What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hope to be having freshly caught langoustines tonight, served in extra virgin olive oil which will have garlic, chilli and finely chopped shallot in it, and some nice crusty bread to mop it up.
Local fisherman hasn't been able to get out due to bad weather here since Wednesday, but today is a gorgeous sunny hot day.
Yay, the fisherman turned up a couple of hours ago with my 2kg of very fresh langoustines.

Bit of a mish - mash tonight :

Pate / toast / caramelized onion.
Lasagna with garlic bread.
Sticky toffee pudding with cream.

K

Grilling outdoors again, marinated salmon fillets with thyme and dill covered potatoes also on the grill a bit of salad.

Sirloin steak, thick chips, chopped red onion and mushrooms with mushy peas. English mustard and bread and butter on the side.
Proper tasty and a bit of a repeat of last weeks steak dinner.

Monday is often cheat night, so tonight was left over roast loin of pork with a couple of slices of Xmas turkey breast, re-heated in turkey gravy and served with mashed tatties and steamed baby carrots and fine beans - all washed down with Muscadet. Good, but nothing special! Have to get my thinking hat on tomorrow as I'm back on duty for probably a stir fry of breast of chicken (chunked) with sweet pepper, mushroom and onion in some kind of sauce, either rice or pasta.

Same here. :)

So far I've had:

Burger King, Bacon XL, fries and fanta
Tesco Chocolate Sundae
Bag of Hoola Hoops
Bag of Cheese and Onion
Cadbury Mini Egg Easter Egg

No beer?

You're lucky, if I take my CPAP mask off to go for a pee and don't put it back on, I get kicked hard because I'm snoring - and have the bruises to proove it!🥵🥵

You're lucky, if I take my CPAP mask off to go for a pee and don't put it back on, I get kicked hard because I'm snoring - and have the bruises to proove it!🥵🥵

I feel your pain - literally!

My grandaughter asked me just before lockdown why I had an Alice band on - as I am thin on top (OK, OK bald!) took me sometime to workout that she was referring to the "dent" across my head where the CPAP strap goes!

Get in our tummies! Roast spuds just the way we like them - crispy outside and fluffy inside. Lots of veg - Sue even tried a Brussel sprout! As it's her birthday we shared a bottle of fizz. The wine was interesting - a hint of vanilla which was new to me in a Shiraz
View attachment 96899 View attachment 96900 View attachment 96901
We had a roast turkey dinner last night too.

When it was difficult to buy food a few months ago I bought some frozen roast potatoes and carrots (as there weren’t any fresh potatoes!) and we ate them yesterday. Not as good as fresh but I enjoyed them more than I thought I would.

We had a roast turkey dinner last night too.

When it was difficult to buy food a few months ago I bought some frozen roast potatoes and carrots (as there weren’t any fresh potatoes!) and we ate them yesterday. Not as good as fresh but I enjoyed them more than I thought I would.

The roast spuds surprised me too! Aldi do some goose fat ones which are good

I like to use duck fat (see previous post re Confit d'Canard) and a dusting of fine semolina after par-boiling and shaking (the spuds, not me.....)

Any chance of the recipe?

Growing up in South Africa 50s to 90s, we were exposed to Indian (back then, the biggest Indian population outside of India, was in SA) and with a large Portuguese population in SA (couple of their colonies close by where we would holiday) their food as well.
Hi,

So here is my wife’s recipe for traditional Goan pork curry - as promised!

Before we start - a few things to note!
Really is takes three days for this dish to taste best.
Marinate on day 1
Cook it on day 2
Eat it on day 3
If you are more desperate - you can marinate it all day - cook it in the evening and also eat it that evening - but the best things come to those that can wait!
We use a combination of pork belly and nice chunky pork chops - both with a good amount of pork fat - this adds flavour, texture and keeps the meat tender. Do not trim off the fat and throw it away - this would make the meat very dry and bland!
We use whole dried red Kashmiri chillies in our recipes - that we grind in a spice grinder - rather than using red chilli powder.
This is for two reasons - firstly taste & colour - Kashmiri chillies give a deep red colour but are not too fiery hot and secondly we grind our own whole red chillies because there have been a lot of documented cases of red chilli powder being doctored with dangerous red colouring chemicals (that might even be carcinogenic).

Ingredients
Now my wife does not accurately measure anything - all done by experience and taste but these are good approximates of what you need!
1 kg of fresh pork - combination of pork belly and good chunky pork chops.
Cut into 1 inch chunks - put bones in the curry as well

Marinade
1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
6 whole cloves
1/2 teaspoon of whole black peppercorns
Around 16 whole red dried Kashmiri chillies
1/2 teaspoon of tumeric
1 tablespoon of white vinegar
Salt to taste
Grind the chillies and other spices and mix with the vinegar
Season with salt.
Mix these spices and salt with the pork in a bowl
Cover and refrigerate - preferably overnight.

Rest of the spices
Vegetable oil for frying
4 medium chopped onions
2 large potatoes (optional) cut into small cubes - my wife does not like potatoes in curries - I do - big rows normally!
Loads of garlic - minced - 10 or more cloves
Piece of fresh ginger - again minced - maybe 2 or 3 inches of ginger root
2 fresh green chillies - deseeded and cut into strips (used for garnish at end of cooking)
Around 1/4 cup of white vinegar.
Two cups of boiling water

Cooking
Heat oil in large pot or wok - medium to high heat
Add onions, garlic and ginger and cook until nice golden brown colour
Add the pork with the marinade
Cook for around 5 minutes - stirring continuously.
Add the boiling water and the (Optional) potatoes.
Reduce heat, cover and simmer until pork is nice and tender - around 45 minutes normally.
Stir in the green chilli strips and the vinegar.
Simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes or so - until sauce has thickened nicely.

Enjoy!

Cheers
Steve

We use whole dried red Kashmiri chillies in our recipes - that we grind in a spice grinder - rather than using red chilli powder.
This is for two reasons - firstly taste & colour - Kashmiri chillies give a deep red colour but are not too fiery hot

Will be trying this. I like the texture of pork when cooked in "stew" and think it wrongly gets a bad rap!

Sue and I are both big wusses when it comes to heat, but like the taste of chilli. How hot is this recipe with Kashmiri chillis if 10 is "JESUS!" and 1 is "where is the chilli?"

I've just bought 4kg of langoustines straight off the boat for £20 so I'll be having a bash at prawn linguini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom