What is the correct finish for C215 W215 AMG III wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SussexCL

Car
Mercedes CL600
I am on the hunt for a set of staggered 19" AMG wheels for my 2000 CL600, and have tracked several pairs down.

Ideally I will have them refurbed, but have seen them in multiple finishes. Which is correct?

- Powder Coated Silver
- Powder Coated Silver with a highly polished (diamond cut?) rim flange

I am also keen to learn what the correct tyre fitments for these wheels are?

Finally, are the laurel leaf "Mercedes-Benz" centre caps appropriate for these wheels, or just the chrome star centre caps?

Many thanks,

Tom

technically they should be powder coated in mercedes oem silver (I think its called mercedes bright silver) with a machine polished rim then laquered. However I would have the whole wheel powder coated and forget the machining on the rim as the slightest mark and the laquer wuill start peeling and look awful.

As Above ^ Plain Silver Centre Caps :)

Before I had mine refurbished they did not have a polished rim. I had them powder coated in OEM colour. Though, I had the barrels painted black as to not show the brake dust.

If you want Laurel leafs, then that's fine.

Mercedes CL Class Coupe Alloys (C215) - Alloy Wheels Direct

I see a high sheen finish on the staggered ones.

So Laurel leafs are incorrect, are they from a more modern wheel? Apologies, am new to Mercedes of this era.

The black barrels is a clever idea, did it work well? I do always love the deep silver finish within a wheel, but it's a right hassle to keep in good condition!

technically they should be powder coated in mercedes oem silver (I think its called mercedes bright silver) with a machine polished rim then laquered. However I would have the whole wheel powder coated and forget the machining on the rim as the slightest mark and the laquer wuill start peeling and look awful.

Super, thank you. I thought that might be the case. I had seen some like this, they looked absolutely superb, and the polished flange really shows off the dish of the wheels. Flawed perhaps, but I had similar (M-Paralell) wheels on the mint BMW E39 that preceeded this, so will probably go down the original finish route. Thank you

So Laurel leafs are incorrect, are they from a more modern wheel? Apologies, am new to Mercedes of this era.

The black barrels is a clever idea, did it work well? I do always love the deep silver finish within a wheel, but it's a right hassle to keep in good condition!
The black barrels work well. I tried to keep the barrels clean because there was enough room to reach inside...but I'd always miss a bit...then the weather got cold and I couldn't be bothered.

The laurel leafs IMO are personal choice. I don't have them...but might get them.

The black barrels work well. I tried to keep the barrels clean because there was enough room to reach inside...but I'd always miss a bit...then the weather got cold and I couldn't be bothered.

Cold hands, sharp edges, skinned knuckles. I know the feeling well.

I use a wire wheel brush to clean the inner rims . Works well

I use a wire wheel brush to clean the inner rims . Works well
Good tip, I could probably find a product that works. I am not a "detailer" kind of person, but I wonder whether having a ceramic coating applied to the wheels once refurbished will make them much easier to keep 100%?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom