What is the matter with people?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

littleowl

Car
C220 AMG Sport Edition Auto Estate, VW T5, Ducati Scrambler
Visiting my daughter’s at the mo and there is a car parked right across her driveway, blocking both our cars in. And it’s a Mercedes o_O. It’s not as if it’s a busy street either. Are people completely devoid of consideration these days - even if they aren’t staying long/whatever reason (but they have been there some time now), it would be a common courtesy to ask first?!

As it is neither of us are going out, but if we were we would have no idea where this driver is :mad:

Go out and start rocking it until the alarm goes off. You could also walk around it and photograph it and see if that attracts any attention. Unsure if it is an offence the Police would be bothered about unfortunately.

I get that a lot where I stay, including people reversing/turning in the drive..

I came home one day to find a car parked across the drive. I asked her to move and was told "Two Minutes" as she picked up her school kids.

About two days later and shes actually parked in the drive, again waiting for her school kids. Again I was greeted with "Aww.. its only for two minutes" as she couldn't find a parking space.. I turned on my heel back to the van, produced tow rope and marched to her vehicle "What do you think you're doing?" she asks "30 seconds Luv, and I'm pulling you out my drive way.." you'd never seen her drive off so fast...

But your right, its pure ignorance..

It's not ignorance, it's stupidity and selfishness. I don't mind people parking across the end of my drive, provided they stay with the car and move if necessary, but fortunately I've never had to deal with someone like her.

I'll be taking the grand daughter to school tomorrow and I can guarantee to see an example of parking across a driveway. Besides being stupid and selfish these people are lazy. In an urban area very few people can live so far from a primary school that they could't walk.

Many years ago a car was parked across my drive when I wanted to go out. The rest of the street was deserted! It was early morning and I didn’t want to disturb innocent people by blasting my horn. I walked over to the car and saw that keys were in the ignition, so I presumed the driver would soon reappear. But after a few minutes nobody arrived, so I got in and drove the car round the corner. Then I accidentally dropped the keys down the side of the seat where they were difficult to see and walked back home to get my car out. When I got home from work that evening, the other car was gone. I’ve no idea how long it took for the driver to find it and the keys, but I never saw them again.

Another time I was visiting a store in a tiny industrial estate. I came out to see that my car was blocked in. I went into all the other units asking if the driver was there, but to no avail. About 30 minutes after I wanted to leave, a guy nonchalantly walked into the car park from the roadside and went to the car blocking me in. When I challenged him he said “Calm down mate, I was only gone a couple of minutes.” There really is no answer for selfish inconsiderate people.

People like visitors to my existing next door neighbour. There’s no barrier between our driveways and mine being double width is seen by many as a convenient parking place. The penalty we pay for putting our car in the garage I suppose. I’ve even asked them not to park there but just get replies like “I’ll move it when you need to get your car out!” It’s not as if there’s nowhere else to park, there’s always plenty space in the road. What’s interesting is that most of OUR visitors park in the road, even some distance away where they’re not inconveniencing anyone.

I'll be taking the grand daughter to school tomorrow and I can guarantee to see an example of parking across a driveway. Besides being stupid and selfish these people are lazy. In an urban area very few people can live so far from a primary school that they could't walk.
A massive bone of contention around here. Of course the drivers who are too lazy to walk just blame the council for insufficient parking spaces outside the schools.

On the school note. (Sorry a little OT) My wife received a text at 2:30pm from our 13 year old daughters school.

All school buses have been cancelled due to strong winds. Your child can stay at school until collected.

I was working nearby so I went to get her. Total gridlock in and around the town. I parked up and walked 15-20 minutes to school.

I phoned our daughter and she came out. Apparently EVERY pupil in the school (800+) had to stay indoors until collected regardless of whether they use the school buses or not. How times change eh?

My wife moans about vans using our drive to turn around as we are in a cul de sac and have a wide drive so has taken to parking as per below!
0c2a4041e7480af8ca4ec96b29d068fe.jpg
a1a75c4a2f43699d5ffe2710bf9f075f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

AFAIK if you are blocked in your drive the police will/should take action but if you are blocked from getting in there is nothing they will do

Get a trolley jack, lift the rear wheels push the car into the middle of the road and leave it there
Does not work if FWD and in gear though......

Having said that a Land Rover of any ilk and some chains work wonders ;)

Reactions: 219
whilst you guys have random people parking their cars across your drive, i have a next door neighbour who loves to do just that, they have blocked me in a few times whilst i was in a rush to do the school run so i have been leaving a note everytime they do it, now being a very considerate neighbour they only block half of my drive so i have do like 10 maneuvers to get in or out. the odd thing is they have a private driveway around the corner and the whole street is full of free parking, they just like to park where my car is where it's near the main entrance building. i swear if it happens again, i'll have to do something a bit more drastic.

my mate who isn't as patient as me poured honey down the vent in front of the windscreen of the car who blocked him in, next morning the car inside and out became a new ants home. :D

Reactions: 219
A lot of patience in here. Dog mess under the handles (both drivers and passengers, mind) usually does the trick

Messy but not as mean as taking a Stanley to the tyres, or the old back door key to the paint work!

It's only an offence if the kerb is dropped but common courtesy even if it isn't. I've had a few block mine and asked them politely not to block it again and they haven't (although others have). If I don't need to go anywhere then I'm not too bothered as it's only when they pick up kids. But sometimes I have hospital appointments to go to and it is frustrating as not many stay in their cars. I don't get many now as they probably know I will have a word with them. The other drives across the road get blocked on a daily basis probably because no one says anything.

We had problems with inconsiderate (and dangerous) parking along the length of our road. On three occasions my driveway was completely blocked by various idiots. Neither the police nor the local council were interested in helping, despite the fact that my car was trapped on the driveway each time. The problem was solved, legally, by successfully petitioning the council to introduce parking restrictions from 8.00 am - 10.00 am and 2.30 pm - 3.30 pm from Monday to Friday. It means there is some inconvenience to residents, but at least we can now get into and out of our driveways, and do so in safety.

A person not too far from me lived beside a takeaway a few yrs back
And he was sick of cars blocking him in.
He keep a cordless drill in his porch and started going out up the driveway and drilled a little hole in
the front tyre .
Lucky the takeaway closed as the local tyre company was doing a roaring trade on Saturday mornings fixing puntures.

A person not too far from me lived beside a takeaway a few yrs back
And he was sick of cars blocking him in.
He keep a cordless drill in his porch and started going out up the driveway and drilled a little hole in
the front tyre .
Lucky the takeaway closed as the local tyre company was doing a roaring trade on Saturday mornings fixing puntures.

Many years ago when I lived in a house with road frontage there was a spate of tyre vandalism I was leaving home one morning to find a group of neighbours talking to a policeman in the street.

All of my neighbours had their tyres punctured except me.

As the copper was leaving he headed over for a chat with me, I told him that I had a friend who owned a tyre fitting firm. I'll never forget his words 'I'd keep that to myself if I was you sir'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom