What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Seen these in supermarket and had a notion for simple Steak & Chips.

20201230_204243.jpg

20201230_204311.jpg

Very nice too.

Supermarket a joke with folks shopping for their big parties. Total lack of respect for keeping out of other people's space!

Reprised my Monkfish and Scallops dish from Sept 23rd (What is everyone having for dinner tonight? | OT (OFF Topic) Forums post 1175), this time I did salt the monkfish early then washed it off, made no noticeable difference, also cannot now get Taste of Asia Tamarind sauce so used Schwartz white wine and tarragon instead - nowhere near as good. As before, baby tatties and steamed veg with a lovely (our favourite) Argentine Pedro Giminez white from Naked Wines to wash it down, and as befoe, 2 clean plates.

I was working today, so had to be a swift put together. M&S smoked haddock fishcakes served with a poached egg, lightly steamed asparagus tips and a drizzle of the new expensive balsamic vinegar I got for Christmas. 2018 Louis Latour Montagny premier cru.

Wish you'd sent that Montagny Premier Cru to me for testing - it would have been given a VERY thorough test, but I would then have to regretfully report none was left for you! I have a memory of a special night out many years ago to a restaurant in the good food guide where the abiding memories are my wife for the first time having to deal with langoustines - and having been shown how to get at the tail meat proceeded to demolish them, while I lost time getting the meat out of the claws tempting her to try to steal another tail or two from me. Then we had salmon fillet - first time I'd had salmon cut that way rather than across the fish, it was superb. Guess what washed it down - yes, Montagny Premier Cru (don't know what year) which was superb. Unfortunately this small restaurant - called The Little Byres as it was a converted sheep byre with probably only 4-6 tables - did not survive long, but it gave us an abiding memory from about the late 1980's as well as teaching us to use salmon fillet rather than steak!

Well to-night its Black Country Beef Stew .Boiled it up last night , and then it sat tovernight to ferment . And a nice piece of new, well done crusty loaf.. yum yum

Made a very large pot of Scottish Lentil soup with ham so just had this with some crusty bread. Home made steak pie being prepared for tomorrow too.

Haute cuisine tonight - fish finger sandwiches. Kiddie food :)

Cheers,

Gaz

Wife wanted a special meal tonight, so starter was Coquilles St Jacques (Tesco Finest christmas food) washed down with prosecco, followed by fillet steak, chips, steamed asparagus, and peas, with a pepper sauce with stir frid mushrooms, sweet pepper and onion, all washed down with a rather splendid red burgundy - unfortunately our last bottle, don't know when we'll be able to get another from our wine shop in Ardres! Not a lot left anywhere after that, both feeling replete and FDH, thankfully still with glass in hand for the Portal calls to friends then family!

NYE Menu was :

Pan-fried and oven-roasted stuffed Quail wrapped in pancetta with game chips, chicken stock, and white wine sauce.

Loin of Venison with celeriac purée, parmesan parsnips, red cabbage with shallots with red wine, port, thyme and chocolate sauce followed by Cranachan and cheese and biscuits.s

Some drink may have been taken :)

New Years Eve dinner was a little tense in the Dazzler household.

Takeaway ordered from our favourite Thai restaurant at 1845, a bit late but fine as we’d be having a late night. Order confirmation said collect at 2055, even later, but as I say, OK as it’s be a late night.

I arrived early in case the food was ready early. Despite the roads being completely deserted there must have been a dozen or more cars parked outside. I looked inside to see at least ten men waiting in masks.

Hoping it wasn’t a really slow hold up, I entered. I asked the guy closest to me if I needed to go through to the kitchen. He told me that he had been waiting 1h 45m. Another chap had been waiting 2 hours!

The waiter came out and I said I would like to cancel. The guy who’d waited 2h said “me too”, at which point the waiter said “but yours is almost ready”. He asked how much longer to be told only another hour!

Then another four chaps said they’d also like to cancel, the shortest wait had been an hour. Thankfully I hadn’t paid up front (the others all had) so I scarpered from the ensuing chaos sharpish.

So I then had a disappointed dash to the pizza restaurant, McDonalds, KFC and finally our local fish & chip shop, all the time dialling and redialling our usual Chinese takeaway but it kept ringing out.

I still hadn’t got through as I arrived at the Chinese, tried again twice more whilst parked out front - even though it looked like they were closed. I tried one last time as I set off home. Boom, they answered!

So thankfully we ended up with a wonderful (albeit late) meal, but I suspect others in the same boat went without. Shocking really, especially when the least expensive dish is £11 (takeaway) plus rice, etc.

I absolutely adore Thai food, but our Chinese takeaway really is great. I had Chicken & sweetcorn soup, Yuk Sung, Filet steak with wine & chili, and egg fried rice. Wonderful.

Screenshot_20210101-171341.png

Sirloin steak, spuds with butter have to have butter lol mushrooms and cauliflower cheese.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom