What is the lifespan of a kompressor ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

big x

MB Enthusiast
These cars are getting bargin cheap..considering the power on tap.Ok the spec is not the best but...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9855&item=4637002427

Do Kompressors in general last longer than turbo's or do they need expensive rebuilds ?

(The car above was bought by our German friend Koolmann who exports them to Africa.
Interestingly he is now hoovering up the more complex stuff like high mileage early 90's S500's
for around the £1500 mark. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9855&item=4647523837
In the past it was mainly W124 diesels that went to Africa but as I've said before we have the cheapest older MB and BMW used cars in the World.)

adam

Last edited:
Whitefield told me (this was back in 2001 I think) that they had only ever replaced two kompressor units, one was DOA on a brand new car and one was on a C230k which had been thrashed (manual transmission).

The kompressors are pretty hardy and the engines themselves are reinforced to use the extra power.

Not that I'm in any way biased or anything.

I have year 2000 c230k 140,000 miles, still as sweet as a nut, still impresssed with the performance every time I drive it. 140mph is easy.

On the W211 CDIs it is quite common for the turbos to fail and I heve not heard of many Kompressors failing yet on petrol engined cars...

big x said:
In the past it was mainly W124 diesels that went to Africa but as I've said before we have the cheapest older MB and BMW used cars in the World.)

One of my friends on another forum who is based in SA has commented on the price differentials .

A 190E which may be worth a few hundred here in the UK can command the equivalent of several grand out there . 124 estates are also highly valued out there as opposed to being often seen as the poor relations to saloons and coupes here .

Not only Africa, Russia is awash with W140's W124's W126's W201's (190's) and some W202's.
Les

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom