What is my handbrake for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just stick a brick under the wheel and be done with it ...

It would have to be the correct type of brick, relating to eu standard 76548 of the concrete induction method to get full and proper longevity of the brick.
In fact its official term would be parking block.
Then only if returned to the left rear boot compartment to compensate for front right battery, otherwise your tyre wear would be uneven, unless you aligned your tracking to suit right rear block placement.

Unless it was a rare two stroke motor, in which case it wouldn't have enough compression to hold it.
In theory it could jump start itself then drive forwards.

So there isn't really a safe 'parking gear' in fact it would be dangerous.

But I think most vehicles have moved on slightly since the 80s versions.

As the op stated, he didn't know he had a "parking brake" as these days they are a small inset button, usual hidden away and operate automatically, not one of those big olde worlde broom shanks stuck between the two front seats that some people have got the topic confused with.

Unless the ignition was left on , the vehicle would not jump start and the compression would offer some retardation .

I doubt there were many two stroke vehicles by the 1980s , maybe the Trabant , but they were very light so wouldn’t take much holding .

The method of actuation does not alter the fact that the parking brake is there , and still required by law .

There is a lot to be said for simple mechanical devices which are more intuitive for the user and certainly much more reliable .

It would have to be the correct type of brick, relating to eu standard 76548 of the concrete induction method to get full and proper longevity of the brick.
In fact its official term would be parking block.
Then only if returned to the left rear boot compartment to compensate for front right battery, otherwise your tyre wear would be uneven, unless you aligned your tracking to suit right rear block placement.
You can actually get purpose designed wheel chocs , with teeth on the underside to bite into the ground and a curved upper side to avoid indenting the tyre . I have a couple of sets , one for the caravan and one for working on cars .

You can actually get purpose designed wheel chocs , with teeth on the underside to bite into the ground and a curved upper side to avoid indenting the tyre . I have a couple of sets , one for the caravan and one for working on cars .
Of course you do...
That anorak fits you really well ;)

Is that a brick cast by a single person, with a name plaque?
AMG would only use briques , cast from special clay dug from a specific field in southern Germany, and baked at a very specific temperature.

So the question would be, what is the purpose of "P" in an automatic transmission, why do they give you that choice? Why not do away with "P" & give you just "N", same as a manual transmission, where you would then have to apply the handbrake?

So the question would be, what is the purpose of "P" in an automatic transmission, why do they give you that choice? Why not do away with "P" & give you just "N", same as a manual transmission, where you would then have to apply the handbrake?

if you ever have handbrake failure in an auto you've no way of stopping it rolling away , with a manual you can leave it in gear .

Reactions: 219
Lynne Truss attributes an early form of the modern question mark in western language to Alcuin of York.[2] Truss describes the punctus interrogativus of the late 8th century as, "a lightning flash, striking from right to left".[3] (The punctuation system of Aelius Donatus, current through the Early Middle Ages, used only simple dots at various heights.)

This earliest question mark was a decoration of one of these dots, with the "lightning flash" perhaps meant to denote intonation, and perhaps associated with early musical notation like neumes. Another possibility is that it was originally a tilde or titlo, as in ·~, one of many wavy or more or less slanted marks used in medieval texts for denoting things such as abbreviations, which would later become various diacritics or ligatures.[4][5] Over the next three centuries this pitch-defining element (if it ever existed) seems to have been forgotten, so that the Alcuinesque stroke-over-dot sign (with the stroke sometimes slightly curved) is often seen indifferently at the end of clauses, whether they embody a question or not.

In the early 13th century, when the growth of communities of scholars (universities) in Paris and other major cities led to an expansion and streamlining of the book-production trade,[6] punctuation was rationalized by assigning Alcuin's stroke-over-dot specifically to interrogatives; by this time the stroke was more sharply curved and can easily be recognized as the modern question mark.

One possible origin of the question mark from Latin
It has also been suggested that the glyph derives from the Latin quaestiō meaning "question", which was abbreviated during the Middle Ages to qo.[7] The lowercase q was written above the lowercase o, and this mark was transformed into the modern symbol.

According to a 2011 discovery by Chip Coakley, a Cambridge University manuscript expert, Syriac was the first language to use a punctuation mark to indicate an interrogative sentence. The Syriac question mark, known as the zagwa elaya ("upper pair") has the form of a vertical double dot over a word.[8]

I have a few ?? In my garage for the very very very unlikely occasion that I can't reply to a post on the Internet with totally pointless and irrelevant material that makes me sound superior and everyone else sound stupid, even though what I post is widely known through the world.

when you have sat in on a test, the examinee has left the engine idling unnecessarily at the r d while the result is scored and still passed?
No - the engine was switched off and vehicle in park. No parking brake applied though.

I have a few ?? In my garage for the very very very unlikely occasion that I can't reply to a post on the Internet with totally pointless and irrelevant material that makes me sound superior and everyone else sound stupid, even though what I post is widely known through the world.

QED....

If you have ever had a pawl break inside the gearbox,, through using the park on your selector instead of the service brake you would then know why its not to be used for a brake . If it gets damaged [pawl] its a gear box out job to replace it on some mbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom