What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What, no salad?
Salad is there, keep it healthy 😆

Last night was venison steaks, with cauliflower cheese, broccoli and mash potatoes.

Most of the salmon you buy today is farmed and nowhere near the real thing - which you can still get, but is prohibitivly expensive. We gave up on buying fresh salmon a good while ago, it's too bland and fatty/oily, and locally the only occasionally available alternative was Alaska Kita salmon which went too far the other way. However, we have recently discovered Lidl's frozen Salmon en Croute at £3.99 for 2 paople - and it's fine, and at that price a steal. However, our preferences for our weekly fresh fish night is still sea bass, sea bream (both full fish admittedly farmed) or lemon sole fillets, which we tend to buy on the "reduced for quick sale" bin and freeze, I either bake or grill full fish or pan fry fillets, serve with a white sauce of some description adding 10-12 king prawns to the sauce if we're having fillets.

Ours is probably farmed but normally buy a 2kg fillet and cut it into cutlets about twice the size of your normal prepack items. Never enough salmon for a decent meal 250g and it's gone before your halfway through the veg.

Turkey slices,new potatoes,cauli florets,mushrooms,and a cheese sauce!

Bought some pink veal escalope the other day, minced the trimmings so tonight I made a lasagne with the minced veal (200g) and minced skinless chicken breast (about 210g) instead of my normal mix of 250g each of low fat beef mince and pork mince. Worked very well, 2 clean plates plus another 2 meals for 2 from the leftovers! Diced carrot, onion and leek plus thin sliced ordinary and chestnut mushrooms in the ragout ( a heaped tablespoon of diced chorizo in the fat befor browning the meat and veg), sauce of passata, red wine, crushed garlic (lots!), worcester sauce, dried herbs and coarse ground pepper, white lasagne sauce and grated mozarella between the layers and on top, topped also with a good sprinkle of peccorino. 45 minutes fan oven 175deg then about 5 mins under a medium grill to finish browning the top. Not the first time I've made a dish of lasagne, but management opinion is this was the best yet! OK it's a fiddly sod to prepare, especially continuous stirring while browning the meat and veg and shaping the lasagne sheets to fit the dish, but worth it!

Bought some pink veal escalope the other day, minced the trimmings so tonight I made a lasagne with the minced veal (200g) and minced skinless chicken breast (about 210g) instead of my normal mix of 250g each of low fat beef mince and pork mince. Worked very well, 2 clean plates plus another 2 meals for 2 from the leftovers! Diced carrot, onion and leek plus thin sliced ordinary and chestnut mushrooms in the ragout ( a heaped tablespoon of diced chorizo in the fat befor browning the meat and veg), sauce of passata, red wine, crushed garlic (lots!), worcester sauce, dried herbs and coarse ground pepper, white lasagne sauce and grated mozarella between the layers and on top, topped also with a good sprinkle of peccorino. 45 minutes fan oven 175deg then about 5 mins under a medium grill to finish browning the top. Not the first time I've made a dish of lasagne, but management opinion is this was the best yet! OK it's a fiddly sod to prepare, especially continuous stirring while browning the meat and veg and shaping the lasagne sheets to fit the dish, but worth it!

I have an obscure Italian cookery book which swears his momma's secret ingredient in a ragout is no more that quarter teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg. And they are riot wrong! Gives a lovely savoury note where you can't quite identify what causes it!

Salad at Chez Dazzler. We bought a whole boneless cooked ham - the sort they only sell in supermarkets at Christmas - and had lots of it with cubed medium cheddar cheese, mixed leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, coleslaw and potato salad.

I now need to buy another couple before they sell out!

Salad at Chez Dazzler. We bought a whole boneless cooked ham - the sort they only sell in supermarkets at Christmas - and had lots of it with cubed medium cheddar cheese, mixed leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, coleslaw and potato salad.

Sounds nice, apart from the mixed leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, coleslaw and potato salad!🤣

Sounds nice, apart from the mixed leaves, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, coleslaw and potato salad!🤣
I’ll remember to get an extra large hogan when you come round for dinner!

I need to start eating more of this kind of food. Just as well I love it.
The kebabs and steak dinners are making my trousers shrink.

Big diet after Xmas is in order. Never been heavier at 14 .9:(

Well making a start on the mountain of food we have for the xmas period with nobody coming for the dinners we had planned,so today it is a shoulder of lamb,deboned by SWMBO,she was a butchers daughter and rosemary out the garden and garlic,together with the usual roast and yorkshire puddings and veg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom