What is it like to be SERIOUSLY wealthy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mirrors pub chat tbh.
(I can just remember what they were like)
What ya avin Darrell? Or are you back on the wagon?

Because of what we wanted and didn’t want.

It had nothing to do with our parents influence, in fact, using drugs as a reference my parents didn’t even talk about the subject. I think it was because of watching Kristiana F at the movies. Our life was idyllic and although my mum had me when she was 21 she was very naive.

Me and my brother learnt from our surroundings. Scouts, school, college, peers, my dads cricket and golfing pals, his pipe fitters and welders were enormous influences on our lives and are where we picked up our life skills.

The first rental flat I bought was on advice from an old Irish steel erector working at Tobacco Dock. My first world travel experience was from hearing tales of debauchery from older lads in the pub.

Manners (🤣) from family and the rest is history.
Says it all I guess. There’s a wealth (pun on thread title intended) of difference between overall influence and specific guidance. My parents never told me to buy a Mercedes (or any other car come to that, because they knew nothing about them) but I’ve now had a few.

What my parents did was guide me in how to make choices, not what to choose. My father was an accountant and my mother a dressmaker, so certainly not role models in my decision to become an electronics engineer. Neither did they direct any of my siblings in their careers (pilot, banking, policeman, architect, law, food).

I too learnt from my dad’s cricket and golfing pals, people I’d never have known had it not been for my dad. I too learnt from my surroundings, school and suchlike - places my parents chose and guided me to.

Says it all I guess. There’s a wealth (pun on thread title intended) of difference between overall influence and specific guidance. My parents never told me to buy a Mercedes (or any other car come to that, because they knew nothing about them) but I’ve now had a few.

What my parents did was guide me in how to make choices, not what to choose. My father was an accountant and my mother a dressmaker, so certainly not role models in my decision to become an electronics engineer. Neither did they direct any of my siblings in their careers (pilot, banking, policeman, architect, law, food).

I too learnt from my dad’s cricket and golfing pals, people I’d never have known had it not been for my dad. I too learnt from my surroundings, school and suchlike - places my parents chose and guided me to.
I left that conversation ages ago.

Going back to the original question this thread poses i often wonder what the mindset is of the super wealthy who purchase cars from the likes of Mansory.
What is going through their heads, other than "look at me", when they spaff hundreds of thousands on carbon tat.

View attachment 106882Chip. Have a trip out the Middle East, Saudia, Dubai Qatar especially and you will see plenty of these hideous looking things. This is buying shit just because they are bored with normality. Mansory etc produce these monstrosities for the likes of these tasteless people. I have a few of these friends out there and anything that means your SLR/Lambo costs 3 times as much as normal means it’s excellent.

@Bobby Dazzler post about having £1 million to buy cars made me think

What must it be like to be seriously wealthy? To have so much money that it does not have any real meaning? What motivates them, makes them get up in the morning?
You probably need less than you would think but a whole lot more than money to be wealthy.

I remember a long time ago when my brother asked to borrow some money and he said that he “worked to live and not lived to work”. It made me re-evaluate my life because he was right; I spent so much time chasing money that I had little time to spend with my wife, kids and dogs and felt so much poorer losing that precious time with my family.

Since then I have been able to own my own time and say no to things I don’t want to do and to me that’s a real mark of wealth. There is no amount of money that makes it worthwhile to work with as*holes and I have felt so much richer ever since I cut ties with ass*holes. Realising that there are more important things than money frees me from the pressure of feeling that I’m not doing or achieving enough. Certainly being able to take care of my physical and mental health is of great benefit; just having some “me” time each day can build a wealth that compounds for the rest of my life. These are things that motivate me to get up in the morning.

Although I don’t take many holidays but when I have I often saw people sat on the beach, in the hotel or restaurants on their laptops or mobile phones taking work calls. That is not a rich life however much money they may have. Surely real wealth is about having the options you want that inspire or fill you with purpose and a meaning in life; not what society or anyone else expect or want you to have. The assumption that more money will make you richer or wealthier is something of a falsehood.

If it weren’t for that earlier encounter with my brother and self-re-evaluation I realise that I would have been a multi-millionaire by now but by choice am happy to offset all that with the greater wealth of living a meaningful life. ;)

That's fair enough and I would have done the same in the circumstances but there is is an alternative which is to live somewhere that siege mentality is not needed because of the absence of crime. I have lived in the same cul-de-sac of "executive houses" for 28 years and there has never been a single incidence of crime that I can recall. After the first few years I stopped setting the alarm and eventually pulled the fuse on it. The absence of a perceived threat brings me much better peace of mind than any amount of security measures. Even if I was to be burgled at some point the fact that I haven't worried about it for 28 years is priceless.

If one aspect of feeling wealthy is health then the absence of fear in your everyday life is another.
Thanks for your alternative suggestion. I am a farmer; you'd think living in the countryside that there would be an absence of crime, but that is wrong - secluded farms are targets. Moving farm is not an option. I do have a shotgun, a couple of rifles and a Ruger SR22 pistol but think the alternative security measures I took are more suited. Any other ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom