What is the important spec for a new E class estate?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bircham

Car
A160 cdi autotronic E220CDi Executive 7G Estate
Hi,
I am looking for a new/nearly new E class estate. I was looking at the E220cdi Executive SE auto (7G tronic, full leather, heated seats, avantgarde wheels/suspension, navi 50, etc but no xenon headlights). It is a great deal for a brand new car and is very tempting.
However, I have seen lots of nearly new Sport models and only 1 avantgarde. Are Sports much more popular? Am I better going for a Sport over the executive SE? I think that the xenon headlights might be something that I would regret not having every time I drive at night. The other spec concern is whether I should consider a nearly new sport without sat nav of either sort. Is Comand absolutely essential for resale value? There is a lovely 60 plate sport for sale at our local dealership for £25k but it doesn't have Comand. Otherwise I am looking at £30k plus for a car with Comand or a brand new Executive SE.
Sorry about the long first posting but I am on a tight budegt so have to think carefully about it.
Wife and I test drove a Sport 250cdi (I would be looking at a 220cdi I think) and thought it was great, but perhaps the Sport suspension was a little firm.
Any thoughts would be really appreciated. :D

Jon

The sports are quite soft on the 212. I'd dread to think what an SE, AG or elegance would be like.

I'd go for sport minus comand, but others here may say differently.

For me, the must haves on an E-Class are;
1. COMAND.
2. Heated memory seats.
3. Parking Sensors.
4. Xenons.
5. Harmon Kardon sound.

Go for the Sport spec for better residuals, the 250 CDi engine gives the best of both worlds; economy & power.

Xenons, seat heating and parking sensors are IIRC standard on a 212 AG onwards.

I'd say your "must haves" equate to a higher spec than average although all are nice.

Mind would be a sun roof and privacy glass in place of COMAND.

A used car with your must haves will cost more to buy, but may be worth more. New, you'll never get all that money back, but they are nice to have.

It's funny how many people seem to worry more how to spec a car for the time that they sell it, rather than the period they will own it for!

Surely the question is "do I want Command" etc.

Many mags have studied the effect of options on resale values and in almost all cases you pay more for the option at time of purchase than you ever get back on resale. So why worry? This logic applies to new cars of course. With old cars it does work a bit different but surely choosing options on the basis of resale value is still a bit odd?

Thanks for the quick replies,
It would great if I could go for a sport with comand cheaply (as always!). Is comand something that will be really needed come resale time?
Jon

"I am on a tight budegt so have to think carefully about it" whether to spend £25K or £30. That did make me laugh. Very Merc forum.

The Sport spec with nothing added gives you everything you need in that car, even heated seats are standard.

Personally I don't see the fuss about COMAND.

E250cdi Sport Auto is a great spec.

Our C220 has the Becker Map pilot, our previous ML300 had full COMAND, which I don't miss in the slightest.

Drive the Deal are currently pricing a brand new factory order E estate (no options included in these figures) as follows:-

E250 cdi Sport Auto Estate - £32,627.80 OTR

E220 cdi Sport Auto Estate - £31,218.40 OTR

E350 cdi Sport Auto Estate - £32,841.30 OTR

All come with metallic paint free.

These prices are real and available, my father in law bought an E class through them last November.

The Executive SE is a great spec car, I was impressed when I came across it.

Personally I'd want COMAND and would suggest that it's essential on something like an E Class. I assume you're buying as opposed to leasing?

As you say the only other desirable would be Xenon, for a higher spec I'd want the tinted rear windows and a sunroof too.

I reckon the Avantgarde suspension is a good compromise on the suspension front and trim [ as do quite a lot of journos] When looking at a car's spec remember some things are "retrofit" e.g. does the latest E class come prewired for the Becker nav system like the C class? Command is a possible retrofit I think ----however things like colour,trim, suspension are realistically what you are stuck with. In terms of " Toys" buyers and the trade look for cars over a "reasonable " spec threshold [ poverty spec cars are difficult to sell] However loaded cars are attractive and may help sales but this is not always reflected in an increased selling price as has been said

Executive SE is a bargain .. it's essentially Avantgarde but missing only the Intelligent Light System, which unfortunately cannot be added

Unless folk do a lot of journeys to unfamiliar places what does COMAND offer? Audio 20 comes with aux or iPod in and Bluetooth.

Sport spec gives nice black headlining, better wheels, steering and suspension, better lighting and seat heaters.

Thanks for the thoughts. The navi 20 looks interesting I have to say. The system can be fitted to the e class as far a I know. I suppose that if I eve felt a need for sat nav them it would be a choice.
Jon

Executive SE is a bargain .. it's essentially Avantgarde but missing only the Intelligent Light System, which unfortunately cannot be added

+1, also has the very neat looking twin angular exhausts like the E350 CDI (yes on the E220!)

If you drive lots on unlit roads at night you will really regret going for the Executive SE as the ILS makes such a huge difference.

Spec-wise COMAND makes the car more attractive when you sell it, but it will depreciate at least as fast as the rest of the car so the real question is do you want COMAND in the car while you own it. Personally I think it's a nice option to have (I took it on my car) but it can be hard to justify the £'s. As for other options, forget about resale and think about what will make the car nicer for you while you own it then spend your budget on those things.

The Sport is much more common than the Avantgarde, but on the UK's carp roads the latter gives a much better handling / ride compromise than the former. If you want a car with precise turn-in and razor-sharp responses then you shouldn't be looking at an E-Class anyway, so you may as well save a little on the purchase price and take the improved comfort of the Avantgarde if you and your wife felt the Sport was a bit on the firm side. The AG will be cheaper on tyres than the Sport too, if costs are important to you. Finally, you can choose what colour you have for the interior as a no-cost option on the Avantgarde; on the Sport you're stuck with black unless you open your wallet.

Agree that ILS is indispensable for night driving.

I've also found that the reversing camera is a good addition for me, but that's dependent on a certain level of COMAND.

A-AvantGarde said:
+1, also has the very neat looking twin angular exhausts like the E350 CDI (yes on the E220!)

No peashooters. Shame. A new breed of aspirational hire car pilot will be born.

Expect to see drones of exec SE cars driving inches apart on the outside lane of a motorway

After looking at many different used car prices I think I will go for a new executive se estate. The fact that it has the 7 g tronic and nav50 fitted means that it is a good deal. The sport that I tested was a tad firm for my liking as well. All I have to do now is decide what colour. I am swithering between palladium and indium - I defo don't want iridium or black which seem to be the default colours for the w212.
Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom