What is the paintwork warranty on a 2008 SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dijit

Car
Mercedes SL500
What is the paintwork warranty on a 2008 SL?
I ask as Mercedes are refusing to address rust on the back window frame on my wife's 2008 SL500. The car has a full MB service history.
My understanding is the bodywork is warranted for 13 years subject to having a full service history although quite what servicing has to do with rust prevention on a panel which is behind glass is a mystery to me.
We have had IIRC 7 Mercedes and this is the only one where there has been a claim under warranty. It is the second time on this car MB have refused to rectify under warranty. The other claim being the PSE pump which is a known problem where it was submerged due to faulty boot/roof seals.
Our company has other MB vehicles and is considering a ban on any further MB purchases in disgust at this failure to honour the warranty.
If I can establish that the paintwork warranty is correct at 13 years this is heading to court but I cannot find any reference to it in the various handbooks.
Thanks for any assistance.

The full service history is so the bodywork can be inspected at regular intervals.

Plenty of stories on here of declined paint claims so I am not surprised.

I wish you luck in your pursuit!

Paint is only 3 years, I think corrosion is 30 years ( in the mobilo section of your service booklet ) but I think it has to be from the inside out, corrosion on the edge will not be covered.
Boot seals are subject to wear and tear and rubber deteriorates over time, the pse pump is a consequence of the seals leaking. No manufacturer is going to pay for boot seals at that age.
Court is a nice idea but possibly a waste of money.

Sorry if I sound all doom and gloom about it :)

What is the paintwork warranty on a 2008 SL?
I ask as Mercedes are refusing to address rust on the back window frame on my wife's 2008 SL500. The car has a full MB service history.
My understanding is the bodywork is warranted for 13 years subject to having a full service history although quite what servicing has to do with rust prevention on a panel which is behind glass is a mystery to me.
We have had IIRC 7 Mercedes and this is the only one where there has been a claim under warranty. It is the second time on this car MB have refused to rectify under warranty. The other claim being the PSE pump which is a known problem where it was submerged due to faulty boot/roof seals.
Our company has other MB vehicles and is considering a ban on any further MB purchases in disgust at this failure to honour the warranty.
If I can establish that the paintwork warranty is correct at 13 years this is heading to court but I cannot find any reference to it in the various handbooks.
Thanks for any assistance.

What makes you think it's 13 years? What does it say in your documents? It doesn't sound like they've refused to repair under warranty, I think they've refused to repair it because the paintwork warranty has run out.

When your paintwork warranty runs out, goodwill usually covers rust repairs up to 8 years but nothing after that.

I've never come across anyone online or in-person, who has had rust repairs completed under warranty. Some people believe that the repairs were completed under warranty, but regardless of age it's always goodwill in my experience.

Thanks for the various replies.
It's clearly a fault in the metal preparation as the edge of the frame is not only painted but then has the windscreen sealant which holds the glass in place around the metal frame. It's the metal on the inside of the sealant which is corroded/rusting and that's behind the glass.
The rest of the panel which is "outside" exposed to the elements is fine.
To access it for repair the glass will have to be removed.
MB's reputation is about the quality and longevity of their product. If they no longer care about their reputation then is their value justified.
I still have a 1991 300TE 4-matic which has never been garaged and there is no trace of rust on that.
I wonder if the comment about variations by dealership plays a part as this is twice the service manager has assured us these two issues won't be a problem but then after allegedly discussing it with MB it is rejected. I even have him on record stating that the boot seals are an MB design fault which they never cured on the R230.
If MB won't deal with problems such as these then what's the point in spending money on maintenance with MB main dealerships when they are very competent indy's who can do the same work for a fraction of the cost?

Is this bodywork or trim that is rusting?

What makes you think it's 13 years? What does it say in your documents? It doesn't sound like they've refused to repair under warranty, I think they've refused to repair it because the paintwork warranty has run out.

When your paintwork warranty runs out, goodwill usually covers rust repairs up to 8 years but nothing after that.

I've never come across anyone online or in-person, who has had rust repairs completed under warranty. Some people believe that the repairs were completed under warranty, but regardless of age it's always goodwill in my experience.

I agree, it's always goodwill.
Anything past 3 years is Goodwill.

If somebody looks on epc, I expect you can buy the rear section with the glass attached and just fit a new one.

If you look at the drawing it's the "lip" that the back window sits on. Without removing the glass you cannot touch it, you can only see it through the glass. So it's not exposed to the elements. The only reason for it rusting is faulty prep at the factory.

Have another look at the epc, I think it's in group 77 for vario roof and soft top from memory. We are looking at the wrong picture. The vario roof is made up of lots of parts.

If MB won't deal with problems such as these then what's the point in spending money on maintenance with MB main dealerships when they are very competent indy's who can do the same work for a fraction of the cost?

I would argue the point of using MB anyway unless constrained by warranty or desperately wanting to keep Mobilo running...

Correction

I haven't actually looked at the car closely since November when we took it to the local MB main dealer. We only got a response last week.
So my reply yesterday was from memory which was wrong.
The rust is at the bottom of the glass on the frame so in fact it is exposed to the weather etc. It's along the whole length although I've only photographed a small section. Above the rust strip is the glass and below it is the boot lid.
Apologies for my confusion and I've attached a photo. The car is black although it looks blue in the pic.

Attachments

• Rust at edge of rear glass.jpg
    Rust at edge of rear glass.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom