What is the biggest Mercedes event / Rally of the year?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeInWimbledon

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
(Ex S211 E500, W212 E500, C216, S212 E500, W211 E500 5.5, W221 S500, S211 E500, SL500, S500, E55)
6492835.jpg

What's the biggest Mercedes Rally / event of the year?

I spent Saturday at the extraordinary Rolls Royce Enthusiasts rally at Burleigh - a huge collection of exceptional, and quite cheap, kit, and then was surprised to see several hundred modern Mercedes at the Flywheel meet at Bicester. (More SL's than you could shake a stick at)

Which raises the question: what is, or is there, a big "National" Mercedes meet of any description?

PCS - Benz on the Green charity event perhaps. limited to 100 cars

He saw hundreds of Mercedes cars at some RR event and you give him 'the biggest MB event limited to 100 cars'???

C!

What have you done to your CLK???

C!!!

:D

He saw hundreds of Mercedes cars at some RR event and you give him 'the biggest MB event limited to 100 cars'???

C!

What have you done to your CLK???

C!!!

Did you have another event to suggest Alex? and if C is meant to be a swear word I might suggest you tone the language a little on a public forum!!! :crazy:

There's a Merc 4WD crabbing event at Whitby each year.

..and don't forget the annual Mercedes rust-a-thon get together in a Bedford carpark

...and then was surprised to see several hundred modern Mercedes at the Flywheel meet at Bicester. (More SL's than you could shake a stick at)
I was at the Flywheel event yesterday and was astonished at the number of SL's on display. There must have been upwards of 100!

I think Bigun recently went to the National Concours of the MB Club (other one) which was quite large, if full of OCD concours people with special mats for their car wheels.

I was rather put off the idea of seeing several hundred SLs in one place. All old cars start merging into one after a while and I'm not really sure of the wisdom of signalling to the world quite how ubiquitous your car is. I recall going to a show which I had been invited to by the Citroen SM section and thought nine was too many in one place. Recently I went to a huge Jaguar Festival in Windsor which had over 1200 cars lined up on the Long Walk there. I think after my 10th E type I lost any interest.

Did you have another event to suggest Alex?

I could only suggest one with the smallest MB presence but it is cancelled now for the rest of the year so there. :rolleyes:

and if C is meant to be a swear word I might suggest you tone the language a little on a public forum!!! :crazy:

Me? Swear word? How Could you!

I was at the Flywheel event yesterday and was astonished at the number of SL's on display. There must have been upwards of 100!

You might have said hello. We were the second 107 on the first row. :(

Is there a MB racing day (like the AMOC race series)? - Those always seem to attract a lot of cars; even though most aren't racing.

I went to a friends house warming and me managed three.

It was the official owners' club National and SL weekend there. The club organises events throughout the year, and included in those are National days for specific models, eg 124. All other models are welcome, but the designated models are display parked. The SL day regularly attracts 200+ SLs, with all generations in attendance, plus any other models whose owners fancy attending, at some great locations too.

Flywheel Bicester - car parks....

With both events this weekend, there were as many interesting cars in the "ordinary" car parks as on display.

We knew we were in curious company when we randomly parked in the Bicester car park in a CL500, and found there were four other W215's all within a few yards of one another.

It was the official owners' club National and SL weekend there. The club organises events throughout the year, and included in those are National days for specific models, eg 124. All other models are welcome, but the designated models are display parked. The SL day regularly attracts 200+ SLs, with all generations in attendance, plus any other models whose owners fancy attending, at some great locations too.

There were almost no Pagodas there Mike, maybe three, and not one Gullwing or Roadster but lots of 230 and 231's. Car of the show went to an almost new SLK :crazy:
My suspicion is that it's becoming less of an SL day and more of a general model show. Since when have SLK's been SL's...they have their own dedicated 'Day'.
Which is a shame as it's very well organised and ties in well with the Sat night dinner dance which was a hoot.

Last edited:
Curious mix of cars at Flywheel

There were almost no Pagodas there Mike, maybe three, and not one Gullwing or Roadster but lots of 230 and 231's. Car of the show went to an almost new SLK :crazy:

Could get shot down for this but....

I did think it was a curious mix of Mercs there, which is why I asked the original question. So many SL's, but hardly any exotica (SLS / SLR / Brabus) or older classics (Ponton / Grosser etc). Now that I know it was the official "SL day," I guess it makes sense.

Can see the Economic sense of hosting it there, but it's strange bedfellows with all those planes, motorbikes & veteran cars.

The Rolls Royce continues to make no "economic" sense. Huge show, lots of exotic, cherished, kit, yet free to attend with cheap catering. All you have to do is drive to Stamford.

Interesting. Was this event posted on the forum if not then perhaps someone could do so next year as it sounds like it could be a good one to go to!

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Could get shot down for this but....

I did think it was a curious mix of Mercs there, which is why I asked the original question. So many SL's, but hardly any exotica (SLS / SLR / Brabus) or older classics (Ponton / Grosser etc). Now that I know it was the official "SL day," I guess it makes sense.

Can see the Economic sense of hosting it there, but it's strange bedfellows with all those planes, motorbikes & veteran cars.

The Rolls Royce continues to make no "economic" sense. Huge show, lots of exotic, cherished, kit, yet free to attend with cheap catering. All you have to do is drive to Stamford.

The SL/National day was also held at the same event last year (normally a stand alone event in itself), and repeated partly due to "popularity" along with other reasoning, which I think may explain the lack of some models this year, as Derek states, and a lot of these events clash with others.

I'm not into concours, and now prefer mixed events, rather than Mercedes only, for the same reason Charles mentions. I have been to some great locations for the SL day, though - Woburn, Blenheim Palace, Castle Howard and Sandringham House to name a few, and there are always 200+ SLs.

That's twice I've missed you this year, Derek, as I had planned on going to Bicester, but I've got a bit going on at the moment.

Maybe next year Mike. It will also be at a different venue although where is not yet decided. Castle Howard was a good choice iirc but it depends for us on other holidays clashing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom