What is everyone having for dinner tonight?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Should have been sitting down to roast pork loin(with the normal complement of veg, roasted and steamed) right now, bloody oven decided to switch itself off for some reason, did not notice for a while so dinner delayed for 30-45 minutes! Wife said "thank goodness we don't have visitors", my reply was "we'd just give them another drink!!" (and poured myself another of course!).

Oven cooked pork chops with sage & onion stuffing, pork sausage, roasted red onion, roast potatoes, broccoli, peas, plenty of sprouts and pork gravy.:rock:

Oven cooked pork chops with sage & onion stuffing, pork sausage, roasted red onion, roast potatoes, broccoli, peas, plenty of sprouts and pork gravy.:rock:
Sprouts - food of the devil.
The rest sounds lovely.

We had our ham, egg and chips.

We usually have too many bags of frozen peas, but we had just one bag with barely any in. I had just got back from the petrol-station-with-a-little-supermarket too, so I could have picked some up.

Nevermind, I just had to ration the peas 😁 ...Still blooming wonderful though.

Mrs D and I tag-teamed on homemade rhubarb and apple crumble with custard. Blooming lovely too.

A little earlier and more a late lunch but roast chicken with butter, lemon, and tarragon under the skin. Roast potatoes, roast beetroot. leek gratin and carrots.

Apple and blackberry crumble and custard (home-made!) :)

Thankfully the hiatus with the oven did not ruin the meal, just delayed it a little, washed it down with a most enjoyable Argentine Pedro Giminez from Naked Wines, decided to order some more - not only was that out of stock, so was the Torrontes, the Arabella Vignonier and a couple of other favourites! Although we've found an acceptable Torrontes from Lidl, their Chilean Pedro Giminez is cooking wine not for drinking. Just wish we could do a Calais booze cruise to top up our stock of every day Pays D'Oc red, white and rose!

Great big very very thick gammon steak for me tonight. It was outrageously good 👍🏻

Game pie (venison, partridge, rabbit and wild boar in a duck based sauce) with steamed asparagus and broccoli spears. When I told my 5-year old daughter that it was game pie her eyes lit up and she said she’d just been playing a game. I then made the mistake of explaining to her what game was. The tears welled up as she questioned rabbit - her favourite toy for most of her life is a fluffy rabbit. Kudos to her though because she ate everything, albeit reluctantly with the meat.

Game pie (venison, partridge, rabbit and wild boar in a duck based sauce) with steamed asparagus and broccoli spears. When I told my 5-year old daughter that it was game pie her eyes lit up and she said she’d just been playing a game. I then made the mistake of explaining to her what game was. The tears welled up as she questioned rabbit - her favourite toy for most of her life is a fluffy rabbit. Kudos to her though because she ate everything, albeit reluctantly with the meat.
Did you mention Bambi was in the pie as well?:D

Always give out the ingredients list after the meal.

Did you mention Bambi was in the pie as well?:D

Always give out the ingredients list after the meal.
Many, many years ago I experienced a similar situation: in Scandinavia on a company arranged visit of our installations, I was in a restaurant with my hosts who had pre-ordered dinner. A very nice looking steak which was enjoyed by all. I innocently asked what kind of steak. "Reindeer" came the reply.
To be fair to my genial hosts, they did all laugh when I said "OMG, Rudolf......!"

Re-visited the medallions of monkfish tail and queen scallops tonight, white wine, lemon sauce with added passata and a touch of sweet chillli, halved mini sweet peppers and thick sliced chestnut mushrooms, boiled baby pots, steamed fine green beans and purple sprouting broccoli, washed down with Lidl's Torrontes (white). Yet again, 2 plates scraped clean and about to settle into the armchairs for the other half of the Torrontes!! Brownie points for me with SWMBO tonight!

Many, many years ago I experienced a similar situation: in Scandinavia on a company arranged visit of our installations, I was in a restaurant with my hosts who had pre-ordered dinner. A very nice looking steak which was enjoyed by all. I innocently asked what kind of steak. "Reindeer" came the reply.
To be fair to my genial hosts, they did all laugh when I said "OMG, Rudolf......!"
Brings back memories of my first trip to Helsinki. The reindeer steak with cloudberry sauce was superb. The only red nose would have been mine as a result of too many glasses of wine.

Great big fresh cod fish fingers, cooked in the oven, with frozen oven chips (fries) and tinned baked beans.

It took me straight back to being a teenager. My favourite school lunch was two portions of fish fingers, two side salsa, chips and beans. i was a growing lad! 😁

A nice piece of Waitrose Rump steak with skinny fries done in the air fryer, red onion, mushrooms, grilled tomato and peppercorn sauce.
Very tasty.

20210225_171616[1].jpg

Those fries look good, tried to get SWMBO interested in an air fryer, but it's "new tech" which she never gets on well with - she's still learning how to use the BTTV box even though we've had it 4 or 5 years! So - deep fat fried chips tomight - it's Thursday, so steak night, chips, griddled asparagus, steamed purple broccoli and a mushroom/pepper/onion sauce that I need to play with a little while she's not looking!

Had a mini Indian banquet tonight - curry that Sue made from the freezer, basmati rice, mini samosas (shop), onion bhajis, crispy Bombay potatoes, naan and a poppadum. Mango chutney and yogurt & mint sauce on the side. Yummy!

Ages ago I bought a couple of those warmers with two tealights in. Paid for themselves many times over the years with hot food! I have an electric buffet server but for tonight that would have been overkill (and more washing up!) Highly recommend having one around

My daughter loves Dumbo her Flemish Giant rabbit but when we’re over in Skiathos she’s got no problem tucking into a nice plate of κουνέλι (rabbit).
Our first Easter there she was only 2 and when she saw the lamb on the spit she started singing ‘Mary had a little lamb’!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom