What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Would appreciate any variations on Garlic mushrooms.

Family say my garlic mushrooms are the best.

Butter (lots), small chopped shallot, lots of garlic (lots) cooked in a pan. Add a touch of oil too.
Add mushrooms cook, little bit of white wine and some parsley.
Add double cream and bring up to heat and simmer to reduce sauce down, add seasoning to taste.

Looks a bit overcooked to me - I like it to go Moo when I stick my fork into it - or to quote the Texan mantra, y'all wash it's horns and it @rse and walk it slowly past the fire!!

Looks a bit overcooked to me - I like it to go Moo when I stick my fork into it - or to quote the Texan mantra, y'all wash it's horns and it @rse and walk it slowly past the fire!!

There might be a gap in your knowledge of how Texans do their steaks ;) 😁 .

Even, a steak cooked "blue" will have a well caramelised outside (if it is properly cooked). The only way to know how far it is cooked would be to cut into the steak or feel it.

On those in the picture (un-aged sirloin), the outside is caramelised (not as much as I usually like to do) and because it was not aged, I let it cook a little more so that the inside was on the rare end of 'meduim rare' rather than rare or blue (as my wife eats her steak).

Unless, it is a well aged piece of beef (especially from the more worked muscle groups like a rump or sirloin), it is better not to cook it too rare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like my steak blue, so blue a good vet could revive it :thumb:

I thought the Texan answer to "how would you like your steak" was "Just rip the horns off and wipe it's ****" 😋

That all said my fav is actually steak tartare 😍

Unless, it is a well aged piece of beef (especially from the more worked muscle groups like a rump or sirloin), it is better not to cook it too rare.

Which is why, at a restaurant that boasts about the quality and provenance of its steak, I always go for "blue". I've rarely been disappointed.

You're mah man!

I recall one, of many superb meals in France, where I elected to have vichyssoise followed by steak tartare. The waiter's eyes narrowed as he felt obliged to remind me that the soup and steak would both be cold...

Well, it was a hot summer and it remains amongst the top meals I have enjoyed - certainly in France.

Easy dinner tonight.

Grabbed a carton of left over chilli from the freezer and defrosted in the microwave.

Rolled up some chilli in tortilla wraps (X3) and put in the bottom of a steel dish, topped with ready made chilled cheese sauce, topped again with grated cheddar.

Will bake and top with fresh coriander.

Sounds a faff for basic food but, in reality, a piece of piss and always tasty.

Easy dinner tonight.

Grabbed a carton of left over chilli from the freezer and defrosted in the microwave.

Rolled up some chilli in tortilla wraps (X3) and put in the bottom of a steel dish, topped with ready made chilled cheese sauce, topped again with grated cheddar.

Will bake and top with fresh coriander.

Sounds a faff for basic food but, in reality, a piece of piss and always tasty.

Nice. We do that with stir fried chicken, peppers and onions moistened with bit of the sauce before being wrapped. I top with breadcrumbs for a bit of texture. Got some in the freezer actually, so thanks for sorting tea tomorrow!

I thought the Texan answer to "how would you like your steak" was "Just rip the horns off and wipe it's ****" 😋

Yep Woody Harrelson in "The Cowboy Way".

Steak Tartare - wife has been eating it since the 60s - never seems to have become mainstream. I prefer a bit of heat in my food. 😁

Used to eat tartare in the 70's, but moved to blue thereafter, it's a good test of the butcher as well as the chef, as a poor piece of steak (sirloin or ribeye) cooked blue will be tough! Big challenge was weaning my wife off "well cooked" whatever, as well as lemonade shandy instead of bitter, but she's learnt over the years, now it's steak rare and pickety witch over which bitter she likes to have (luckily a couple that I'm happy to have in the cupboard).

Used to eat tartare in the 70's, but moved to blue thereafter, it's a good test of the butcher as well as the chef, as a poor piece of steak (sirloin or ribeye) cooked blue will be tough! Big challenge was weaning my wife off "well cooked" whatever, as well as lemonade shandy instead of bitter, but she's learnt over the years, now it's steak rare and pickety witch over which bitter she likes to have (luckily a couple that I'm happy to have in the cupboard).

We went to a "posh" teppanyaki in Hampshire (early 2000's) and one of my friends wanted her steak well done. Chef jokingly told her to 'get out' of the restaurant but said he wanted her to try a rare piece and he'd do it well if she still wanted it that way. She tried rare and was converted.

It is all in the quality of the meat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom