What is going on - No more Petrol/Diesel by 2040

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
They are only planning to stop manufacture of new petrol vehicles by 2040?
Thinking positively, this means that there is still another 23 years of being able to buy internal combustion vehicles brand new.
After that, there will be millions of proper cars still on the road and available for many years after for us all to play in? (well, those of us who are still alive !) :thumb:

This is true, but it means that scrappage schemes and all sorts of ideas to rid older cars before this date means that you will lose a lot, it will also become very hard own a fossil fueled vehicle, you know how the goverment love a good tax system, its just an excuse to rape us with tax until we buy electric, then when everyone buys electric that'll get taxed to hell and back just like with diesels before all of a sudden "DIESEL IS BAD RID THE WORLD EVEN THOUGH 7YRS AGO WE SAID RID ALL PETROLS AND BUY DIESEL"

politicians always wants to blame other, something like finding a fall guy to blame, then to have the reason to ban cars and other crap coz the other party is the bad guy!

when something is repeated a thousand times by scoundrels some people tend to believe the repeated myths!
need to be skeptic and not to trust politicians what they rant all the time coz they are the worst kind of scoundrels!

after 2040 are they going to scrap all diezel/petrola cars?
that's a massive waste of money and energy!

Thats exactly it mate, its a joke and a scam, they would rather waste billions on ruining a lifelong heritage.
Motorsport and cars have been part of the biggest sucesses in Britain, all those heroes that gave there lifes for the sport over the decades and its come to this?
Guys used to race open wheel 400bhp cars with no seatbelts for god sake and they returned every weekend because they loved it, it was a thrill, now dont get me wrong im not saying i disagree with the whole safety improvement but nothing comes close to the mechanical experience of a well sorted race car, nothing but man and machine working the gearbox, clutch and pushing the engine/drivetrain as hard as you dare... the smell of unburnt fuel when you let off and down blip through the box.
the resonance in the chassis felt in your body as the vibrations of the engine rattle through the car due to its solid mounts.
That moment you sit on the line waiting to go, revving the engine.. dropping the clutch to get that perfect launch.
That feeling will never be replecated in an electric car no matter what.

Thats what its all about and all that will be gone with electric, its already happening slowly now.
Golf R has a speaker to improve noise, engines are geting smaller and turbo'd.
Back in the days a turbo was something that everyone went "oh my god, he's running a turbo :eek: "
Now even a 1.0l 3cyl comes out the factory with a turbo,
All these strict emmision rules that are imposed by the EU... oh wait we arent part of the EU now are we? SO WHY ARE WE EVEN DOING THIS!
Honestly boils my blood.
Remove cars from cities, improve public transport and address the terrible economy.
People will soon have no escape, we all jump into our cars and go for a drive when we feel stuck, the noise and feel of driving a proper sorted car puts a smile on your face no matter what!
Maybe im jumping way to deep into this, but i just feel that all the fun is being slowly sucked out the country by the do-gooders and eventually we will have nothing...
Air shows, motorsport, steam rally's all these things all that history people want to erase it... why?

The biggest problem facing the world is not people dying due to pollution but the exponential growth in world population. So, why, oh why, is everyone intent in making that problem even worse?

My thoughts as well, nature will always find a way to resolve over population.

They are only planning to stop manufacture of new petrol vehicles by 2040?
Thinking positively, this means that there is still another 23 years of being able to buy internal combustion vehicles brand new.
After that, there will be millions of proper cars still on the road and available for many years after for us all to play in? (well, those of us who are still alive !) :thumb:

As always, the devil is in the detail and the headline is not so 'grabbing' when you see it only applies to new vehicles after this date.

The alternative fuels and infrastructure to accommodate these alternative fuel vehicles will need all of this time and more to offer a viable replacement for the internal combustion engine, in my opinion. Also, there is big business, and many countries with vested interests in the oil / petroleum industry, which will refuse to 'get on board', no doubt!

The biggest problem facing the world is not people dying due to pollution but the exponential growth in world population. So, why, oh why, is everyone intent in making that problem even worse?

A very good point!

Global famine rather than pollution maybe a bigger world issue by 2040!

I don't give a toss.

By 2040 I'll be about due to give up driving anyway (who'd want to be racing around aged 40 anyway?).

I don't give a toss.

By 2040 I'll be about due to give up driving anyway (who'd want to be racing around aged 40 anyway?).

I'm sure there's a lot of people here that are over 40 that love fast cars still, I know I'd still be like a child at heart when I'm 40 even 50 so speak for yourself lol.

I'm sure there's a lot of people here that are over 40 that love fast cars still, I know I'd still be like a child at heart when I'm 40 even 50 so speak for yourself lol.

My dads in his mid 50's and owns a W211 E63 with a remap and drives it exactly how he used to drive his rally cars back in the 80's
Im thankful that man has never fully grown up!

My dads in his mid 50's and owns a W211 E63 with a remap and drives it exactly how he used to drive his rally cars back in the 80's

Lol that's awesome, that's the way to be better than being a boring old bloke that's gave up on life lol.

Funny thing is we will run out of power if the population continues as is and consumption per person isn't drastically cut.

Me, I'll be buying a coach and set of horses (yee ha!)

Should impact the Superyacht industry when our friends in the middle east cant affort to buy their yachts and pay for suite full of blondes at Dorchester Hotel.

back to car ownership, will used petrol and diesel cars become more desirable in the same way discontinued Rolex watches have skyrocketed in cost over the last 5 years?
Will fuel cost become excessively high to compensate the reduced global consumption to maintain profits?

It will never happen, there is no way the governments could implement such a huge task when they are unable to even carry out the smallest of tasks correctly. It is just an excuse to charge petrol cars more and more and more..

I have seen programmes which follow the life cycle of a petrol and electric car and electric was more harmful to the polar bears in Alaska then my V8

Why is everyone up in arms over this? The proposal is only to stop the sale of NEW diesel or petrol cars from 2040. There are no proposals to ban diesel or petrol cars from our roads completely. Most will phase out in time when they head for the car graveyard, but the types of cars that are loved by enthusiasts will remain.

Until manufacturers have an incentive to design and build viable less polluting cars they're going to give it little more than passing interest. But when they know that they're only going to be able to sell their new products when they offer something that complies with regulations AND customers' needs, they'll pull their fingers out and come up with the goods.

The arguments, complaints and downright negativity being expressed now are doubtless in a similar vein to those that were voiced 120 years ago when the automotive industry was starting up. Bloody Luddites!

no stick me in an old expensive gas guzzling car any day of the week.

Ban diesels and electric cars...

Hate them both

I don't think I can survive in a world where I can buy an electric Lambo!!!

Makes me want to get hold of a nice 204 c63 even more now...can't wait to get hold of one...may just drive to London and do a donut right outside 10 Downing Street!!!

my old man is in his 70's, and still drives a V8. Granted he's lost his bottle a bit, but won't sell it. I'm trying to get him to line up next to me on a Vmax event. :dk:

Exactly what BEJ says.

Got room for more solar panels on my roof though. Wonder if I could short circuit them and produce my own electricity to charge "Torchy" my new electric car in 2040, oh hang on it will be a wheel chair by then.

Or my own private windmill in the back garden.

By 2040 there will be v8 wheelchairs John.

:bannana::bannana::bannana::bannana:

my old man is in his 70's, and still drives a V8. Granted he's lost his bottle a bit, but won't sell it. I'm trying to get him to line up next to me on a Vmax event. :dk:

Due to infirmity I am reduced to driving a 190bhp 8 speed auto, but by heck it is nearly as quick as my SLK was.
Even quicker are the aeroplanes that I now fly when I can afford to.
Not quite sure what I will be piloting in 2 years time when I get to the ripe young age of 80!

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

Until one can recharge an EV in the time it takes to refuel a V8 ....

I was listning to this on the news yesterday ,.Sily so and so . And he was then asked about what they are going to do with planes and the pollution they make .His answer was - well they only use 2% of fuel and its insignificant .Thats a big joke ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom