What is the matter with people?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What....??? I cant see a QC or Barrister risking their career in this way (not to mention a criminal conviction) in order to help bale out a petty criminal..... ?

But you do have my sympathy for the rest of it.

What happened to the perpetrator? Was he ever convicted?

I think any semblence of ethics and facts were non-existent throughout. In either case, it could well be a coincidence, but at the same time I very much doubt it given the level of deceit and garbage she spewed throughout the defence. It was only in magistrates court so i doubt her crappy solicitor firm would be risking anything because there is no way in this lifetime that the crown prosecution service has enough braincells and time to do even the basics right. At one stage, the useless prosecutor (who has no legal background or qualification) asked the defendent what colour my cctv camera is ( 2 minutes prior i had said it was white and black while I gave evidence), he said it was brown. The point was he was claiming that he knew there was CCTV outside my house and would therefore not dare scratch my car. She never even challenged that basic error .

so prior to September 17 and after Oct 16, there were basically no real vandalism reports filed ( this is after the vandal was caught ) and suddenly a few days before the court case , some guy who doesn't live in the area walks by , spots my car and crosses road , looks at the reg and scratches it along the door panels then proceeds to scratch other cars. seems a bit odd to me. Somehow the defence knew about recent cases of vandalism ... ie the perpetrator is out there still and isn't my client because someone else is doing it.
Anyhow he was found not guilty in spite of the evidence submitted and other evidence showing him interfering with other cars was not presented even though I submitted it and lastly 2 eye witnesses saw him interfering with cars and were willing to give evidence . this was also not presented.

At the end of the day, I know where he lives and all of our neighbours know he vandalises our cars so it is up to them to deal with any new instances of vandalism.

I've moved house now. it is their battle now.

Not hijacking but the thread title is so appropriate for posting this
Dozens fined for driving wrong way on M11
Really, what is the matter with people in this country?

This does raise the question of to what extent can you break the law in order to overcome and obstacle in the road?

Surely you can cross a solid line or solid separation area when bypassing a broken-down vehicle stationary in your lane. So where does the law draw the line?

Would be interesting to see if one of those fined will decide to go to court over this.

This does raise the question of to what extent can you break the law in order to overcome and obstacle in the road?

Surely you can cross a solid line or solid separation area when bypassing a broken-down vehicle stationary in your lane. So where does the law draw the line?

Would be interesting to see if one of those fined will decide to go to court over this.
These were not crossing the solid line but were driving in the opposite direction, 86 of them??

These were not crossing the solid line but were driving in the opposite direction, 86 of them??
Yes, but on the hard shoulder with nothing else moving. I suspect the only problem would have occurred should the emergency services needed to use the HS.

Anyone can move onto the hard shoulder heading in the right direction even from stationary.

Whilst they should check the way is clear, they would only expect vehicles approaching from behind.

I had a car parked across my drive, at the time I had a car with a tow bar and ball on it, I reversed right into his 1/4 panel He never parked there again!

Reactions: 219
I had a car parked across my drive, at the time I had a car with a tow bar and ball on it, I reversed right into his 1/4 panel He never parked there again!

Did you have to fork out for damage or was it a sly job?

It was before English law changed, on private property (no hope of him making a claim) to any public area. It was dark I owned the road and it was dark, I was looking at the front of my car to clear my gates and I didn't see his VW , and no one else did. We had bad neighbours my Father kept asking them and there friends not to park across our gates . But some people just don't give a sh1t One day my Father came home to find they had parked across the gates, he was having a bad day anyway. So he turned his truck around (big bar on the back) reversed onto the offending car the just pushed it about 15 yards into a dike (deep ditch to none fen people) we had no more trouble. But why did we have to take such action?

I get that a lot where I stay, including people reversing/turning in the drive..

I came home one day to find a car parked across the drive. I asked her to move and was told "Two Minutes" as she picked up her school kids.

About two days later and shes actually parked in the drive, again waiting for her school kids. Again I was greeted with "Aww.. its only for two minutes" as she couldn't find a parking space.. I turned on my heel back to the van, produced tow rope and marched to her vehicle "What do you think you're doing?" she asks "30 seconds Luv, and I'm pulling you out my drive way.." you'd never seen her drive off so fast...

But your right, its pure ignorance..
If thy go away for a short time, I saw on youtube a guy went out and foamed the door shuts , never had any trouble after that. Word got around the school run very quickly.

Where apparently you can park on someones drive, i still think its against the law to park across a drop kerb blocking vehicles on a drive. In this case you can phone the police and it will be moved, unless they have changed the law on this too.

A few years back... I woke up to see the wife's car being towed away by the Council. They dropped it off on the other side of the road, and left a black PCN note on the windscreen.

I asked the traffic warden what happened? Apparently a lady parked her car in front of ours, leaving one inch of space from our car's front bumper. As luck would have it, someone else parked their car overnight in front of the lady's car... leaving one inch of space from her car's front bumper.

So the lady ended-up with her car 'locked' between two vehicles. She called the Council (Westminster) who send a recovery truck that moved my wife's car, in order to allow the lady to drive-off. The warden said there was no penalty and the PCN was there only to inform the owner that the car was moved by the Council. The reason they decided to move my wife's car (and not the car in front of the lady, or the lady's own car) was that it was parked in such a way that it was easiest for them to pick up.

I was uncharacteristically livid, and told them they had no right to move the car which was private property. The warden said the Council did have the right to move the car as it was causing an 'obstruction' (even though it wasn't our fault!).

The bottom line is that - assuming the traffic warden was right - the the Council does have the right to relocate vehicles causing an obstruction. But presumably only if the car is parked on a public road (and not in someone's drive).

PS - 'livid' would not begin to describe it had they tried to pick up the Merc!

A few years back... I woke up to see the wife's car being towed away by the Council. They dropped it off on the other side of the road, and left a black PCN note on the windscreen.

I asked the traffic warden what happened? Apparently a lady parked her car in front of ours, leaving one inch of space from our car's front bumper. As luck would have it, someone else parked their car overnight in front of the lady's car... leaving one inch of space from her car's front bumper.

So the lady ended-up with her car 'locked' between two vehicles. She called the Council (Westminster) who send a recovery truck that moved my wife's car, in order to allow the lady to drive-off. The warden said there was no penalty and the PCN was there only to inform the owner that the car was moved by the Council. The reason they decided to move my wife's car (and not the car in front of the lady, or the lady's own car) was that it was parked in such a way that it was easiest for them to pick up.

I was uncharacteristically livid, and told them they had no right to move the car which was private property. The warden said the Council did have the right to move the car as it was causing an 'obstruction' (even though it wasn't our fault!).

The bottom line is that - assuming the traffic warden was right - the the Council does have the right to relocate vehicles causing an obstruction. But presumably only if the car is parked on a public road (and not in someone's drive).

PS - 'livid' would not begin to describe it had they tried to pick up the Merc!

Many years ago when I used to park on the street outside the house that I owned at the time.

I parked up as normal on a cold night, many hours later I heard some performance outside so went for a look. The guy opposite had visitors and they parked on the road directly opposite my car and the gritter lorry couldn't get past so was hooting his horn furiously.

I tried explaining what had happened but he wasn't interested, in fact he told me to 'effin move it, naturally the neighbour's visitor was nowhere to be seen so I moved mine.

Where apparently you can park on someones drive, i still think its against the law to park across a drop kerb blocking vehicles on a drive. In this case you can phone the police and it will be moved, unless they have changed the law on this too.

I believe it is a "Civil matter" and the police will refer you to your local council.

Many years ago when I used to park on the street outside the house that I owned at the time.

I parked up as normal on a cold night, many hours later I heard some performance outside so went for a look. The guy opposite had visitors and they parked on the road directly opposite my car and the gritter lorry couldn't get past so was hooting his horn furiously.

I tried explaining what had happened but he wasn't interested, in fact he told me to 'effin move it, naturally the neighbour's visitor was nowhere to be seen so I moved mine.

Nothing like a good air horn to get the curtains ripped open!

If they are stopping your access to the Queens Highway, it is not a civil matter, it is a criminal offence under the Highways Act. Unfortunately the police are not that interested - I've called 101 about someone parking across the dropped kerb between my garage and the road, so I speak from experience. The chance of them appearing quickly and removing the offending vehicle is zilch!

As mentioned above, this only applies if you cannot get out of your garage onto the road, if they are stopping you getting your car from the road back into your garage - forget it!

If they are stopping your access to the Queens Highway, it is not a civil matter, it is a criminal offence under the Highways Act. Unfortunately the police are not that interested - I've called 101 about someone parking across the dropped kerb between my garage and the road, so I speak from experience. The chance of them appearing quickly and removing the offending vehicle is zilch!

As mentioned above, this only applies if you cannot get out of your garage onto the road, if they are stopping you getting your car from the road back into your garage - forget it!

I've reported cars parked on pavements - again blocking access to pedestrians "If not specifically prohibited, parking a vehicle on the pavement could lead to an offence of obstruction being committed. This could result in a fixed penalty notice being issued to offending vehicles. This is because parking on the pavement can obstruct pedestrians and wheelchair users forcing them to use the road to pass a parked vehicle."
But both council, traffic wardens and police have stated as long as even a tiniest part of the wheel is on the pavement -no offence has been committed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom