What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Waitrose Chicken and gravy pie with oven chips. Just as well I had some southern fried chicken gravy mix handy as Waitrose seemed to forget most of the gravy in the pie. Not bad, but a doner kebab is calling me later on.

Salmon with lemon (latter from the tree by the bbq), fresh green asparagus and fresh tagliatelle, all done on the bbq. 30C again here, but rain forecast for tomorrow.

Périgord rosé leftover from yesterday, followed by Roche Mazet gris (a bargain at €2.60 and much more palatable than their ordinary fare).

Plus more Roche Mazet.

Currently coffee and chocolates ... well, I didn't have a dessert!

Sambuca/Grand Marnier/Cointreau to finish off ..... choice of, not all 3!

But, then again ... I'm not driving.

Well, the veal escalope went down really well, 2 completely clean plates! Realised that the 2 pieces of veal were from Carrefour Calais rather than the farm shop near Badgers Mount (Orpington-ish) and are probably the last we have in the freezer. Roll on the time we can do another booze cruise to Calais, our wine stock is depleting and now I know their pink veal is so much better (and no more expensive) than what I can get here.

Steve, I found that the breadcrumbs we already had were crustless, and worked really well. One trick I found some time ago online was to shake the frying pan while the escalopes were cooking, makes the crumb covering fluff up - and don't have the pan too hot, 6 maybe 7 tops on our induction hob is enough. Nice bottle of Rose helps too!!

Last night Doner Kebab. Been so long. Lovely too. Tonight it’s Yakitori Chicken.

@Sicario , how was the pot noodle?

Sue and I were recently reminded of a dish I "invented" for her when we first got together - I give you Chicken Birchall (which was her name when we met) An artery hardener, but hey-ho!

Cut a "pocket" in a chicken breast
Mix black pepper with grated parmesan and rub it inside the pocket
Stuff pocket with pate (we like to use a coarse one for this dish)
Season chicken with the parmesan & pepper
Wrap well in smoky streaky bacon
Gently batter flat with something heavy (flat side of meat mallet/heavy pan)
Rest for at least two hours or even overnight in fridge
Remover from fridge for 1 hour before cooking in olive oil & butter
Serve with Dauphinoise Potatoes (Sue's favourite - she would happily kill for them!!) and maybe green beans

Top Tip: Grate a little fresh nutmeg (seems to only work with fresh) onto each layer of the Dauphinoise before cooking. Only a little though - maybe 2 scrapes on each layer.

I'm thinking Basa fillets in curry but not sure (not been told...) yet which colour Thai green coconut or yellow Kaffir lime. Then again might go sweet chilli and Pak Choi .....

Sue and I were recently reminded of a dish I "invented" for her when we first got together - I give you Chicken Birchall (which was her name when we met) An artery hardener, but hey-ho!

Cut a "pocket" in a chicken breast
Mix black pepper with grated parmesan and rub it inside the pocket
Stuff pocket with pate (we like to use a coarse one for this dish)
Season chicken with the parmesan & pepper
Wrap well in smoky streaky bacon
Gently batter flat with something heavy (flat side of meat mallet/heavy pan)
Rest for at least two hours or even overnight in fridge
Remover from fridge for 1 hour before cooking in olive oil & butter
Serve with Dauphinoise Potatoes (Sue's favourite - she would happily kill for them!!) and maybe green beans

Top Tip: Grate a little fresh nutmeg (seems to only work with fresh) onto each layer of the Dauphinoise before cooking. Only a little though - maybe 2 scrapes on each layer.

As an alternative, cut/poke a hole all the way through the thickest part of the chicken, stuff with Stilton and then wrap in Serrano ham (preferred) or Parma ham or similar. Pop in oven.

or ... stuff with de-stoned prunes or dried apricots etc and wrap in ham.

Serve with a white sauce ... or your dauphinoise.

As an alternative, cut/poke a hole all the way through the thickest part of the chicken, stuff with Stilton and then wrap in Serrano ham (preferred) or Parma ham or similar. Pop in oven.

or ... stuff with de-stoned prunes or dried apricots etc and wrap in ham.

Serve with a white sauce ... or your dauphinoise.
Or stuff with garlic butter and deep fry in breadcrumbs, if only there was a name for that.

Incidentally , the Mrs made cod Kiev once, it was lovely.

Mushrooms are one of my fav things to have. Here's my current method but always happy/keen to learn and improve things:

• Mushrooms chopped into quarters placed in an oven dish.
  • 3 cloves of fresh chopped garlic.
  • Grated cheese.
  • Fresh single cream.
  • Dried chilli flakes.
  • Ground black pepper.
  • brown sugar.
180 degree oven baked for 20 minutes (stirring/mixing half way through).

Would appreciate any variations on Garlic mushrooms.

Mushrooms are one of my fav things to have. Here's my current method but always happy/keen to learn and improve things:

• Mushrooms chopped into quarters placed in an oven dish.
  • 3 cloves of fresh chopped garlic.
  • Grated cheese.
  • Fresh single cream.
  • Dried chilli flakes.
  • Ground black pepper.
  • brown sugar.
180 degree oven baked for 20 minutes (stirring/mixing half way through).

Would appreciate any variations on Garlic mushrooms.
We tend to do ours in a pan but same result no doubt.
Like to add some cognac and fresh rosemary and serve with crusty bread or part of a tapas menu.

We tend to do ours in a pan but same result no doubt.
Like to add some cognac and fresh rosemary and serve with crusty bread or part of a tapas menu.

I forgot to add parsley to my list above but will certainly try the rosemary. Not got Cognac but will get some on the next shop. :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom