What is my handbrake for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You still , for the purposes of the driving test , have to use the hand/parking brake when coming to a halt , it is a fault not to . This is regardless of manual/automatic .

I used to fail people on advanced tests if they failed to use it . If you wanted a class 1 pass you even had to apply it between stopping and selecting reverse , before parking . These were the guidelines .

It is also illegal to leave the vehicle without ‘setting the brake’ .
😂

Wow, there’s really nothing you’re not an expert on.

So at the end of test, you just stopped, and used to footbrake until you switched off the engine, got out, locked the car and walked away?

When did you take your test - 1920???

Might be worth you reading the Highway Code, specifically rule 123. You know, just in case you have to take a retest in your dotage...

Reactions: 219
"Using the handbrake incorrectly

As the safest thing to do, candidates often feel they’ll be penalised for not using the handbrake at every opportunity during their test. This isn’t always the case.

While the handbrake should always be applied while parked – and putting the handbrake on in most situations will make the car more secure when stopped – you won’t fail for leaving it off, providing it doesn’t affect the vehicle and cause it to roll backwards or forwards."

Point #5 here-

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
So at the end of test, you just stopped, and used to footbrake until you switched off the engine, got out, locked the car and walked away?

When did you take your test - 1920???

Might be worth you reading the Highway Code, specifically rule 123. You know, just in case you have to take a retest in your dotage...

If you think engaging your parking brake more often makes you a superior driver then well done... that’s great.

I’ve witnessed plenty of driving tests pre-covid (as a passenger) where friends and family who wished to take the exam in an auto have used my car. At the end of the test they simply stop, put the car into park and the examiner goes through the results. Not once has the examiner mentioned them not applying the foot-brake at the end. Had it been a manual left in neutral and it started moving forwards then yes I’m sure it would be mentioned...

I’m sure you’ll now go on to say that you know better than the various driver examiners, or that you’re a senior driving examiner yourself. Which is also great.

Last edited:
Not sure why it matters when I did my test, but as you brought it I’m 99% sure I did my test more recently than you... being in my 20’s... 🤣

If you think engaging your parking brake more often makes you a superior driver then well done... that’s great.

I’ve witnessed plenty of driving tests pre-covid (as a passenger) where friends and family who wished to take the exam in an auto have used my car. At the end of the test they simply stop, put the car into park and the examiner goes through the results. Not once has the examiner mentioned them not applying the foot-brake at the end. Had it been a manual left in neutral and it started moving forwards then yes I’m sure it would be mentioned...

I’m sure you’ll now go on to say that you know better than the various driver examiners, or that you’re a senior driving examiner yourself. Which is also great.

none of that - I’m just aware of the Highway Code rules, and what I was taught for my standard and IAM tests. Other IAM instructors here have said the same..

when you have sat in on a test, the examinee has left the engine idling unnecessarily at the r d while the result is scored and still passed?

and no I don’t always follow the dictate but that is a personal choice based on the circumstances, much like exceeding a speed limit.

in summary - use it or lose it.. your choice...

"Using the handbrake incorrectly

As the safest thing to do, candidates often feel they’ll be penalised for not using the handbrake at every opportunity during their test. This isn’t always the case.

While the handbrake should always be applied while parked – and putting the handbrake on in most situations will make the car more secure when stopped – you won’t fail for leaving it off, providing it doesn’t affect the vehicle and cause it to roll backwards or forwards."

Point #5 here-

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
It is a minor fault , do it once or twice ( on the DOT test ) and you might get away with it , do it consistently through the test and you will fail . Simple as . Do it on an advanced test , you certainly won’t get a Class One , and will probably fail .

None of those references stated the qualifications of the authors , so merely opinion .

The standards set at Cardington are very high .

That is because the law does not specify which device is used , merely that you must ‘set the brake’ . As long as the car is secured against rolling away , it does not matter whether it is a frictional brake or a mechanical lock on the transmission . If the candidate did neither they would not only fail but they would be guilty of an offence .

Well , I HAVE been to the examiners training centre at Cardington , as a guest of two friends who are qualified DVSA examiners , where , before they get to conduct examinations , candidates must first attain a standard very similar to police advanced level , which I was trained to , and then beyond to instructor level so that I could train others to become IAM and LSD ( now ROSPA ) instructors , and am still current as an emergency response driver with the Fire Service , so I am very familiar with the standard required .

Some of the things I see novice driving school cars doing on the roads truly make me wonder how the ‘instructors’ ever passed their basic test .

none of that - I’m just aware of the Highway Code rules, and what I was taught for my standard and IAM tests. Other IAM instructors here have said the same..

when you have sat in on a test, the examinee has left the engine idling unnecessarily at the r d while the result is scored and still passed?

and no I don’t always follow the dictate but that is a personal choice based on the circumstances, much like exceeding a speed limit.

in summary - use it or lose it.. your choice...
Spot on , I don’t routinely apply the brake every time either , particularly if I know I’m moving off after that one car on the roundabout , but more usually I will time my approach to keep moving smoothly , without needing to stop .

As soon as I’m stopped for more than a few seconds , the brake would be applied , especially after dark with someone stopped behind ; the car may remain in drive , against which a well adjusted handbrake will comfortably hold the car . If the stop is going to be more than a minute or so then neutral would be selected .

It can be advantageous too , on front wheel drive cars ( Alfa Romeos excepted : handbrake on front wheels ) to apply handbrake and engage either park or low gear , on slippery surfaces , since that locks all four wheels and holds the car more securely.

Consistent failure to use the parking brake is poor and sloppy driving .

When am I reading these posts, why do I hear in my head a nasal whiney voice?

Op, the parking brake these days on modern cars is just something that the mot tester has to tick off on a box to show its working, if it doesn't it fails. Thats it.

Which auto transmission has a plastic pawl mechanism for park? I'm happy to be educated. So what is the "park" position for then, if it's not to hold the vehicle stationary when parked? A manual transmission doesn't have this feature? I am in the camp of just selecting "P" on both my car & van when parked up. I will use the handbrake as a back up should I park on a hill of any gradient. And I do use the handbrake occasionally anyway to stop it seizing as I'm aware of it needing to work for the MOT. The amount of cars I see pull up in American movies / TV programmes & the car lurches back or forward a couple of inches as they let off the brake because they've left it just in "Park" means I'm not on my own 😉

Which auto transmission has a plastic pawl mechanism for park? I'm happy to be educated. So what is the "park" position for then, if it's not to hold the vehicle stationary when parked? A manual transmission doesn't have this feature? I am in the camp of just selecting "P" on both my car & van when parked up. I will use the handbrake as a back up should I park on a hill of any gradient. And I do use the handbrake occasionally anyway to stop it seizing as I'm aware of it needing to work for the MOT. The amount of cars I see pull up in American movies / TV programmes & the car lurches back or forward a couple of inches as they let off the brake because they've left it just in "Park" means I'm not on my own 😉
I've never known one to fail, it's just scaremongering.

Don't worry - the voices in my head sound the same....;)

Op, the parking brake these days on modern cars is just something that the mot tester has to tick off on a box to show its working, if it doesn't it fails. Thats it.
Well , it does have to meet a measured standard of efficiency on each wheel ; there used to be a rule about the number of ‘clicks’ on the ratchet were permitted before travel was excessive , but that I believe was done away with ; but it still must be able to hold the car on a hill or stop it in an emergency.

Strictly , a manual transmission does have that feature ; if on a gradient you select whichever lowest gear would cause the vehicle to move uphill : this is the ‘parking gear’ 😊

Strictly , a manual transmission does have that feature ; if on a gradient you select whichever lowest gear would cause the vehicle to move uphill : this is the ‘parking gear’ 😊
Unless it was a rare two stroke motor, in which case it wouldn't have enough compression to hold it.
In theory it could jump start itself then drive forwards.

So there isn't really a safe 'parking gear' in fact it would be dangerous.

But I think most vehicles have moved on slightly since the 80s versions.

As the op stated, he didn't know he had a "parking brake" as these days they are a small inset button, usual hidden away and operate automatically, not one of those big olde worlde broom shanks stuck between the two front seats that some people have got the topic confused with.

electronic buttons don't have measurable clicks :rolleyes:
I don’t know if there is a ratchet mechanism in electrically actuated parking brakes , or some other method of holding the brake on once set , but regardless of that the brake must still hold fast so that the car will not run away .

As I stated above , there USED to be a standard whereby the handbrake lever should not travel more than three or four audible clicks on the ratchet ; that requirement was done away with some years ago .

It is also extremely bad practice, causing wear to the teeth , and the ratchet pawl , to simply pull the lever up without pressing the button , twisting the lever , or in the case of foot pedals , holding the release lever until sufficient tension is felt in the cable , then letting the pawl in .

To do so is one of the hallmarks of a good driver who extends mechanical sympathy to the car , and who will be rewarded by extended service and reliability . Ratcheting on a handbrake on an advanced test would see a candidate marked down because to do that routinely would cause the ratchet to fail eventually .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom