What is my handbrake for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for your pointless observation.

I was responding to your confusing & incorrect response below - he made a statement and then asked a question (the question mark at the end of the last sentence means he is asking a question not the sentence (you for some reason answered) with the full stop). You answered the statement not the question🥺. Well done!

View attachment 100568

The handbrake won't release if he selects drive and presses the throttle if its a manual release type . The park will though. Because you'd have to either move the lever by the left leg if you put it into park or press up or down if its a steering wheel stalk.

The handbrake will if its the electric type ,not the manual release type.

I know what I mean . Maybe just didn't type it clearly enough ... for that I'm guilty and apologise.... theres a few variables and I dont know if the op has a stalk type gear selector or 1 by his left leg. Or what kind of handbrake he has.

The handbrake won't release if he selects drive and presses the throttle if its a manual release type . The park will though. Because you'd have to either move the lever by the left leg if you put it into park or press up or down if its a steering wheel stalk.

The handbrake will if its the electric type ,not the manual release type.

I know what I mean . Maybe just didn't type it clearly enough ... for that I'm guilty and apologise.... theres a few variables and I dont know if the op has a stalk type gear selector or 1 by his left leg. Or what kind of handbrake he has.
Fair enough! Both of us advising with incomplete data. Rookie error! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like there are various versions of handbrakes in auto cars.
My car has the gear selector on the rh stalk with the handbrake pull being a silver pull thing down by my right leg. No idea if it is manual or electric, if I was to hazard a guess I’d say electric.

Well on the S and E class cars,if you do not use the electric hand brake,it will after a time seize up and is a fail on the MOT.

What is my handbrake for ?

For your boyfriend to sit on.

Well on the S and E class cars,if you do not use the electric hand brake,it will after a time seize up and is a fail on the MOT.
That can be true of the mechanical ones too .

Just read in my handbook that Park applies the electric handbrake.
Maybe the plastic gear jammer is a thing of yesteryear ?

Have you got 3 pedals at your feet or 2 ?

Reactions: 219
The parking pawl is not plastic , nor is it a ‘gear jammer’ : it is a mechanical locking device .

Seems like there are various versions of handbrakes in auto cars.
My car has the gear selector on the rh stalk with the handbrake pull being a silver pull thing down by my right leg. No idea if it is manual or electric, if I was to hazard a guess I’d say electric.
‘A silver pull thing down by my right leg’ sounds like an umbrella handbrake ; taking this along with a column mounted gear lever , it sounds as though Mercedes are reverting to the setup of the 1950s and 1960s .

Is that one your last century tech or the current models?
The 722.6 5G Tronic was used in numerous models , including W211 , Jaguar , Jeep , Ssangyong , and Maybach up to 2013 .

I very much doubt that many will have replaced such a crucial component with a piece of plastic .

If MB did it , it is a further example of cost cutting .

The 722.6 5G Tronic was used in numerous models , including W211 , Jaguar , Jeep , Ssangyong , and Maybach up to 2013 .

I very much doubt that many will have replaced such a crucial component with a piece of plastic .

If MB did it , it is a further example of cost cutting .

And would you put it pass them that they would not cost cut? ;)

Reactions: 219

I have a 2012 SLK55. It also says this and automatically releases when taken out of Park, so I never use the push/pull handle to the right for the handbrake.

In a friend's 2016 GLA220d, it has a stalk gear lever and the same push/pull handle for the handbrake. In her car, you have to manually apply and release the handbrake.

‘A silver pull thing down by my right leg’ sounds like an umbrella handbrake ; taking this along with a column mounted gear lever , it sounds as though Mercedes are reverting to the setup of the 1950s and 1960s .
In your dreams.

And would you put it pass them that they would not cost cut? ;)
They have done immeasurable damage to their reputation by cutting costs in recent years .

That the pawl , if indeed plastic , in GreenmanSLK’s father's car failed speaks for itself , that an economy has been made unadvisedly ; just as it was when they started using plastic thermostat housings back on the M102 and eventually went back to using metal ones .

With the substandard gearbox pawl , I would expect an updated one , made from hardened steel , to come out as a replacement; failing that it would be simple enough to get a machine shop to turn one up .

Such happenings are why I refuse to buy newer cars and prefer to stick to ones where I can rely on the integrity of their engineering .

They have done immeasurable damage to their reputation by cutting costs in recent years .

That the pawl , if indeed plastic , in GreenmanSLK’s father's car failed speaks for itself , that an economy has been made unadvisedly ; just as it was when they started using plastic thermostat housings back on the M102 and eventually went back to using metal ones .

With the substandard gearbox pawl , I would expect an updated one , made from hardened steel , to come out as a replacement; failing that it would be simple enough to get a machine shop to turn one up .

Such happenings are why I refuse to buy newer cars and prefer to stick to ones where I can rely on the integrity of their engineering .

Yes me too, just like white goods, I find myself keeping my old stuff for longer and just getting stuff repaired because you know the parts are engineered to be repairable as opposed to the throw-away society which everything nowadays is manufactured to.

Well, credit to Mercedes if they've changed a plastic housing back to a metal one because it melts. VW family continue to use plastic water impellers which melt - I guess they see this as after-service income stream: save money on parts at manufacture, make more money downstream on repairs, it's a fair business model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom