What is pre wired on an ML inspiration ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gIzzE

MB Enthusiast
Car
65 plate BMW F11 Touring (165k miles) + Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (140k miles) Doing my bit to be green.
I have a 2003 ML, it has comand and telephone fitted but I wanted to add the tv tuner, more so for the av inputs then the tv itself.
The guy in the MB dealership thought that the aerial was already installed on the inspiration but the harness would have to be added, I wish it were the other way round.
To be honest though I can't see why they would add the aerial unless it was the same aerial as the phone or radio uses.

Does anyone know what is already installed ??

Also my car comannd does not allow sms messaging on screen, can I get the dealer to activate this ??

gIzzE said:
I have a 2003 ML, it has comand and telephone fitted but I wanted to add the tv tuner, more so for the av inputs then the tv itself.
The guy in the MB dealership thought that the aerial was already installed on the inspiration but the harness would have to be added, I wish it were the other way round.
To be honest though I can't see why they would add the aerial unless it was the same aerial as the phone or radio uses.

Does anyone know what is already installed ??

Also my car comannd does not allow sms messaging on screen, can I get the dealer to activate this ??

I'm not sure about the inspiration. I have a 2001 ML and as far as I know, TV was never an official option on the ML. If Tv aerials have been fitted , the dealer should be able to tel you from the options info stored on the Mb computer - they just need your chassis number. the partsd dept would be best . They could also tell you where the Tv aerials were actually fitted and whether any amps were also fitted.

I fitted Tv to my ML - the tuner is under the passenger seat and the aerials are 2 sets of bumper mount Hirschmann phone arials (1 front & 1 rear )- they work very well.

SMS text messaging just needs a dealer reprogram of comand to activate that feature. 10 min job. they should do it for free if you just bought the car from them.

Thanks Steve,

I went into the dealer and the parts dept. said that it was shown as fitted, but he didnt know where as he also thought that it wasn't an option on the ML.

will do a little more digging.

cheers

Guy

Hi.
1) TV isnt an option on the ML. AMG will sell you a kit to fit it, normally involves removing the stowage drawer. Or you can buy a wiring harness from www.audiocomp.info and buy the tv tuner from ebay (or a dealership), and go with the aerials that Steve suggests
2) The dealer needs to go into the COMAND "coding" menu and tell it there is an extended phone, then the SMS menu will work
3) The GPS aerial cabling and GSM wiring is mostly there on all UK ML (my 2002 and later), but you have the options fitted, so you are using all of that wiring

Cheers
Richard

NB, there is also wiring for voice-control (linguatronic), again AMG will sell you the parts, or the dealer can find the switch (lever etc) on their parts computer, and the VCS module and you can make up a harness (but getting the pins for the plugs is impossible), it fits along with the rest of the phone control units under the right hand front seat (you can see this from the rear of the seat with a torch)

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom