What is the most scenic road to drive on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Boss

MB Enthusiast
Car
private!
Here is a happy smiley thread to brighten up everyones day.

what is the most scenic, beautiful road in the UK, or anywhere to drive on??

or what road has the most amazing back drop?

I personally love the village of "DENT" in the Lake District.

Dukes Pass in the Queen Elizabeth Forest in the Trossochs. It is stunning and has amazing twists and turns. If you drive it from Aberfoyle to Callander direction you will eventually pass a modern Restuarant/Cafe called The Harbour Club on your right- it does lovely food and has a stunning view of the Loch. I've driven it several times but i drove it last week and it's still great.

The road is the A821.This is the type of view:

Last edited:
what is the most scenic, beautiful road in the UK, or anywhere to drive on??

Depends on time of year/weather and time of day and your taste in scenery.

My favourite from last year, though, is the B8083 to Elgol, on Skye.

Whenever a topic like this rears its head, its always roads in either the west country, North Yorkshire, Wales or Scotland that gets mentioned. Never anything within an hours drive of London. I dare say its probably quite easy to find a good road anywhere remote or lightly populated. The difficult one is to find something near London.
Living north-west Kent, I find the Weald offers many pleasant lanes, particularily around the Smarts Hill area. There is a first class pub well worthy of your consideration near there, namely The Spotted Dog. A good gastro pub and a lovely garden to boot with extensive views over the Weald.

Pretty much anything on the Isle of Wight.

Particular favourites are

A3054 from Ryde to Yarmouth... the first glimpses of the Solent as you approach Yarmouth...

A3055 "Military Road"... all the way from Freshwater to Shanklin...

Zig Zag Road, Ventnor, and Ventnor sea front...

Culver Down Road...

Duver Road at seaview...

Bulley's Hill, Ashey Shute and Longlane Shute (basically the "back way" from Brading to Newport)...

Worsley Road and Prince's Esplanade at Gurnard... (stop at the cafe for prawn salad)

The B3401 between Thorley and Calbourne...

And the absolute highlight... Alum Bay Old Road out to the Needles Battery... but you can only go on that road by bus... but it's well worth it!

Whenever a topic like this rears its head, its always roads in either the west country, North Yorkshire, Wales or Scotland that gets mentioned. Never anything within an hours drive of London. I dare say its probably quite easy to find a good road anywhere remote or lightly populated. The difficult one is to find something near London.
Living north-west Kent, I find the Weald offers many pleasant lanes, particularily around the Smarts Hill area. There is a first class pub well worthy of your consideration near there, namely The Spotted Dog. A good gastro pub and a lovely garden to boot with extensive views over the Weald.

When I used to live right over on the London/Kent borders I used to drive down through orpington and then head east.

I remember when I first bought my S, i took it down through Eynsford, then Knatts Valley and just kept heading south through Tonbridge Wells.
Ended up in Hastings, then went along the coast up to Broadstairs and back until I caught the A2.
I didn't plan any of it, nor did I use the sat nav-just drove till I needed a pee, and drove more!

Good times!

My vote without a doubt goes to the E69 in Norway. An amazing little road in the middle of nowhere particulary impressive in February at minus 42*c.

DSC00056.JPG

DSC00052.JPG

DSC00058.JPG

DSC00072.JPG

DSC00083.JPG

cool.JPG

/end photo-whoring

Last edited:
Bah, if you want proper snow in Norway what about this:
CIMG5552.jpg

or even this:

CIMG5546.jpg

...thats real snow

but the Atlantic road above Alesund...

and that was in my E430, great fun and hardly any cars on the road...
CIMG5627.jpg

...fantastic

Like meldrew2, I like the Isle of Wight.

The road which makes me happiest of all - and is pretty special too - is the A3055 between Shanklin and Ventnor. Luccombe Chine half way along would be a nice place to build a house.

Why? Great views. Nice blend of twists & turns, ups & downs, to make it fun, just a little challenging, and flattering of those with modest skills. Oh, and I'm usually going to - or coming back from - my favourite place to eat. The Spyglass Inn in Ventnor.

The A487 between Dolgellau and Machynlleth, in mid Wales.

Southbound is best, and the view towards Tal-y-llyn Lake is in my opinion the most uplifting vista I have ever seen, anywhere.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom