teaching my daughter everything I know about food and cooking. Its so important that she learns this as its our job as parents to prepare them for the outside world.

Wise words Olly/Natasha, we taught both of ours how to cook well before they headed to Uni - with our son we made a weekly thing that a certain evening each week was "boys night" so Mum could disappear for shower and primp while son and I prepared and cooked dinner. Did something similar with daughter (7 years younger), so both were well prepared when they went to Uni and had to fend for themselves. It's served both of them well - we don't see son any more, but do see daughter and are so pleased at her skills in the kitchen, does her husband and 2 young children proud (and healthy).

Wise words Olly/Natasha, we taught both of ours how to cook well before they headed to Uni - with our son we made a weekly thing that a certain evening each week was "boys night" so Mum could disappear for shower and primp while son and I prepared and cooked dinner. Did something similar with daughter (7 years younger), so both were well prepared when they went to Uni and had to fend for themselves. It's served both of them well - we don't see son any more, but do see daughter and are so pleased at her skills in the kitchen, does her husband and 2 young children proud (and healthy).

Used to do the same with my two. I remember once showing my daughter how to correctly portion a chicken into 7 pieces without chopping through bone. Normal "Dad, not interested, want to go out with my friends" etc. etc.

Fast forward maybe 20 years, now married with kids and she called me to say that she'd just portioned a chicken and realised it was a retained memory. That kind of education is never lost.

Beef marinated in soy sauce and ketjap manis and then stir fried, with red peppers, green beans and spring onions with a little five spice. Stirred in some boiled rice to absorb the excess sauce, and boom, tasty dinner!

Mrs D bakes a Victoria sponge with fresh strawberries and Nutella for desert. Lovely.

Yup, it's Friday so it's...

Pizza!! 😋
(and garlic bread, all washed down with copious quantities of Stella...) 🥴😄

Wife did some serious arm twisting on me, so for my sins I have to do pink veal escallopes tonight - beat the beejasus out of a couple of pieces of pink veal, dip in plain flour then egg then toasted breadcrumbe then fry in a mix of olive oil and butter. Proper PITA and messy to make, flour,egg and breadcrumbs mix sticks to my fingertips. Will probably also have to do a stir fry of mushrooms and sweet peppers in mushroom sauce while herself steams asparagus and deep fries twice cooked chips. Only saving grace is I think (hope) that's the last of the veal in the freezer, and we won't have access to more for quite a while!

Wife did some serious arm twisting on me, so for my sins I have to do pink veal escallopes tonight - beat the beejasus out of a couple of pieces of pink veal, dip in plain flour then egg then toasted breadcrumbe then fry in a mix of olive oil and butter. Proper PITA and messy to make, flour,egg and breadcrumbs mix sticks to my fingertips. Will probably also have to do a stir fry of mushrooms and sweet peppers in mushroom sauce while herself steams asparagus and deep fries twice cooked chips. Only saving grace is I think (hope) that's the last of the veal in the freezer, and we won't have access to more for quite a while!

Try panko breadcrumbs next time - the texture is amazing

Baguette cut into slices with a board of chicken liver pate, smoked mackerel pate and brie.

Almond stuffed olives and crisps on the side.

Some kind of curry later.

Tonight for myself and wife is lamb kebabs, with some pitta bread and some lettuce/scallions & sliced radish.
There's some garlic kebab sauce in a bottle in the fridge, so a drop of that spread in the pittas, and stuff them up with the kebab & salad.

Maybe some skinny fries on the side.

Try panko breadcrumbs next time - the texture is amazing

Steve, I had to Google that - and find it's very similar to what we already do, but so far we've also used any remaining crust rather than removing them before blitzing the bread in the food processor. I'll try that next time we make some - which could be soon! Currently I empty the food processor into an oven tray and bake for about 20 mins at 120C, give them a stir then bake for another 20 mins, cool then tubbyware in the fridge. Also when I tip some onto a chopping board for use, I run the wife's rolling pin over them to fine them down a bit.

Steve, I had to Google that - and find it's very similar to what we already do, but so far we've also used any remaining crust rather than removing them before blitzing the bread in the food processor. I'll try that next time we make some - which could be soon! Currently I empty the food processor into an oven tray and bake for about 20 mins at 120C, give them a stir then bake for another 20 mins, cool then tubbyware in the fridge. Also when I tip some onto a chopping board for use, I run the wife's rolling pin over them to fine them down a bit.
Panko is kinda shredded rather than blitzed and not fine or toasted. Most supermarkets sell them. Really is worth it. I buy them reluctantly as prefer to make my own breadcrumbs too - cheapskate me!

Panko/breadcrumbs are also nice mixed with a bit of parmesan and used as a topping on fish pie etc. Nice texture

Well. Just finished my DIY chores so quick shower the wine, goodies & YouTube music videos for an hour or so then our fav Friday night tea of Chicken Fajitas, lots of salad various sources and my personal fav of garlic mushrooms.
Happy Fun Friday peeps. 🥳

Panko is kinda shredded rather than blitzed and not fine or toasted. Most supermarkets sell them. Really is worth it. I buy them reluctantly as prefer to make my own breadcrumbs too - cheapskate me!

Panko/breadcrumbs are also nice mixed with a bit of parmesan and used as a topping on fish pie etc. Nice texture
Isn't Panko (Japanese bread) cooked in such a way as not to create a crust and doesn't absorb as much oil as western prep'd bread?

I just made some garlic & rosemary flat bread and a big pan of mushrooms with a very garlic butter, very nice.

No vampires here tonight. ;)
Garlic bread, well baguette actually, just warming nicely. Love the aroma...

Well for the first time in ages it looks like Cod and chips with a mixed salad and a bottle of lager.

Well, it was supposed to be a belated steak & blowjob but im advised that i have to settle for a pot noodle and a w@nk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom